Homebase gaslight

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I've just switched over from calor lite to BP gaslight. I've bought an adaptor and pigtail for my bulkhead regulator. When I tried it this weekend the gas did flow but was really weak at the oven and hob. I removed the adaptor (clip on type) and depressed the button/plunger on the top of the cylinder to try and get the gas to flow but none came out not even a hiss. Am I missing something? The gas should be propane and the outside air temperature was about 8 degrees centigrade
Thanks

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Probably an unhelpful question, but always good to cover the basics: was there gas in the bottle? They hadn't sold you an empty one by mistake?
Mel

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Nope they're both full I'm just unsure if the gas should come out when I depress the button on the cylinder.
Once I can be certain one way or another I can look at the next possible cause which might be the regulator
Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The only connectors I have been able to find for the Homebase bottles also contains a regulator. If your hose also has a regulator then you would have two regulators running in series. That would certainly reduce gas flow.

I'm not familiar with the Homebase bottles, so I cant comment about what might happen if you depress the point inside the bottle top., But certainly there should be no lack of pressure given the bottles was not empty and the temperature was about 8C.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
758 said:
I've just switched over from calor lite to BP gaslight. I've bought an adaptor and pigtail for my bulkhead regulator. When I tried it this weekend the gas did flow but was really weak at the oven and hob. I removed the adaptor (clip on type) and depressed the button/plunger on the top of the cylinder to try and get the gas to flow but none came out not even a hiss. Am I missing something? The gas should be propane and the outside air temperature was about 8 degrees centigrade
Thanks

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/propane-clip-on-adaptor-27mm/3324

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The adaptor I've bought is purely that, much in the same way as the previous attachment I had was a red plastic thumb wheel type device which I used for many years with calor bottles.
So to clarify I only have one regulator in place which is the bulkhead mounted one

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
758 said:
Thanks

]https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/propane-clip-on-adaptor-27mm/3324
https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/propane-clip-on-adaptor-27mm/3324[/quote
That’s a useful link, but can you use a butane pigtail on a propane supply. Clearly the physical connection allows this but are there any rules relating to usage of gas and hoses. Reason I’m asking is that I have always used flexible hoses that are compatible with the gas being supplied from the bottle.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I specified a 'BP gaslight' hose when I purchased my caravan new. It came with an clip on attachment as per the link and a hose which isn't marked either propane or butane, just the date and pressure rating. As it's a high pressure hose (before the regulator) I assume it's suitable for both.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
I read this interesting piece written by a retired dealer, Derek Uzzell. (2010)

For the sizes of ‘normal’ Calor BUTANE canister likely to be employed in motorhomes, the 4.5kg container has a male left-hand-threaded valve-outlet to accept a ‘screw-on’ butane regulator, while the 7kg and 15kg canisters use a clip-on butane regulator to fit a valve-outlet with a 21mm external diameter.

There is also a Calor 6kg “BBQ Gas” BUTANE canister that you’d think might have a 21mm valve-outlet suitable for the same clip-on butane regulator as used for 7kg/15kg cylinders. However, (apparently) “BBQ Gas” bottles have a 27mm external diameter valve-outlet, so need a different clip-on butane regulator.

The sizes of ‘traditional’ Calor PROPANE canisters generally used in motorhomes are the 3.9kg, 6kg and 13kg. These all use a propane regulator with a male left-hand-threaded connector that screws into the bottle’s female-threaded valve-outlet.

Calor does market 5kg and 13kg “Patio Gas” canisters. These also contain PROPANE, but use a clip-on propane regulator connecting to a valve-outlet with a 27mm external diameter. I’ve no idea how many (if any) motorcaravanners actually use Patio Gas bottles, but I do remember them being suggested for leisure-vehicle usage when they were first marketed, as the clip-on propane regulator simplifies their connection.

Lots of stuff about Calor cylinders and regulators on

http://www.calor.co.uk/customer-services/faqs/regulator-guide/
http://camping-gas.com/Browse.asp?BrandFilter=Calor Gas&ContainerFilter=All
Details of Flogas cylinders can be found on:

http://www.flogas.co.uk/buy-online/gas-cylinders/
It appears that Flogas use the same regulator arrangement as Calor for all their PROPANE canisters – ie. a propane regulator with a male left-hand-threaded connector that screws into the bottle’s female-threaded valve-outlet is normally employed, except for Flogas’s “Leisure Gas” cylinders that use a clip-on propane regulator to fit a valve-outlet with a 27mm external diameter (same as for Calor’s “Patio Gas” bottles).

However, you’ll note that the Flogas BUTANE bottles use a clip-on butane regulator to fit EITHER a valve-outlet with a 20mm external diameter OR (for the vomit-coloured 7kg butane bottle) a clip-on butane regulator to fit a valve-outlet with a 21mm external diameter (ie. the same butane regulator as Calor use for their 7kg and 15kg butane containers).

BP’s “Gas Light” PROPANE bottles have a valve-outlet with a 27mm external diameter to take a clip-on propane regulator (same as Calor’s “Patio Gas” and Flogas’s “Leisure Gas” containers).

The above should show why a 30mbar regulator, suitable for propane or butane and mounted off the gas canister, has now been adopted as the standard for leisure vehicles. In principle at least, whatever the valve-outlet used on a gas container and whatever the gas inside the container, it should now be straightforward (with appropriate gas-hoses/adapters) to link the gas bottle to the leisure vehicle’s gas system without worrying about regulator compatibility.

As has already been said, Calor agents won’t accept non-Calor bottles in exchange and (normally) will demand that you pay for a ‘rental agreement’ if you haven’t got a suitable bottle to exchange. Flogas agents may be more flexible as, even though they won’t want Calor bottles, they may be prepared to lob you a full Flogas bottle even if you can’t provide an empty Flogas bottle in exchange.

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I visited the caravan today, removed the pigtail hose and adaptor from the bulkhead regulator I attached it to the gaslight bottle and opened the valve. Gas came out of the adaptor.
On returning home I took a calor lite bottle and opened up the valve, again the gas flowed out but this time judging by the noise it was flowing at a much higher rate.
Would I be wrong to expect the two manufacturers' bottles to have similar flow rates before you attach a regulator? Or is it possible that somehow I find myself with two faulty gaslight bottles?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
758 said:
I visited the caravan today, removed the pigtail hose and adaptor from the bulkhead regulator I attached it to the gaslight bottle and opened the valve. Gas came out of the adaptor.
On returning home I took a calor lite bottle and opened up the valve, again the gas flowed out but this time judging by the noise it was flowing at a much higher rate.
Would I be wrong to expect the two manufacturers' bottles to have similar flow rates before you attach a regulator? Or is it possible that somehow I find myself with two faulty gaslight bottles?

I return to the thought that the pigtale and adaptor you have may in fact be a regulator. This would certainly reduce the outflow of gas and offer it at a pressure the bulkhead regulator cannot work with. It would certainly fit teh symptoms you report.

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The pigtail is not new but was supplied new to me when I bought the caravan from new. I received two identical pigtails one for use with calor bottles via a gaslow thumbwheel fitting and the other came with a Push on butane fitting which I have substituted with a clip on propane adaptor. I purchased this from Campbell's Caravans and the lady who dealt with me asked exactly that to ensure that I wasn't in fact using two regulators in effect"in line" so hopefully you'll see why I'm so puzzled

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
758 said:
The pigtail is not new but was supplied new to me when I bought the caravan from new. I received two identical pigtails one for use with calor bottles via a gaslow thumbwheel fitting and the other came with a Push on butane fitting which I have substituted with a clip on propane adaptor. I purchased this from Campbell's Caravans and the lady who dealt with me asked exactly that to ensure that I wasn't in fact using two regulators in effect"in line" so hopefully you'll see why I'm so puzzled

I think that you should contact the dealer that sold you the pigtail. Clearly you explained what you wanted to do before you purchased, and as its does not seem to perform the function for which you purchased it.the goods are not fit for purpose. Read up about the Consumer Rights Act 2015 then speak to your seller and discuss the options.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts