Internet boosters

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I saw an add in one of the two big club mags for an Internet boaster to amplify the signal from the site mast, but I failed to keep it
The company in question said they can fit and have you stay overnight at their location whilst the job is being done.
Can anyone help me with their details please.

For info, this is so I can use a laptop in the comfort and warmth of my van.

My mobile is a pay as you go and only used for calls, maybe I need to update into the 21st century!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You don't need to have some boosters fitted, they are small and some come with suction mounts and/or fittings for a mast/pole which you can clamp to the jockey wheel. As well as 'boosting' the signal, most will act as a mobile hotspot and enable you to connect more than one device at a time - useful if two or more of the family want to do their own things.
I use one supplied by motorhomewifi.com but others are available. I find it works quite well just sitting behind the curtains in the van front window on most sites, but occasionally have to put it on a mast attached to the jockey wheel to enable it to 'see' over adjacent motorhomes.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm no techy on this subject but at the moment I uses personal hotspot W-iFi, in my case a Huawei on 3 network.

Works great anywhere you can get a 3 signal (that is the only downside apart from data package size).

Recently there are great deals on dataphone packages, I can 'tether' my phone to a device without concern for data usage or cost.

I will check on the 3 Wi-Fi deals available as my contract is now due for renewal,

I am guessing that my mobile Wi-Fi with 3 may go in the bin as I do not see how I can better my mobile phone deal (unlimited calls, free roaming to most places and 100gb data for £16.00per month or less, last time I looked).

Always happy to be informed otherwise, and please do (I need all the help I can get :lol: ).

N.B. Must ask if I can tether multiple devices to my phone contract without additional costs, my mobile Wi-Fi allows me to tether up to five devices, not that that is usually a problem, but there have been times :eek:hmy: .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I've never had a separate WiFi/Data device so cannot answer the question as asked. However, I have never had an issue with using my Samsung Galaxy S8 as a WiFi hotspot (except the time I used my laptop for an online shopping order to be delivered when we got home and the laptop used close to 8GB of allowance).

My Samsung is on Virgin Mobile (EE) and there seems to be no restrictions placed by the network operator on the connection of other devices. I used to have an unlimited data plan but sacrificed this for a new phone. However I get 9GB per month now, with a data roll-over and very rarely go over this, even streaming YouTube and Netflix when mobile. The Android also has a useful data monitor which is quite accurate and can be set to warn you of usage.

My Wife has an iPhone on Tesco Mobile (O2) and this can also tether other devices with seemingly no restrictions. It is useful for us to be on separate networks as some locations on our recent touring holiday had no EE signal but full O2, and vice versa.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Anseo said:
...N.B. Must ask if I can tether multiple devices to my phone contract without additional costs, my mobile Wi-Fi allows me to tether up to five devices, not that that is usually a problem, but there have been times :eek:hmy: .

Just checked my Phone - It can support upto 10 devices connecting to it as a WifI hotspot. I guess this is a technical limitation of the phone as it will be acting as a router and performing Network Address Translation (NAT) rather than a policy being enforced by a network operator.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
pensioner said:
I saw an add in one of the two big club mags for an Internet boaster to amplify the signal from the site mast, but I failed to keep it

I know you can use the cell phone network to get on line and many of us have a data allowance that we use but.........

Pensioner is asking about devices to improve the reception of site wifi if you have a pitch that gives you a weak signal due to the distance from the mast.
Some sites offer free wifi especially abroad and it is useful to be able to connect this way.
It is possible to spend a great deal on equipment to boost reception and I often see such adverts in the caravan magazines.

I have used this product for a number of years and it works surprisingly well for the price.

Works on a laptop with a standard USB running windows.
Android phones can then be tethered to the laptop if required.
Sufficient cable supplied to mount on mast for further enhanced reception.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Thats a WIFI booster, not mobile signal amplifier.
many are concerned about security using public WIFI. Me for one.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Agree, use a VPN. Hidden24 is another... Some Public Wifi does need fiddling with settings though, because they use their own DNS and that won't necessarily let you connect to the VPN (trains are a good example).

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I bought one from motorhomewifi.com too for out last trip out. This worked fine with no dropping out, and has the advantage of allowing a few devices to be connected simultaneously, which the CClub system prevents. The kit is good quality too, and cleverly designed for internal or external use

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Grey13 said:
Thats a WIFI booster, not mobile signal amplifier.
many are concerned about security using public WIFI. Me for one.

.........I was addressing the OP'S question which was about wifi boosters ;)
Why are there more security issues with public wifi as compared with cell phone signals?
Surely it is up to the end user to take precautions with both methods of connection.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
With public WiFi, your data stream is under the control of the WiFi provider, and they can potentially "sniff" at that willy-nilly. Also you are reliant on them having configured their equipment securely to prevent unauthorised tampering and external parties being able to access and hijack your data.

Mobile phone signal is de-facto encrypted because of the way 3G &4G work. It's not possible to "listen in" to voice calls (and hasn't been since TACS IIRC) and the data stream goes through the same mast to handset encryption

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts