Is Old Age against us?

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately these long debates between forum members with entrenched views is probably why some newer members don't stay with us for long
I am sure that you are right. Must be very confusing for folks grappling with the basics. Folks on Facebook seem to want a rapid fire answer to a question. Curiously the instant answer could have just as quickly obtained if the poster had just Googled. Typical example is “What size awning for a Swift such and such.”
mel

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I suppose we could just carry on debating nose loads and lack of Calor gas.
Nought wrong with that. I had a very enjoyable week at the last woosie feast, looking forward to the next. Am in my 80th year and like reading every post, most I already know the answer but I still learn things. But I need a little push now days to hook up and go, much to the annoyance of my lad. so please keep posting, anything . We might get a new member. Here is one who reads everything.(almost) posted.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Unfortunately these long debates between forum members with entrenched views is probably why some newer members don't stay with us for long
Not only that some of our threads have a tendency to wander off topic. This could quite easily turn off some folks who want to find out about servicing and finish up in a thread about the National Trust - or similar deviations.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not only that some of our threads have a tendency to wander off topic. This could quite easily turn off some folks who want to find out about servicing and finish up in a thread about the National Trust - or similar deviations.
But wasn’t the servicing related to a mobility scooter with a squeak on a wheel. So the “deviation” into NT, EH etc wasn’t that unhelpful as now readers are informed that some organisations provide on site mobilty aids for the less able visitors. And it was under Chit Chat.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
One of the "problems" with forums is that they tend to nurture relationships similar to a local pub, Facebook groups can be quite quick/cold/abrupt places that don't create online friendships like a forum does. By that nature, a forum thread can often drift and meander as would a conversation in a pub over a few pints.

I use Facebook but to be honest some of the "Facebook generation" seem to be somewhat entitled in their belief that everyone out there simply has to bow down to their requests with an immediate answer, a good example is our local town Facebook groups where folks will often post something along the lines of "what time does Tesco open?" where they seem unable to grasp that a simple Google search would reveal the answer a lot quicker than Facebook, the answer from Google will also be a lot more accurate than some of the nonsense on Facebook!

Some of the FB groups are a breeding ground for poisonous anonymity where the fast-paced/changing/updating pace allows spiteful posts to go ahead unmoderated. However, I got banned from the Swift FB group for 24 hours for posting something I was told wasn't in the spirit of the group. It was November, the group was quiet so I though a slightly humorous towing photo and a caption would brighten up a dull and rainy afternoon. Needless to say I left the group afterwards. The offending photo? It was this one along with the caption "We don't worry about noseweights in these parts":

129725520_10224487921764656_7894747917979311301_n.jpg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One of the "problems" with forums is that they tend to nurture relationships similar to a local pub, Facebook groups can be quite quick/cold/abrupt places that don't create online friendships like a forum does. By that nature, a forum thread can often drift and meander as would a conversation in a pub over a few pints.

I use Facebook but to be honest some of the "Facebook generation" seem to be somewhat entitled in their belief that everyone out there simply has to bow down to their requests with an immediate answer, a good example is our local town Facebook groups where folks will often post something along the lines of "what time does Tesco open?" where they seem unable to grasp that a simple Google search would reveal the answer a lot quicker than Facebook, the answer from Google will also be a lot more accurate than some of the nonsense on Facebook!

Some of the FB groups are a breeding ground for poisonous anonymity where the fast-paced/changing/updating pace allows spiteful posts to go ahead unmoderated. However, I got banned from the Swift FB group for 24 hours for posting something I was told wasn't in the spirit of the group. It was November, the group was quiet so I though a slightly humorous towing photo and a caption would brighten up a dull and rainy afternoon. Needless to say I left the group afterwards. The offending photo? It was this one along with the caption "We don't worry about noseweights in these parts":

View attachment 5026
That group was controlled by one or two individuals and if you posted anything complaining about a Swift product you stood a good chance of a vicious attack. We were thnking of buying a Swift and I asked about panels cracking and got a load of abuse. I left that forum shortly afterwards.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
That group was controlled by one or two individuals and if you posted anything complaining about a Swift product you stood a good chance of a vicious attack. We were thnking of buying a Swift and I asked about panels cracking and got a load of abuse. I left that forum shortly afterwards.

Yep, one or two protected the Swift name as if it were their own sibling. To be honest, some of the "advice" offered on their swung between comical and unbelievable!

Reactions: Buckman

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If a thread that's posted on the 'Chit-Chat' message board wanders off topic it's not really a problem.
The trouble is that when a question is asked on the 'Technical' message board a long convoluted debate can sometimes ensue, so that the answer to the o. p. becomes lost among the same old arguments, rehashed time and time again.
The forum then begins to look as though it's dominated by a small clique, exactly what led to the demise of the Swift forum.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If a thread that's posted on the 'Chit-Chat' message board wanders off topic it's not really a problem.
The trouble is that when a question is asked on the 'Technical' message board a long convoluted debate can sometimes ensue, so that the answer to the o. p. becomes lost among the same old arguments, rehashed time and time again.
The forum then begins to look as though it's dominated by a small clique, exactly what led to the demise of the Swift forum.
Small Cliques are endemic with small Forums. I recognise that day to day it‘s the same Forumites posting. Ironically most of them are not young😥.I wonder if as an experiment the regulars should stop posting for a month,? Will new younger members join??

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
But wasn’t the servicing related to a mobility scooter with a squeak on a wheel. So the “deviation” into NT, EH etc wasn’t that unhelpful as now readers are informed that some organisations provide on site mobilty aids for the less able visitors. And it was under Chit Chat.
You're right.....Chit Chat is of course open to various wandering discourses, so I guess I picked the wrong example....my bad.

However the point I was trying to make is that even in that case someone looking for NT info on mobility scooters isn't likely to go through a thread ostensibly about servicing them.

Unfortunately the internet forums and social networks have lead rise to short attention spans.

Must dash....😉😉

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Having my van servise in August and then will put it on the market so had to completly empty it for the occasion. Unbelivable the amount of kit carried and not used . Have September booked if it is not sold by then. Have had a good run camping since 1964 in caravans and motorhomes and many memories in that time. My son and daughter keep saying spend their inheritence on a cheap campervan where there is not much to lug around and I replied you do remember I was 90 this year and get the reply so what!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts