Hereford!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your Lordship,I have just had the misfortune to drive through your beloved city.(perhaps that should be beleaguered city) The building of a new superstore for the peasants is causing much disruption, and is taking far too long.Will you please go down to the site and put a bit of stick about, to hurry them on?I'm sure you would have more influence than their current bosses!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Ain't it great emmerson. It will be like this until well into 2007. Thankfully Screwemm Hall is on the fair side of our city so I haven't much need to go that way. We must be one of only a few places of any size without a ring road and I don't think we ever will, certainly not in my time. Even in national newspapers traffic reports, Hereford is mentioned as a place to avoid. On the major A49 north/south trunk road just about everywhere has it's bypass, even a little village like Brimfield with a population of about 200. When we were the County of Hereford & Worcester our neighbours did well out of the partnership. Worcester had a northern bypass, Eastern bypass and Southern bypass, we have nothing. Since we have split and are now back to pre 1974 boundaries but we are still awaiting a solution to our traffic problems :O(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. I do not understand the reason behind the traffic problem in Hereford - there is nothing there to attract the visitor. The best thing about Hereford is the road out.

Seriously I spent a few days in Hereford doing a survey of a building opposite Marks & Spencers - the vaulted basement to the building, which was once a dispensing chemist, was a true work of art and a compliment to the designer and contractor of the Victorian era. We stayed in a Tudor style hotel just opposite a covered market area. The accommodation there was excellent. Incidentally I did not find any hostility to me as a Welshman so I have now come to the conclusion that this threat of killing Welshmen on the street using an arrow is purely a figment of your imagination.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B. I do not understand the reason behind the traffic problem in Hereford - there is nothing there to attract the visitor. The best thing about Hereford is the road out.

Seriously I spent a few days in Hereford doing a survey of a building opposite Marks & Spencers - the vaulted basement to the building, which was once a dispensing chemist, was a true work of art and a compliment to the designer and contractor of the Victorian era. We stayed in a Tudor style hotel just opposite a covered market area. The accommodation there was excellent. Incidentally I did not find any hostility to me as a Welshman so I have now come to the conclusion that this threat of killing Welshmen on the street using an arrow is purely a figment of your imagination.
It obviously wasn't a Sunday - hehheh!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hereford is one of my favourite places ,i go to Lucksall caravan quite a lot ,in fact i shall be there from the 15th of June nice large pitches right beside the river Wye ,its nice and tranquil what more could you ask for

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid his lordship is right. Worcester merged with us ripped us of then done a moon light flit.

Leominster has a good by pass north/south but the east/west one stops at the Morrisons car park unless you fancey green laneing it in a 4X4.

The main problem with Hereford traffic is not the volume of it but, the fact that all the traffic lights are not integrated and sequentially controlled to maintain flow. In my daily commute to Worcester, if I get the first red light at St Johns it takes 8 mins more to get to work by shrubhill station than if I get green's all the way.

Still sleepy Leominster is king, it got it's first pelican crossing ten years ago and has only three zebra crossings. also it only has one set of traffic lights and even those are not set to the most efficient, ie traffic detection, instead of set sequence control.

Oh well back to the slate and chalk.

Steve Ll

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
It's not just the lights Steve, if you need to get anywhere south of the river you have to go via Belmont roundabout where both roads over the river merge (and one of those bridges is 600 years old). What is the answer, according to our planners to build an Asda store, about 50 houses and leisure facilities, all on the roundabout. Another problem is they make roads one way or close them stopping people taking alternative routes so all traffic is fed into just a few main roads through Hereford (the main trunk roads like the A49,A438,A4103,A465). The planners answer is to put in another set of traffic lights then they go bury their heads in the sand again, hence like Commercial Rd. you can't go 100 yards between lights. I was in Minehead last Autumn in a shop and someone near me was giving road directions to an aqaintance and telling them to leave early because they need to pass through Hereford before 7.30am. Our road system hasn't changed for 1,500 years, all they have done is tarmac the cart tracks and drover roads :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gentlemen if you wish to visit a town of traffic lights why not visit Bridgend? There are more red lights in Bridgend than there are in Soho on a weekend. They have even put traffic lights to control the flow of traffic on rounabouts, which were working very well up until then. There are so many sets of lights in the district nowadays that it is impossible to count them.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
It's not just the lights Steve, if you need to get anywhere south of the river you have to go via Belmont roundabout where both roads over the river merge (and one of those bridges is 600 years old). What is the answer, according to our planners to build an Asda store, about 50 houses and leisure facilities, all on the roundabout. Another problem is they make roads one way or close them stopping people taking alternative routes so all traffic is fed into just a few main roads through Hereford (the main trunk roads like the A49,A438,A4103,A465). The planners answer is to put in another set of traffic lights then they go bury their heads in the sand again, hence like Commercial Rd. you can't go 100 yards between lights. I was in Minehead last Autumn in a shop and someone near me was giving road directions to an aqaintance and telling them to leave early because they need to pass through Hereford before 7.30am. Our road system hasn't changed for 1,500 years, all they have done is tarmac the cart tracks and drover roads :O)
It's almost laughable how our planners install so called improvements and don't flow control traffic lights to maximise flow. I actually took a job in Worcester as It is quicker to commute 30 miles each way there, rather than try to work on the rotherwas industrial estate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts