Is Old Age against us?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
45 years on I do find it harder hitching and pitching. I suspect a lot of us have felt the old bones creaking. Three of our long timers have hung up their tow balls in the last year or so.
It set me thinking at what point will I have to give up ?
Or more importantly what can I do to make my life easier and continue caravanning.
I have a number of ideas which I will share later.
For now , having had two knee replacements , I am doing things totally differently , sometimes actually lying on the ground!
All ideas welcome 👍👍

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Leave yourself plenty of time to do anything, be that driving to site, pitching, levelling up etc. Get yourself a (lightweight) air awning rather than a poled one. Much easier to erect, inevitably others will bang on about "They are too heavy" which is why I have said "lightweight"

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Good morning Dustydog, I don’t know how old you actually are but, as the saying goes “Don’t stop doing things because you’re getting old because you only get old when you stop doing things.”
I’m 64 and I’ve noticed I’m not as agile as I used to be so I just take my time a bit more. I try to learn something new each day and tackle problems myself. I replaced the discs and pads on my car a couple of weeks ago myself. I could easily have paid to have them done but remembering a time I couldn’t afford to pay someone and had to do them myself, I thought, crack on, enjoy yourself and save some money. I try to look at challenges as an adventure and not a challenge.
There is a guy who stores his caravan near to mine who’s 88 years old and still towing. His wife is too infirm to stay in the caravan any more so, he goes off on his own for a few days which gives each a respite from each others company;)

If lying on the ground is what it takes to keep you caravanning then get yourself a nice padded camping mat to make yourself comfortable while you’re down there:)
Good luck and best wishes.

Reactions: DaveA1 and Dustydog
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Good Morning DD. My trouble is that now I'm on my own I find I'm rushing to get things done, it doesn't work as I then tend to forget thinks. I'm now in my 80th year so I've been laying down on the job for a number of years to plug in the electrics and clip on the breakaway cable OK until I want to get up again. How long I can continue is up to my lad who has said he will take my keys away when the time comes.

Still do minor maintenace, Have a rear view camera to fit.
Any other horizontal work leave to my mobil man.
PS. Mobil man lives just around the corner from me, 200yards. Asked him if he needed my post code so he could find me. Found out he could speak very good norse/old english.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Chaps for the answers so far.
I’m 70 now and feeling all the aches and pains of arthritis , this and that. Dave A how do you do it?👍👍
Caravanning is still a major way of life for us and I have no intentions of giving up in the foreseeable future.
How can we make it easier?
1. Get someone, family / friend to help hitching up at Storage.

2. If replacing the battery after winter storage as 1 above or use the Hutch quick release terminal clamps and build a platform level with the battery housing floor. Slide in .

3. Consider using a Seasonal or seasonal with Storage.

4. A number of sites will do the storage , set your unit on a pitch and when holiday is over clear up and put back into storage.

5. A lot of Touring sites will gladly help their customers set up on arrival including awnings. Possibly for a small fee.

6. FSP is mandatory.

7. I suspect finding the help for hitching and pitching may not be as hard as we may think. Ask.

8. Fitting the Alko wheel,locks is a pain. Talk to your Insurer and see if they will accept other stand alone security items. We try and use CLs with FSP. Most have electronic security gates so that is some comfort.

9. Before you finally hang up the tow ball don’t forget caravanners are a breed apart and there are plenty who will enjoy helping..

There are loads of other solutions , keep,them flowing.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I’m 70 now

Well, you got me with this thread thinking we were talking about being "old", but come on 70 is anything but unless you decided to accept it. Barely what is now deemed a retiring age from employment.

We are into our 80s and still caravan as regularly, use a poled awning [Magnum] and stay out for as long as we can.

I suppose the "secrets" if that is what they are, is in the mindset, and in making it as easy , lighter duty etc as possible. Eg fill Aquaroll each morning, empty the loo and waste each morning, generally de clutter what you take so less to pack and stow at each end. What's wrong with sitting on the likes of a piece of groundsheet to wind the steadies, if that is what it takes?
Giving up is far too much a one-way thing; if caravanning etc is rewarding to you, find a way to do it.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don’t believe that giving up is an age thing at all. But it is certainly a health thing. I still think, that IF I ever get my promised operation, (7 years in the waiting and still not yet on an official waiting list). I may restart. But both the van and tow car are gone.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
45 years on I do find it harder hitching and pitching. I suspect a lot of us have felt the old bones creaking. Three of our long timers have hung up their tow balls in the last year or so.
It set me thinking at what point will I have to give up ?
Or more importantly what can I do to make my life easier and continue caravanning.
I have a number of ideas which I will share later.
For now , having had two knee replacements , I am doing things totally differently , sometimes actually lying on the ground!
All ideas welcome 👍👍
Have you considered crossing over to the Dark Side and having a Motorhome. Disproportionally expense to buy I think but the rental market seems wide spread these days.

We've had caravan -> motorhome -> caravan. Enjoyed all of them. Pros and cons of both and ideally if I was rich enough I'd have one of each.

Reactions: Paullus1959

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Health clearly is a driver, we know directly, both physical and mental variants of health issues, but not necessarily a show stopper.

Take inspiration from our disabled friends, in particular those inspired to achieve despite the challenges, if they feel the rewards are there.

Also there can be very willing help at least on site,
For example, social camping at THS and rallies, the stewards are in my experience more than willing to help those that allow them to help. Whilst more "effort", as someone who has stewarded, I can say "we" actually get more from our camping if we have the satisfaction that we have helped; it is part of the whole ethos that aspect of camping is about.
You will not get your FSP, but asked and I am sure most stewards will ensure your "services are fully met" if you have health issues to need assisting, doing so with good will to assist.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Health clearly is a driver, we know directly, both physical and mental variants of health issues, but not necessarily a show stopper.

Take inspiration from our disabled friends, in particular those inspired to achieve despite the challenges, if they feel the rewards are there.

Also there can be very willing help at least on site,
For example, social camping at THS and rallies, the stewards are in my experience more than willing to help those that allow them to help. Whilst more "effort", as someone who has stewarded, I can say "we" actually get more from our camping if we have the satisfaction that we have helped; it is part of the whole ethos that aspect of camping is about.
You will not get your FSP, but asked and I am sure most stewards will ensure your "services are full met" if you have health issues to need assisting, doing so with good will to assist.
Well written, fully agree.

In. my case, I pushed myself and hung on as long as I could. One of my problems is I look fine. Just been on a battlefields coach trip and other passengers had to ask why I needed a wheelchair for some things, but could manage without at times. I even wondered if some thought I was faking it. Some looked much worse than myself with dodgy knees and hips.

And while I would appreciate help at times, I do not want to feel dependant.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst no longer caravanning I am surely finding somethings more inconvenient at my age. This morning I was gardening and now wear knee pads to save so much bending down. My gardening toolkit has been developed to reduce the need to get low down. I find decorating okay until I have to do the skirting boards, why don't they fit them 3ft up the wall, or have stick on high gloss plastic ones. When washing cars the wheels and lower sections down to the sill give uncomfortable lower back pain. But all this pales into insignafcace compared to taking a 10 month old Sprocker who's rarely been on a lead for a walk. She only weighs in at 12kg and needs to put on a couple more kilos. But how 12kg can pull 100kg with such vigour for over an hour defeats biophysics. Coming back to do the gardening was sheer relief. :D

2B676040-2707-446A-AFA8-5DFDB6CC5BF3_1_105_c.jpeg

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
One of these is very good for washing those time-consuming alloy car wheels, plus good for taking the coffee break before you move to the do the other side's wheels ;)
Hangs on a nail in the garage next to the hose reel.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One of these is very good for washing those time-consuming alloy car wheels, plus good for taking the coffee break before you move to the do the other side's wheels ;)
Hangs on a nail in the garage next to the hose reel.
Thanks, that's quite fortuitous as I was considering buying lightweight seat for my wife, as when we went to a steam rally recently she found the lack of seating/straw bales meant she had to sit on the grass. it wasn't very comfortable and getting up certainly wasn't graceful even with me taking the "anchor" position.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Have you considered crossing over to the Dark Side and having a Motorhome. Disproportionally expense to buy I think but the rental market seems wide spread these days.

We've had caravan -> motorhome -> caravan. Enjoyed all of them. Pros and cons of both and ideally if I was rich enough I'd have one of each.
Please , NOT the Dark Side. I’ve hired before and whilst it ticks the boxes the disadvantages are numerous. Eg how do you leave site to shop , visit places , Come back then its all setting up again. Never mind the initial cost . Plus none of them , mostly have no where near the room of my TA. But you never know one day things may change . It’s a bit like I am a motorcyclist . Not a scooterist.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Age is but a number etc, etc. I know some folks in their 50's who act/look older than some I know in their 70's. My mum is 76, my step-father is 89 (and suffers quite badly with COPD) and they're both away in the caravan this week. As others have said, you have to adapt some tasks as they become more difficult, but while the enjoyment is still there then carry on!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I hit 69 next month (or is it 70? No its definitely 69) and I feel no different to when I was 40! I am however very fortunate in not having any health issues. Nothing in respect of caravanning causes me the slightest issue. In fact we have just returned from a month's touring in Spain.

I don't have any joint or back issues so bending over, kneeling down etc is no problem at all. I hitch up and unhitch with no assistance as I don't need it. I fit the Alko wheel lock with the assistance of the mover. We have a fairly hefty air awning, that goes up with a little assistance from SWMBO.

Car and caravan maintenance is all done by me, but by the sounds of it I am in a bit of a minority, but that doesn't mean I am unsympathetic, just very grateful for my health and wellbeing, and long may that continue thank you very much :)

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
On the subject of age and relative health, I'm 53, I'm an active cyclist covering 100 miles a week with an average speed of 18.5mph. I don't smoke, my blood pressure is good. Indestructible! Erm, no.......

Last Friday afternoon I dropped a packet of biscuits and stuck my foot out to try and deflect them from hitting the floor, I felt a click in my right knee, it locked solid and a large lump suddenly appeared on the inside of my knee. I appeared to have dislodged/dislocated a rather large piece of cartilage from behind my knee cap. I carefully pushed it back into place and await a doctors appointment. Old age, it takes no prisoners!

Reactions: DJBruce
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
I am 60 but still luckily very fit - we started caravanning last year and I've had no problems BUT..... SWMBO bought me a foam kneeling pad and that is an absolute godsend, especially as we normally pitch on hardstanding so kneeling to line up the Alko wheel lock, putting steadies down and all the other jobs where getting close to the ground is necessary.

Steve

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
......old age is good as it means you are still here :)

Yes, quite right, and my frequent response to those that bemoan they are getting old is " its way better than the only alternative".
If we don't make the best of it we are the losers, it can't be odds it is what happens so make the best you possibly can of it.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts