Hitchdrive

Dec 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi, What do you think about the Purpleline Hitchdrives? I am young fit(ish) man but could do with a bit of help getting van hitched up (when alone) and into my hardstanding storage bay. Would apprciate your comments and before you say I can't afford a poer mover at the moment?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
If it was my choice & i could not afford a mover, one of these front towbars would be a lot more use, just watch the video & it is a cheaper option...

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
IMO praise for the Hitch drive is incredibly thin on the ground but there are lots of second-hand ones for sale. If you can easily move the van yourself the Hitch drive will probably cope well!!!

Together with all other hitch end drives its traction is severely limited by the weight it puts on the ground. In the Hitch drives case you stand on a plate to increase the force on the wheel; then are the handles are too close to get the effort into them?

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have bought a Hitchdrive and find it suitable for my needs,

My driveway is flat and tarmac'd but is very tight and I only have about 1"1/2 clearance either side. I can now move the caravan in and out of the driveway single handed without hitting both walls either side of the caravan.

I have tried it on grass and gravel and was useless.

If you don't expect too much from it and are going to use it on flat firm ground it will do a job for you.

I got mine ex-display for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Peter,

I think that Stephen has summed up the practical limitations of the hitch drive rather well. It also applies to virtually all "A" frame mounted movers.

If all you need is to move the caravan on a flat hard standing, then they are fine, but as soon as you need one to negotiate inclines, gravel or grass, then their primary limitation is the lack of grip.

JTQ has provide a clue as to their ability, but rather than look at what they can do, consider what they can't do. As with most incidents, it's the ability to stop rather than to go. So if you personally would have any difficulty in stopping a caravan from moving, an A frame mover will have the same difficulty.

For many people the benefit of a mover of any kind is not just to help store the caravan, but to be able to position it on site. So it needs to be available. The hitch drive and most other A frame movers have to attached each time you want to use it. That implies the need to be able to lift it in and out of the caravan/towing vehicle at each end of the journey.

By comparison the axle mounted movers are always there ready to be used. Plus they have far superior traction giving better manoeuvrability on most surfaces and most importantly they will stop a caravan on a slope.

By all means go for a Hitch drive provided you are fully conversant with its limitations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts