How to clean the roof of a caravan?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Another question, how do you do it without a hosepipe? I can no longer get my van home and I need to do it in storage. I have seen rechargeable pressure washers on sale - low pressure from a bucket, but no really good reviews. I would never stand on the roof of our Eldiss its so poorly make I would go through it.
For the price of some, the cost is equivalent to at least 3- 4 annual caravan washes by a professional.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another question, how do you do it without a hosepipe? I can no longer get my van home and I need to do it in storage. I have seen rechargeable pressure washers on sale - low pressure from a bucket, but no really good reviews. I would never stand on the roof of our Eldiss its so poorly make I would go through it.
Well apart from the obvious bucket and brush, there are one or two slightly more advanced systems you might consider. You have already mentioned the pressurised container, which is basically a garden or paint sprayer unit which you pressurise by hand. These only deliver realtively small amounts of fluid so good for getting the cleaning solution onto the roof, but not perhaps strong enough for rinsing off after brushing.

There used to be a car wash system that used 25L container and what looked remarkably like a caravan 12V submersible pump. If your only using it for rinsing water then there's no reason why you shouldn't use your normal Aqua roll and a spare caravan pump. This can deliver water to what ever type of fitting you like.

I have actually used a shureflow pump in a similar way for a different cleaning job., I just used a normal garden trigger handle and becasue teh pump had a built in pressure switch it just shut off when I released the hand trigger.

Reactions: Danddandy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well apart from the obvious bucket and brush, there are one or two slightly more advanced systems you might consider. You have already mentioned the pressurised container, which is basically a garden or paint sprayer unit which you pressurise by hand. These only deliver realtively small amounts of fluid so good for getting the cleaning solution onto the roof, but not perhaps strong enough for rinsing off after brushing.

There used to be a car wash system that used 25L container and what looked remarkably like a caravan 12V submersible pump. If your only using it for rinsing water then there's no reason why you shouldn't use your normal Aqua roll and a spare caravan pump. This can deliver water to what ever type of fitting you like.

I have actually used a shureflow pump in a similar way for a different cleaning job., I just used a normal garden trigger handle and becasue teh pump had a built in pressure switch it just shut off when I released the hand trigger.

The battery operated washers do not require pressurising by hand. You simply insert the hose part into the water barrel and pull the trigger and spray the caravan. You could use an aquaroll. They are advertised in the CAMC magazines.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
The battery operate washers does do not require pressurising by hand. You simply insert the hose part into the water barrel and pull the trigger and spray the caravan. You could use an aquaroll. They are advertised in the CAMC magazines.
I did think of that option, but did not think a pump would lift water to roof level.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I use my A frame ladder at rear of van ,. then with the extending brush clean over half the top. Then at front do the same . My brush has the hose fitting on it for rinsing etc . Start off with Fenwicks cleaner via the garden spray container from one the side of the van which covers all the top then rinse off . For polishing I use a spray type polish which can be done from any side of van , all in one go an finally with the extending brush with cloth on the head finish off.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did think of that option, but did not think a pump would lift water to roof level.
You may not get a massive flow of water at that height but it should be enough keep a brush fully wet and allow you to rinse the suds off. If it's still not enough water, just lifting the water container onto the caravans A frame may be enough.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
For Aguri read Worx-same by the looks of it-we have a worx pressure washer and it is absolutely brilliant. Sucks from the aquaroll although i supplement this with a 20l adblue container. I put a bucket of water on the roof rather than 20l though for reasons of safeguarding the caravan. That squirting and a long extendible cleaning brush do the job really well; the pressure of mine has 2 settings so if you're worried re caravan seals you can tone it down but full blast is like the jet setting on a std hosepipe gun so not pressure washer strong. I love the thing and bonus is we have a worx hedge trimmer and they use the same battery so I can go to the van with a back up!

Incidentally that Bailey photo was accompanied by , don' t walk on our caravan roofs I think!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts