Has anyone taken a Staffie X through France to Spain?

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
We have a rescue Staffie x *****, and have owned her since May 2010. We took her in July to get her Pet Passport to travel overland through France to Spain. However, there seems to be a question as to whether she will be allowed in either country. She is black and white, taller and thinner than a Staffie, but has a whip-like tail. Her face does resemble a Staffie but without the wide jaw. The vet thinks she is crossed with a collie. Her passport says that she is a"crossbreed". We are hoping to travel in our campervan to Caen, then down through France to Mojacar.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Sheila
If the pet passport says 'crosbreed' it should be fine if you were worried about her being classed as a dangerous breed. The thing you do have to be careful of with Spain is that they only count rabies jabs as valid for one year no matter what the signing vet says.

Our vet uses a rabies shot which is good for 2 years according to the manufacturers and the vet but evidently Spanish vets won't accept this so just a note of caution if you use one of these to visit Spain within year 1 of the jab.

Dave

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that. We will be returning to UK from Caen, so it will be a French vet we will use. Our vet seemed to think that they also require a yearly rabies inj.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Nick in France said:
I've no idea how accurate this is but from http://brittany.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=130019
Staffordshire bull terrier xbreeds are not allowed to be brought into France as they would mainly be considered as a pitbull type which is category 1.
So it might be worth checking, possibly with Brittany Ferries who seem pretty knowledgeable about the subject.
I would agree with Nick on this one - it's such a minefield that you really ought to get proper advice. If your pet passport describes the dog as a Staffordshire cross then this might not be accepted. It would be absolutely heart-breaking if she were not allowed in to France or into Spain - or even worse not allowed back. I know some sites won't accept Staffie-cross dogs - we saw one turned away this year and the owners were very upset.

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks for advice. Have followed the brittany link, and am now more confused than ever! The passport says "crossbreed" but it seems we could be in a situation where it will be a matter of someone's opinion. The Caravan Club's information is that the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is not considered a dangerous dog in France, but Spain has all sorts of rules governing these dogs and their crosses. I can stand being deported, but the thought of losing my dog doesn't bear thinking about.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
As a french resident, I did some research locally because my neice owns a staffie and wishes to bring it on a visit. It is not completely clear (like most regulations in France) but it seems a pure staffie with KC registration to support it should be allowed in but that may depend on the attitude at the port of entry. A dog looking liking a bull terrier but lacking a definitive registration will most likely be treated as a dangerous breed and prohibited entry - or worse, it may slip through but be subject to seizure later. Sorry.

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks vectisrambler. I did read on another website, that the French were dog-lovers, and that we could face deportation, but that they wouldn't sieze the dog. Again, it may come down to an opinion of the dog's appearance. She is crossed with a Collie, so has a leaner and taller frame.
I am now wondering if to travel by Euro tunnel, then we will face the French immigration before we get onto the train, or so I am led to believe.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
sheila.d said:
I am now wondering if to travel by Euro tunnel, then we will face the French immigration before we get onto the train, or so I am led to believe.
The same applies at Dover.
On the Western routes, the 'Pet Passport' & other animal checks are done at the normal check-in gates & there is not normally any sort of French immigration when you land.
I've done a bit more digging, it appears that the law is confused (what law isn't in France) & is enforced by the Police, which in practise means they make it up as they go along.
In your position, I would be tempted to contact the French Embassy & get their reply in writing.

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Have you checked the DEFRA site? We have two pedigree Staffie's and if they had not been pedigree's we would have had trouble in France this year! Cross bred staffie's are category 1, cannot import this kind of dog into France. See importation of animals into France. www.ambafrance-uk.org/
smiley-cool.gif

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Have you checked the DEFRA site? We have two pedigree Staffie's and if they had not been pedigree's we would have had trouble in France this year! Cross bred staffie's are category 1, cannot import this kind of dog into France. See importation of animals into France. www.ambafrance-uk.org/
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts