hymer caravans

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
does anyone out there have any info on hymer 530le , i am thinking of buying one and would appreciate any input eg what they like for towing and are they a good caravan for a beginner

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
stephen,

"does anyone out there have any info on Hymer 530le , i am thinking of buying one and would appreciate any input eg what they like for towing and are they a good caravan for a beginner"

Not the 530 but a similar one the 545; a friend has the 530.

Mine is a 2002, the old square one, two or so years ago they changed to a more rounded shape. Ensure what your looking at is a UK specified and supplied one, as the continental does not meet the National caravan council's requirements, which make insuring a bit more difficult, and it will not have fire retardant treated upholstery. Whilst these are not stoppers they significantly reduce its comparative value to a UK one and might mean its shy on a fair bit of kit. On the continent they sell a very basic van that you can factory spec up, whereas the UK spec is a very highly specified version. Also the basic continentals are sometimes on a lower weight rated chassis whereas the UK s are on the up rated one reflecting the higher level of kit fitted.

Very important is that its width must be 2.3 M not the 2.4m that some continental ones are, not sure this covers the 530 but worth checking as if its over 2.3m its illegal here unless you have a tow vehicle over 3500kgs with appropriate driving licence.

Initial reaction is that it is a large van for a beginner however it tows very well indeed. If you are new to towing as well as caravanning doing a course might be a wise investment. Other that its bulk on the road and the ramifications of this its an excellent van for beginner or experienced user alike; you might find some pitches are a tad small but that rarely a problem.

Construction is rock solid, using a unique damp resisting build technique and are arguably the best made that you can buy. They are a bit heavier than similar size/spec UK vans; part of this is inherent in the build but they also generally have a high payload, in my case a large 350kgs, making the Max allowable weight about 1700kgs.

I know of many very happy owners so I doubt if you would have any regrets providing you first do your homework.

John

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
stephen,

"does anyone out there have any info on Hymer 530le , i am thinking of buying one and would appreciate any input eg what they like for towing and are they a good caravan for a beginner"

Mine is a 2002, the old square one, two or so years ago they changed to a more rounded shape. Ensure what your looking at is a UK specified and supplied one, as the continental does not meet the National caravan council's requirements, which make insuring a bit more difficult, and it will not have fire retardant treated upholstery. Whilst these are not stoppers they significantly reduce its comparative value to a UK one and might mean its shy on a fair bit of kit. On the continent they sell a very basic van that you can factory spec up, whereas the UK spec is a very highly specified version. Also the basic continentals are sometimes on a lower weight rated chassis whereas the UK s are on the up rated one reflecting the higher level of kit fitted.

Very important is that its width must be 2.3 M not the 2.4m that some continental ones are, not sure this covers the 530 but worth checking as if its over 2.3m its illegal here unless you have a tow vehicle over 3500kgs with appropriate driving licence.

Initial reaction is that it is a large van for a beginner however it tows very well indeed. If you are new to towing as well as caravanning doing a course might be a wise investment. Other that its bulk on the road and the ramifications of this its an excellent van for beginner or experienced user alike; you might find some pitches are a tad small but that rarely a problem.

Construction is rock solid, using a unique damp resisting build technique and are arguably the best made that you can buy. They are a bit heavier than similar size/spec UK vans; part of this is inherent in the build but they also generally have a high payload, in my case a large 350kgs, making the Max allowable weight about 1700kgs.

I know of many very happy owners so I doubt if you would have any regrets providing you first do your homework.

John
The "mass in running order" unlike most UK made vans includes battery, spare wheel/tyre and EHU cable which needs remembering when comparing.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I ought to add that I believe with vans of this size and weight you really should have a mover included in your budget. Moving any van over 1100kgs I would suggest, manually is not a sensible thing to do for medical reasons alone in this age of powered movers. No problem on hard level surfaces but otherwise and there is a risk of hurting yourself. To do it alone without inviting miss understanding with your other half is in itself worth it!

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
stephen,

John
thanks for that, i will do my homework and hopefully sort it out soon. will also look in to its specification, thanks again.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I ought to add that I believe with vans of this size and weight you really should have a mover included in your budget. Moving any van over 1100kgs I would suggest, manually is not a sensible thing to do for medical reasons alone in this age of powered movers. No problem on hard level surfaces but otherwise and there is a risk of hurting yourself. To do it alone without inviting miss understanding with your other half is in itself worth it!
I'd only consider a motor mover if the caravan has an ample payload margin. I'd think twice about having a motor mover weighing, say, 30 to 40kg if the max. payload is only around 150kg. That really doesn't leave you with very much room to play with.

I have never really missed not having a motor mover on my 1300kg caravan. Normally, I have been able to get it in and out of any spot manually on my own. On really soft ground I set chocks under one wheel and swing the caravan around, repeating this procedure alternately from side to side until I've moved it to where I want it. If all else fails, one can always find willing pairs of hands to help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts