Interesting take on tow cars currently available

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not strictly about towing weights being over kerb weight, as for some towing duties that is entirely possible and can be managed quite safely within the specifications of the vehicles. The debate arrises with towing caravans becasue of their size and sensitivity to aerodynamic loads.

It's more about the inexperience.

Those providing 'advice' seem to obsess over the legalities (you can, therefore you should) without considering what is sensible for someone new to the game.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's more about the inexperience.

Those providing 'advice' seem to obsess over the legalities (you can, therefore you should) without considering what is sensible for someone new to the game.
There have been many occasions when a question has been asked, and with the best will in the world contributors have made a suggestions, some of which on the face of it could seem reasonable, but for in fact for some reason it would be unwise or illegal.

Rather than just give a blank "don't do that, do this" without an explanation can be interpreted as a just a matter of personal difference.

I have always believed it is better to explain why a particular method is ill advised, and to give the reader a better chance of making an informed decision.

Just becasue the stalwarts of the forum may already know the technical and legal factors that have to be observed does not mean every new reader has the same breadth of knowledge or understanding.

Grumpy

BANNED
Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
I wonder how many of these "keyboard experts" that have commented have ever driven any of these cars let alone towed various items with them.
Please let's have some owners of cars that have got real life experiences of owning/driving/towing different cars rather than peoples quotes from other sites on the internet.
Unless you have owned it, driven it and towed with it what do you know?
Nothing is my answer.
Please people let's have comments from real people not just "keyboard experts"

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder how many of these "keyboard experts" that have commented have ever driven any of these cars let alone towed various items with them.
Please let's have some owners of cars that have got real life experiences of owning/driving/towing different cars rather than peoples quotes from other sites on the internet.
Nothing is my answer.

Whilst I can understand your sentiments, the Forum would be a much less active place if everyone abided by your request. A Forum is a place for discourse. If you don't like the diversions that sometimes get introduced perhaps it would be better to not open the thread.

Grumpy

BANNED
Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
Whilst I can understand your sentiments, the Forum would be a much less active place if everyone abided by your request. A Forum is a place for discourse. If you don't like the diversions that sometimes get introduced perhaps it would be better to not open the thread.
Well that is an amazing reply when various people I know won't comment on anything on this site because there is a handful of people are only interested in their own points of view and put posts on you cant understand!
Just look at the amount of posts these keyboard warriors put on.
There should be 10s of thousands of different people commenting, have you ever asked yourselves why there is only about 10 people on this site.
This is the most inactive forum on the WWW

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Well that is an amazing reply when various people I know won't comment on anything on this site because there is a handful of people are only interested in their own points of view and put posts on you cant understand!
Just look at the amount of posts these keyboard warriors put on.
There should be 10s of thousands of different people commenting, have you ever asked yourselves why there is only about 10 people on this site.
This is the most inactive forum on the WWW
Do you have evidence to support your statement?
Exactly who are these people that you know who won't comment on this website?
If you unable to understand what's been written in a post, what prevents you from asking for more information?
That's what a forum is for.

Reactions: JTQ
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Grumpy
I started this thread in good faith quoting a recognised motor company, Motorpoint, views on tow car capability. I took their comments as a point for open discussion not affirmation.
I haven‘t seen any “Key Board Warriors ” whatever they are ,in your view commenting, only decent Forumites questioning , discussing highly important technical aspects and offering very important loading aspects specifically related to towing.
Whilst a lot of the Forumites on here have posted for years, they recognise that caravanning is an ever moving feast with new caravanners taking up the hobby.
The comments given seem to me very relevant to a newcomer.
I don‘t understand your issue???

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nothing is my answer.
Unless you know a poster personally, you have absolutely no means of knowing the experience, skills, or qualifications of those you call "Keyboard experts". on this forum.

Consider the fact that I have no way of knowing if you actually have any towing or caravanning experience. Perhaps you are one of the "keyboard experts" with no real experience you're complaining about - How can I tell?

Some of us have a extensive experience, but for one reason or another we may no longer use a touring caravan, does the fact we no longer tow a caravan mean our past experiences count for nothing and we are not entitled to pass on our experiences?

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Reactions: Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm reluctantly reaching the point where I'm beginning to wonder if 'Grumpy' us an internet troll who is using this forum to stir up unrest and controversy.

Back in January, 'Grumpy' mentioned in a comment that he thought that he'd be "thrown off" this forum before long.

He could be right, depending on whether or not his next pearl of forum wisdom contains an apology for his insulting abrasive responsss to those forum members who provide information in good faith.

TRENDING THREADS