HEAD COUNT WHO IS OFF TO ITALY THIS YEAR

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I COULD NOT RESIST THIS AFTER READING THE ONE FOR FRANCE.

I`LL START

DOVER - CALAIS 5 JULY HEADING FOR LAKE GARDA,CAMPING BELLA ITALIA

2 NIGHT STOPS EN ROUTE, HEADING TOWARDS BASEL AND MILAN RETURNING 23 JUL REVERSE ROUTE.YOUR COMMENTS INPUT WELCOME

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We're having a rare change from France this year, We're setting off from Hull on July 24th and are staying at Norcenni Girasole from the 27th for 14 nights.ferry home aagin on August 12th. We don't know where we're staying on our way down and back yet so any ideas would be appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy - we've already been! Well actually only for one day, when we stayed in Switzerland near Interlacken. Whatever you do don't use the Semplan pass to get to Italy as it rises to about 6000 feet up some very long and steep gradients - at these heights your car will start gasping for oxygen and lose power! It was noticeable even driving solo. Stick to the Autoroutes & take the tunnels through the Alps. We went to Lake Maggiore in Northern Italy calling into Boveno and Strega which were superb resorts. Remember to get your vignettes to use the Swiss roads, they cost about

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
We've stayed at Norcenni Girasole a couple of times. Very big site with everything. Pitches are of reasonable size but some tiny ones. Young guy on a scooter leads you to a pitch, but refuse it if you don't like it. There's a coach every morning into Florence - also others to Pisa and Rome. We stayed overnight at Sempach in Switzerland. They'll accept payment in Euros. Enjoy it

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Following Mikes's advice about the Simplon Pass between Italy and Switzerland, I am surprised he is against using it. We have used this route several times on our way home. Sure it is quite a long pull ( I think 13 miles from the Italian side ), but I would not say it is especially steep. I do agree that it goes up to about 6000 feet and the air is quite thin at the top. We were once stopped at traffic lights for roadworks near the top and pulling away was a little slow until the turbo cut in. I would say the biggest problem is the narrowness in some places of the road. This will improve as construction work is well underway. To me this route is far better than a three hour queue to get through the Gotthard tunnel ( where many cars were overheating ). At the end of the day the choice is yours.

Happy travels BarryB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Following Mikes's advice about the Simplon Pass between Italy and Switzerland, I am surprised he is against using it. We have used this route several times on our way home. Sure it is quite a long pull ( I think 13 miles from the Italian side ), but I would not say it is especially steep. I do agree that it goes up to about 6000 feet and the air is quite thin at the top. We were once stopped at traffic lights for roadworks near the top and pulling away was a little slow until the turbo cut in. I would say the biggest problem is the narrowness in some places of the road. This will improve as construction work is well underway. To me this route is far better than a three hour queue to get through the Gotthard tunnel ( where many cars were overheating ). At the end of the day the choice is yours.

Happy travels BarryB
Barry - you must have a better head for heights than me! When we returned to Switz we went through the Gotthard pass without any delay - perhaps it's quieter in the spring than summer. What do you tow with?

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Andy - we've already been! Well actually only for one day, when we stayed in Switzerland near Interlacken. Whatever you do don't use the Semplan pass to get to Italy as it rises to about 6000 feet up some very long and steep gradients - at these heights your car will start gasping for oxygen and lose power! It was noticeable even driving solo. Stick to the Autoroutes & take the tunnels through the Alps. We went to Lake Maggiore in Northern Italy calling into Boveno and Strega which were superb resorts. Remember to get your vignettes to use the Swiss roads, they cost about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Barry - you must have a better head for heights than me! When we returned to Switz we went through the Gotthard pass without any delay - perhaps it's quieter in the spring than summer. What do you tow with?
Mike - When I tell you that we tow with a Discovery you may say 'I expected so'. Our 'van though was a large twin axle with an all up weight of some 1700kgs. We have just replaced it with a Bucaneer Schooner with a MIRO of 1650kg. I would be happy to take this over the Simplon also. I must admit though that for the last few trips we have use the German route to Italy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike - When I tell you that we tow with a Discovery you may say 'I expected so'. Our 'van though was a large twin axle with an all up weight of some 1700kgs. We have just replaced it with a Bucaneer Schooner with a MIRO of 1650kg. I would be happy to take this over the Simplon also. I must admit though that for the last few trips we have use the German route to Italy.
Barry - perhaps it's less scary when it's not covered in snow! Mind you I expect that your Disco would cope pretty well in snow too. We tow a 1300kg van with our BMW 525d Touring, which is the best tug we've had. I did notice a slight reduction in power at the top of the pass though, have you noticed any difference? The descent to Italy is 20 km at 1:10 in parts, pretty long and steep if you're going up?!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Barry - perhaps it's less scary when it's not covered in snow! Mind you I expect that your Disco would cope pretty well in snow too. We tow a 1300kg van with our BMW 525d Touring, which is the best tug we've had. I did notice a slight reduction in power at the top of the pass though, have you noticed any difference? The descent to Italy is 20 km at 1:10 in parts, pretty long and steep if you're going up?!
Hi Mike

Not in Snow!!!!! You've got me there. I have not really noticed any loss of power and infact there is a fairly level section just before the top where I have even got back into 5th gear. A few years ago, before the tunnel near Domodosolla, there was a long pull and a full hairpin bend which was quite difficult with even a short outfit. One return journey did cause problems on the pass. We had stayed the night before on Lake Maggiore and endured a dreadful electric storm. An early start saw us heading for the pass with very little oncoming traffic. Then at the border we were shocked to find the barrier down. The pass was closed! The guards told us there was a 'pebble' in the road, brought down in the night by the storm. A bit anoyed we returned the 40 miles back to the lake to pick up another route through the Gotthard. The translation of a boulder or rock or half a mountain into a pebble did bring about some laughs though.

Happy travel BarryB

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Try Camping Punta Doro in Iseo on Lake Iseo just north of Brescia. They have a good website in English under www.puntadoro.com. Small pitches but I can get my big van in as everybody helps. Superb family run site literally on the the lake side. Last time our towhitch was hanging the wall and water. Town 10 minutes walk absolutely stunning.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Alan - I agree with the sentiment of your comment, but how? When we entered Switzerland at Basal the Customs Officer was checking for vignettes, especially as the only way out was on the Autoroute, and most minor roads take you directly onto the Autoroutes. Failure to display the vignettes results in heavy fines.
Yes it is extremely difficult to avoid the motorway AND the expressways. You need a vignette for car and caravan which is pricey if you are only passing through! I go in through Modane France and take the Col not the tunnel for really superb views, takes longer but what the h...we are on holiday.

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy

am also going there but in 3 weeks time after 14 years going to France....my route is calais, lille, luxembourg, metz...cant decided then to basle, and through gothard Milan garda,

Any thoughts on the Metz to Basle stretch????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi KEITH

Thats the same way i went 2 years ago it was a little busy at Basle due to a lot of reconstruction work and busy around Milan.I think its a case of better the devil you know !

Where are you staying en route ?

Have a safe journey and a good holiday

regards

Andy

May 2, 2005
Visit site
thanks andy...dont know were i will stop yet, getting evening ferry from dover, early start on the other side, i generally drive till nearly dark. If in france usually stay in an 'Aire'

Take it as it comes....still need some advice on the route from Luxembourg to Basle??

May 8, 2005
Visit site
We have done the Lake Geneva on to Soin and the Simplon Pass we found it ok but when stopped at the bottem our hubcaps on the caravan had melted, a plus if you go that way is you do not hit any motor ways so you do not have to get vignettes so saving

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we are off to italy this year this is the third year in a row each time we have gone through switzerland we stay at a site called camping sursee (www.camping-sursee.ch) great little site good clean facilities takes 1 night stop overs which is hard to find in switzerland.We go through gottard tunnel and have found night time journeys through are best.We are of to camping tahiti which is about 60 miles south of venice great site for families and compared with spain is great value for money.Happy holidays

May 8, 2005
Visit site
Went to Garda 2 years ago. Stay overnight in Metz (Municipal) and 4 nights in Luzern (Lido), both very good. Used St. Gothard tunnel (both ways) no problem or queue but it was about 8am Monday morning. Milan area very busy (lunchtime) and service areas small and busy. Understand tunnel very busy on Saturday and Sunday and particularly in August. There are usually some overnight closures July / August details on tunnel website.

Regards.

David G

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike

Not in Snow!!!!! You've got me there. I have not really noticed any loss of power and infact there is a fairly level section just before the top where I have even got back into 5th gear. A few years ago, before the tunnel near Domodosolla, there was a long pull and a full hairpin bend which was quite difficult with even a short outfit. One return journey did cause problems on the pass. We had stayed the night before on Lake Maggiore and endured a dreadful electric storm. An early start saw us heading for the pass with very little oncoming traffic. Then at the border we were shocked to find the barrier down. The pass was closed! The guards told us there was a 'pebble' in the road, brought down in the night by the storm. A bit anoyed we returned the 40 miles back to the lake to pick up another route through the Gotthard. The translation of a boulder or rock or half a mountain into a pebble did bring about some laughs though.

Happy travel BarryB
Hi Barry - we got caught out in the same way too! Luckily we were travelling solo, from Italy back to Switz, when the sat nav directed us off the Autoroute from Lucerne to Interlacken up a pass. We failed to notice the sign in German stating it was closed which meant I had to turn ariund on a very small mountain road, with no crash barriers at about 7000 feet! Spooky eh!

May 5, 2005
Visit site
September down Castelvechio de preci just below perugia via Switzerland and the St Gothard stopping at Lake garda for a couple of days and then back to France.

Ah the Magic of Ialy (and the mayhem) I just Love it

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We're having a rare change from France this year, We're setting off from Hull on July 24th and are staying at Norcenni Girasole from the 27th for 14 nights.ferry home aagin on August 12th. We don't know where we're staying on our way down and back yet so any ideas would be appreciated.
Bernadette - I assume you are going via Rotterdam or Zeebrugge -I have done this journey and with the limited time available to you I would head for Brussells then Liege- Luxenburg-( Moselle Valley if you have time as this is where we stop overnight)- then to stuttgart - Ulm - down to Austria - pay vignette fee for short distance to Brenner Pass and the down to Florence and your campsite. the only tolls are from Austria and Italy.

Have a good holiday and the girasole is a great site and very central for tuscany.

Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
Hi Barry - we got caught out in the same way too! Luckily we were travelling solo, from Italy back to Switz, when the sat nav directed us off the Autoroute from Lucerne to Interlacken up a pass. We failed to notice the sign in German stating it was closed which meant I had to turn ariund on a very small mountain road, with no crash barriers at about 7000 feet! Spooky eh!
Hi All

My wife and I are about to set off for Lake Garda towing our twin axle Bailey Wyoming with an Auto 2.5 Diesel Range Rover via Camping Tennsee at Mittenwald then over the Brenner Pass. We are staying at a small site, Ai Salici near Torre del Benaco. My wife hates tunnels so to avoid the St Gottard one we are planning to take the Simplon Pass and Grimsel Pass to Interlarken from the Maggiore area in mid June. Anyone any comments or observations and any info on decent overnight stops on A8 Luxembourg to Ulm stetch of the route.

Regards John D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts