Gutted - Is this an Insurance claim?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So today we found what I would call a substantial crack in the front panel just above the middle window.
Is this a insurance claim or would I seek a plastics expert to do a repair?
The van hasnt moved for over 15 months so has happened on my drive.
To say I'm gutted is really an understatement.

IMG_20201206_140546_3.jpg

IMG_20201206_140624_2.jpg

And before you say it, yes it needs a wash, was going to do it today as well!!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
What insurance cover would you have a claim on?

It looks a failing of the product, rather than any accident, what is typically covered by caravan insurances.

To me it looks a typical ABS mode of failure, is it a ABS panel?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even insurance backed warranties often exclude cracks in plastic panels. The bete noire of caravans. Old style construction may have not been quite as attractive to look at but quite cheap to repair if damp was spotted. You really need to look at your own insurance policy terms and conditions to get the best information.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Wow Kev, Mr Fleety is complaining about not going out, I would think an Insurance claim but probably for a plastics repair,
I remember you washing Mr Fleety three years ago.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Wow that's some split, sorry to see that! Has it let much damp into that section of the interior? A temp fix is called for whatever you decide for the repair to prevent further ingress.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, this looks like it is a panel failure which would not usually be covered by caravan insurance policies, or the caravan cover offered by CAMC. While the latter covers Accidental Damage, this is defined as "Damage that occurs suddenly as a result of an unexpected and non-deliberate external action that harms your caravan, its contents or equipment ". I have emphasised the words "external action" as you would need to show that the damage had been caused by a specific event. In addition, there is a specific exclusion of "Cracks to windows or panels unless this has been caused by accidental damage, fire,theft, vandalism, storm or flood." Other Caravan insurance policies may have slightly different wordings, but I would strongly suspect that they will have similar limitations.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Wear, tear and/or age. Will not be covered. But if it was struck by a falling branch.............!

At least you spotted it at home so can deal with it. May not have been seen for weeks in storage. Have you done a temporary seal, good quality, weatherproof tape.

John

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sad news Kev. It looks like a classic stress fracture, with no signs of extraneous impact damage although the extent of the fracture stress is unusual. Top to bottom but window intact? The strange factor is your front panel has been stable for years with no problem. Is there any possibility a heavily built person, scaffolder and the like, may have accidentally leant heavily on the front. The vertical fracture suggests a force has been applied at some time, eg an unknown person tripped and braced themselves on Mr Fleety?
I suggest you talk to your Insurers and start a claim now. Just remember it is incumbent upon your Insurer to show the damage is not extraneous. Just be honest and see what they say. You know where we are😇. Keep us posted.DD

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, this looks like it is a panel failure which would not usually be covered by caravan insurance policies, or the caravan cover offered by CAMC. While the latter covers Accidental Damage, this is defined as "Damage that occurs suddenly as a result of an unexpected and non-deliberate external action that harms your caravan, its contents or equipment ". I have emphasised the words "external action" as you would need to show that the damage had been caused by a specific event. In addition, there is a specific exclusion of "Cracks to windows or panels unless this has been caused by accidental damage, fire,theft, vandalism, storm or flood." Other Caravan insurance policies may have slightly different wordings, but I would strongly suspect that they will have similar limitations.
My vans insurance warranty for mechanical electrical and damp issues specifically excluded cracks to plastic panels. It’s a problem on many models. I’ve had three cracked panels replaced under makers warranty probably due to manufacturing shortcomings. But the one in the picture is well past the manufacturing time period which would normally see cracks appear. Although not relevant to the van above I’m always ultra careful if jacking a caravan up to minimise twisting as that could damage these quite flimsy panels. Has it been jacked for winter wheels, axle stands or a mobile tyre fitter?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wear, tear and/or age. Will not be covered. But if it was struck by a falling branch.............!

At least you spotted it at home so can deal with it. May not have been seen for weeks in storage. Have you done a temporary seal, good quality, weatherproof tape.

John
Such suggestions may be better by PM. Wonder why some are the first to moan when an insurer rejects a claim. Fraudulent claims can be spotted and make it very difficult to insure anything else after that. The industry ha an excellent data sharing network.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies folks and just for the record we have no trees's near us!!
Think was just hoping for the impossible, found this on my policy from Club Care (CCC)

Maintenance and Reasonable Care This policy does not cover maintenance of Your property whether such maintenance is routine or is caused by wear and tear. Insurers expect You, at Your cost, to maintain Your property in good repair, keep it secure and to take all practical steps to avoid loss or damage.

What is not covered
2) Depreciation, deterioration, manufacturing defects, general wear and tear, damage by pets, moth, vermin, rot, frost, water leakage or any gradually operating process such as rust or damp.

I have covered the split with a waterproof tape and so far there is no evidence of water ingress internally which makes me think it has happened within the last couple of days
So looks like searching for a repair it will be, will give insurance a ring on the off chance but wont be holding my breath.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies folks and just for the record we have no trees's near us!!
Think was just hoping for the impossible, found this on my policy from Club Care (CCC)

Maintenance and Reasonable Care This policy does not cover maintenance of Your property whether such maintenance is routine or is caused by wear and tear. Insurers expect You, at Your cost, to maintain Your property in good repair, keep it secure and to take all practical steps to avoid loss or damage.

What is not covered
2) Depreciation, deterioration, manufacturing defects, general wear and tear, damage by pets, moth, vermin, rot, frost, water leakage or any gradually operating process such as rust or damp.

I have covered the split with a waterproof tape and so far there is no evidence of water ingress internally which makes me think it has happened within the last couple of days
So looks like searching for a repair it will be, will give insurance a ring on the off chance but wont be holding my breath.
Hi Kev Good Luck with your caravan insurance i hope it a favourable outcome for you .

Reactions: Gagakev

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
So sorry to see this Kev.
Good luck with the insurance claim, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
There's a Practical Caravan article about ABS and GRP repairs here.
The repairer in the article appears to be Yorkshire based, but there are probably repairers in the South West.
If an insurance claim is rejected you have to decide whether it's better to pay for a repair or maybe part exchange Fleety.
A tough decision either way.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought Kev, but are there any local CCTV cameras that would show the front of your caravan?
Kids kicking footballs, throwing or even climbing on the caravan might have been a factor, you never know.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So sorry to see this Kev.
Good luck with the insurance claim, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
There's a Practical Caravan article about ABS and GRP repairs here.
The repairer in the article appears to be Yorkshire based, but there are probably repairers in the South West.
If an insurance claim is rejected you have to decide whether it's better to pay for a repair or maybe part exchange Fleety.
A tough decision either way.
Hi Parksy,
Been on this for a good few hours now and yes read the article earlier and thanks for searching for it for me.
will ring insurance tomorrow but in the mean time I have sent pictures in an email to The Plastic Surgeon for a quote, have used them once before for a UPVC window cill that got damaged and after there repair it was difficult to see the previous damage.

Reactions: Parksy
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought Kev, but are there any local CCTV cameras that would show the front of your caravan?
Kids kicking footballs, throwing or even climbing on the caravan might have been a factor, you never know.
No we are rural and no neighbours have any CCTV,
BUT thinking about it I had scaffold put up last week and that crossed my mind, but the lads would have told me, it was my company that put it up!!

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BUT thinking about it I had scaffold put up last week and that crossed my mind, but the lads would have told me, it was my company that put it up!!
Hi Kev been on to a caravan repairer where i live he told me what needed but not sure how to get it to you (it where i take my caravan and if i have more work)

Reactions: Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Aha Kev.
So there is a possibility one of the lads unknowingly swung a pole onto Mr Fleety without realising it? Do you have any photos of the scaffold around Mr Fleety? When you speak to your Insurers tell them the truth . It is strange that for 18 months all has been ok and then the crack appears as the scaffolding goes up. I’d say enough circumstantial evidence for the Insurer to consider. Do tell them you own the scaffold firm but didn’t do the actual job.
Good luck.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Even if the insurance company reject your claim they may be able to point you in the direction of someone that they normally recommend to do that sort of repair. The insurer will probably give you several options as they cannot show favouritism towards one company.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
That for me would point to how this damage occurred Kev.
Your caravan has been stored there for how long with no untoward happenings?
Scaffolding is erected, removed and damage suddenly appears for no reason?
Too much of a coincidence mate 😒
If somebody from your scaffolding company confessed to accidentally causing this damage, surely the company insurance would be liable?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts