Inconsiderate Caravanners??????

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Not what I am suggesting Roger.

But turning pitches into wind break fortresses and sneering as someones foot has gone on the grass at the fornt of your pitch is not acceptable any more than walking through anothers awning would be.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

reading this thread it seems to me that there are two types of inconsiderate vanners those that invade your pitch for no reason and those that think they own it.

the first type can be avioded by not pitching up anywhere near the services as I said before if you must pitch up by nearest tap then someone probably me will cross your pitch to get my water, if you want a secluded spot then pick one, I find most vanners will not invade others space if there is no reason to.

the second type is a bit more pragmatic to deal with you know the ones we have all seen them big van, bigger awning, gazebo for the barbeque, and 100mtrs of windbreaks to fence in every inch of space available from the back fence to the road in front

and then park the car in the pitch next door, the type of vanner that ken(durham) wrote about, not that anyone on this forum would do that "would they"

colin

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Everyone is different, and we all enjoy our caravanning, I am not an old fuddy duddy, however as i have paid the pitch fee for my bit of the site others should stay off it without my invitation to encroach. Caravanning is good because you can choose whether to be sociable or not, whether you have a dog or not - too many people have the wrong attidue - you do not have the right to walk over the pitch I have paid for!

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Everyone is different, and we all enjoy our caravanning, I am not an old fuddy duddy, however as i have paid the pitch fee for my bit of the site others should stay off it without my invitation to encroach. Caravanning is good because you can choose whether to be sociable or not, whether you have a dog or not - too many people have the wrong attidue - you do not have the right to walk over the pitch I have paid for!
I think someones missing the point here what do you call my pitch a 20ft square, caravan, awning, plus car and 10mtrs all way round, or half the field, how many times have you been on a site where some prat has pitched slap in the middle of a field, what consitutes their pitch then the whole field ??.

it is the attitude of some that put my hackles up for instance we were touring scotland a couple of years ago with the motor home, on a site in oban we set up right in the corner of the top field (the only level spot on site) we had been there for 2 days and decided to go to fort william for the day so we left a marker with the no plate on and a reserved for motor home sign our step and a bucket, when we got back 2 van had arrived and pitched up just down from us and blocked off our pitch with wind breaks despite it being obvious that a motorhome was there first, when asked why they had done it the answer was tough we are here now so you will have to go pitch somewhere else.

that is when I saw the red mist and drove right over both wind breaks pick up our stuff turned round and demolished the rest of it on our way out.

the victor meldrew look on their faces was worth every penny of the pitch fee we lost.

colin

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
I think someones missing the point here what do you call my pitch a 20ft square, caravan, awning, plus car and 10mtrs all way round, or half the field, how many times have you been on a site where some prat has pitched slap in the middle of a field, what consitutes their pitch then the whole field ??.

it is the attitude of some that put my hackles up for instance we were touring scotland a couple of years ago with the motor home, on a site in oban we set up right in the corner of the top field (the only level spot on site) we had been there for 2 days and decided to go to fort william for the day so we left a marker with the no plate on and a reserved for motor home sign our step and a bucket, when we got back 2 van had arrived and pitched up just down from us and blocked off our pitch with wind breaks despite it being obvious that a motorhome was there first, when asked why they had done it the answer was tough we are here now so you will have to go pitch somewhere else.

that is when I saw the red mist and drove right over both wind breaks pick up our stuff turned round and demolished the rest of it on our way out.

the victor meldrew look on their faces was worth every penny of the pitch fee we lost.

colin

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Gawd, a doggy thread with 37 posts and I haven't added my tu'pennorth. Too many posts to read at the moment because Her Ladyship has just ordered me orf my lappy because she wants to go to Great Yarmouth :O(

I can't contain myself with excitement at the thought of candy floss and "kiss me quick" hats.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Something that hasnt been mentioned yet is air conditioning units.

I was staying ar Erw Lon once in Llandovery, nice place, folk wear clogs.

We were fortunate to find a pitch that would accomodate satellite signal and pitched up, as the night went on we became very aware of the huge monstrosity that we were next to, it was one of those humungous things that can only be pulled on the back of a lorry hitch, like a Carnival trailer.

They were fine, didnt see the people but the constant click and chug of the air con unit every 15 minutes drove me nuts, i was glad we were only staying for 2 nights.

I guess its not really an inconsiderate thing to have air con, but if its clearly audible from all corners of the site (it was because i checked when i walked the mut) you would think they would turn it off at night.

Worse though was the sound of all the clog wearers strolling to the shower block at night, i mean, for gods sake people, we arent in bloody holland!

Good site and good owners though, no complaints there.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Something that hasnt been mentioned yet is air conditioning units.

I was staying ar Erw Lon once in Llandovery, nice place, folk wear clogs.

We were fortunate to find a pitch that would accomodate satellite signal and pitched up, as the night went on we became very aware of the huge monstrosity that we were next to, it was one of those humungous things that can only be pulled on the back of a lorry hitch, like a Carnival trailer.

They were fine, didnt see the people but the constant click and chug of the air con unit every 15 minutes drove me nuts, i was glad we were only staying for 2 nights.

I guess its not really an inconsiderate thing to have air con, but if its clearly audible from all corners of the site (it was because i checked when i walked the mut) you would think they would turn it off at night.

Worse though was the sound of all the clog wearers strolling to the shower block at night, i mean, for gods sake people, we arent in bloody holland!

Good site and good owners though, no complaints there.
damn it, noticed a mistake, why cant we edit our posts!!

G

I stayed at sommers wood on the sunday night 22nd, cant see what you mean about the staggered pitches craig?

your supposed to have your car and van on the hardstanding and the grass is for the awning.

G

I have an easy solution. Get an extra hook up cable, plug it in, splice off the end and connect it to a simple wire border fence (home made), make sure this extends to the machine gun nests in each corner............ok, ok, i'm kidding !

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
I have an easy solution. Get an extra hook up cable, plug it in, splice off the end and connect it to a simple wire border fence (home made), make sure this extends to the machine gun nests in each corner............ok, ok, i'm kidding !
Joke - nah nah - Like it - am off to get an extra cable. Now where can I get some spare wire fencing?

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

When we use a site I dont class the pitch as being owned by us but I do class it as "our area".

On a recent weekend away we paid extra for a fully serviced pitch which wasn't the biggest I have seen but it was ok. We had a water tap and a drain and a EHU point, the pitch to one side of us was a standard pitch and I couldn't believe it when the owner of the van decided to take our water mains pipe off the tap and fill his aqua roll when the public tap was just as close. As the pitch wasn't that long our van was quite close to the tap and when pitching we didnt think this as a problem as we had the pipe but this man then got his aqua roll stuck and by pulling he hit our van with it, I went out in my pyjamas and asked him what he was doing and his reply was "there is queue by the main tap", I checked the back of the van and there was a small scratch where his handle had rubbed the van, I pointed this out to him but he said "stick a reflector over it", I feel this was really out of order.

The next day the couple the other side of us were leaving and the man kindly asked if he could go around the back of our van to unplug his EHU, this was fine and I didnt mind because he simply asked. Another occasion was when a man hurried along the site and as we were in the awning having breakfast he said "Can i just shortcut through your pitch please because my wife is halfway through a shower and the water has run out", this again didnt bother me because the man asked. However, a man was walking with a shower bag and went straight through our pitch and halfway across his phone rang, he answered it and had a long conversation with somebody whilst standing in the middle of our pitch, I dont see why he had to stop just to use his phone and we didnt want to sit listening to his phone call??

Ian

Dec 8, 2007
Visit site
What gets us are the people, with dogs on leads, who walk right up close to the 'van knowing full well the cat is sitting either in the door or on the steps minding her own business. As she is elderly and only has three legs (removed because of cancer), she cannot move fast or without the inevitable aches.

Margaret W.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

When we use a site I dont class the pitch as being owned by us but I do class it as "our area".

On a recent weekend away we paid extra for a fully serviced pitch which wasn't the biggest I have seen but it was ok. We had a water tap and a drain and a EHU point, the pitch to one side of us was a standard pitch and I couldn't believe it when the owner of the van decided to take our water mains pipe off the tap and fill his aqua roll when the public tap was just as close. As the pitch wasn't that long our van was quite close to the tap and when pitching we didnt think this as a problem as we had the pipe but this man then got his aqua roll stuck and by pulling he hit our van with it, I went out in my pyjamas and asked him what he was doing and his reply was "there is queue by the main tap", I checked the back of the van and there was a small scratch where his handle had rubbed the van, I pointed this out to him but he said "stick a reflector over it", I feel this was really out of order.

The next day the couple the other side of us were leaving and the man kindly asked if he could go around the back of our van to unplug his EHU, this was fine and I didnt mind because he simply asked. Another occasion was when a man hurried along the site and as we were in the awning having breakfast he said "Can i just shortcut through your pitch please because my wife is halfway through a shower and the water has run out", this again didnt bother me because the man asked. However, a man was walking with a shower bag and went straight through our pitch and halfway across his phone rang, he answered it and had a long conversation with somebody whilst standing in the middle of our pitch, I dont see why he had to stop just to use his phone and we didnt want to sit listening to his phone call??

Ian
You should have turned your radio on loud!!

Edd

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
takes me back a couple of years to when a couple with two large dogs pitched up next door to us in northallerton, they tied the dogs to a post right outside our awning , we had two grand daughters with us and my grand daughter only went to walk past the dog and it grabed her arm . thankfully she didnt have any seroiuse marks just a little red mark but all the same they didnt move the dogs and still tied them outside our awning again later that day and the next,

then last year we had our grand daughters with us again and the people who were next to us had a dog, a little dog and that serously bit my grand dauhgters face, she had to have hospital treatment and antibiotics for four weeks,

i try to park away from dogs now and dont let my grand daughters near them,

May 5, 2005
Visit site
what are people like a dog comes on your pitch and bites your grandchild so you dont park near dogs someone would need an ambulance and not for a dog bite if it happened to one of my grandsons.If thay wandered onto another pitch thats down to me but to paraphrase Al Murray 'My pitch my rules'

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
i have parked near dogs since, well you cant tell the park owners who to park next door to you, but i tell the kids not to touch dogs they dont know ,

but if i can i just stay away,

i dont take it out on all dog owners , you cant do that ,

my daughter has a dog who is a much loved memeber of the family,

but when your away and you come across dogs on site you dont know what that dog is like temprement wise so i just tell the kids dont go near,

i felt really heart broken at the state my grand daughter was left in, she was only 6 at the time , her little face was a mess ,

so no one can blame me for now being very careful of dogs on camp sites.

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi

We had not long arrived on a site in May, and the loose dog from the next pitch came and pooped on ours.

Each morning a woman from an adjacent tent walked her dogs over our pitch, wearing her pyjamas - expecting them to relieve themselves.

Is this common?

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We had not long arrived on a site in May, and the loose dog from the next pitch came and pooped on ours.

Each morning a woman from an adjacent tent walked her dogs over our pitch, wearing her pyjamas - expecting them to relieve themselves.

Is this common?
We have three giant breed Newfoundlands which travel with us were ever we go.on site the dogs are put on tethers close to are van as possible thy don't bark thy just like to sit or lay and watch the world go by ,we have kept this breed of dog for many years and are very responsible owners we have also caravaned for many years .in the last two years we have had to put a sign next to the dogs asking people and children not to touch or approach the dogs with out us present,we have done this be cuss of people just coming over some with good intention and some with other motives to the dogs and upsetting them.

Are dogs are just like most others if left alone thy will just lie there but if some one goes over to them thy will bark for attention and to be stroked. children we don't mind as most of them come and ask if thy can stoke the dogs [which by the way are all registered pat dogs] but it is the adults that i feel that i some times want to inflict real harm on that just walk up to them and stand in front of them and then complain that the dogs are barking.

most places charge for dogs we don't mind but the dogs have the right to peace and quiet just as we do people should never just approach dogs and children should be learned from a very early age never to go over an touch a dog it doesn't know this is how accidents happen and dogs get bad press, this weekend my dogs are taking part in a charity day to raise money for the British hart foundation and mac millan cancer care each dog will raise over

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Les,

Well said! Hope you have a good weekend and the dogs raise lots of money.

The owners of a country pub we use have had Newfoundlands for many years. A few years ago they had one called Chester who came in from the pouring rain, stood in the middle of the bar and shook himself, we all ended up rather wet but had a good laugh.

Hamer

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi les, I did mention the mods in a post on another thread for deleting the ****** remark but I was mistaken, I thought it was in another thread and so did Frank believe it had been deleted. Frank did admit it was a bit over the top but he posted it because his granddaughter that day had trod in some dog dumps.

Obviously the mods thought it fair comment about using ***** on dogs hence the reason it stayed.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The comment referred to above was missed, sadly, and now has become the subject of what may turn out to be very unpleasant for the Publishers.

In future ANY comments about using particular products to have a harmful effect on ANY human or animal will be deleted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts