Help, Need advice on a secondhand caravan purchase

Jun 7, 2006
Visit site
I purchased a 1999 Atlas Everglade the end of April from a popular caravan park for £11,000. I was told when i paid for it that it would be ready the next weekend. When I got there there were no curtains, nets, a worktop had not been fixed as promised and it was filthy along with other problems. I spent 4 hours cleaning. The next weekend I took the family up and noticed the basin in the toilet was sinking and was told by one of the workmen that came to check it the floor had gone in several places.They said they would replace the passage,toilet and back bedroom floors while I was abroad for 2 weeks but they have only patched in the toilet.Where the fridge is sinking they have said it needs propping up at the back. The are putting things off and I think this is becuse I have been so nice about things. This is my first caravan and I am devastated that myself and my children cannot use it happily.On top of this they are using my gas, electric and water when they have been round and leaving the mess for me to clean up.Does anyone know where I stand?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nicola, sorry to hear of your problems, but,the only sensible option is to demand all your money back, as the van is obviously not fit for the purpose, and under the sale of goods acts, you are entitled to a refund.

Dont be nice, get Trading Standards involved.

If you have a sloicitor, a letter from him may be very helpful also, if not,get Citizens Advice involved on your behalf.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nicola - as Damian has stated you are entitled to a full refund under the sale of goods act as the van as sold is not fit for purpose. Write and state that if you do not get satisfaction that you will put the matter in the hands of your solicitor and will see them in court. Any legal expences incurred will also be awarded against them. If they are a reputable caravan park they will settle as any adverse publicity in the press/tv would be bad for business. Also try BBC Watchdog and see what they have to say. Keep a record of any correspondance and verbal communications at all times noting the date, time and name of person you spoke to. Try to have a witness at all verbal exchanges. Good luck as in my opinion you have a cast iron case against them. Let us know how it develops.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Nicola,

Your report on the condition on the caravan makes it sound quite poor. It sounds as though teh van is not fit for purpose, and the seller/trader is subject to the sale of goods Act.

I endorse the comments from the previous contributors but I am concerned that we do not have all the facts. You do not say, so I assume the caravan was second hand. This is significant because some wear and tear is to be expected with pre used items. The age affects how much deterioration may be expected, and what would constitute a reasonable and fair condition.

You would also need to look carefully at the terms and conditions of sale on your paperwork. That may clarify certain items.

I have no idea about the retail value of secondhand static or mobile homes, so I do not know what you might expect for that amount of money.

Considering the large amount of money involved, I am surprised you did not seek to have an independant survey and valuation carried out (just like on house. This should have identified the problems you have subsequently found, and you may have thought twice about the purchase.

I hope the seller is reasonable about refunding or making good repairs.

Jun 7, 2006
Visit site
Thank you all for replying. The caravan is secondhand and reading all the paperwork (which was only an A4 receipt with the caravan name, age, date and price) it does not state anywhere that it is sold as seen.It does state on the paperwork that we have a choice of plot and free chains for the gas bottles.These we did not get. Would it be reasonable to ask for them to exchange the caravan for another of the same value or lesser value and am I able to do this? as I don't want to leave the site as we have saved up to afford to buy there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts