Is Old Age against us?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes, quite right, and my frequent response to those that bemoan they are getting old is " its way better than the only alternative".
If we don't make the best of it we are the losers, it can't be odds it is what happens so make the best you possibly can of it.
Excellent . It is very interesting hearing the idea of “Old Age”. When I started the thread I never really thought about actual age in years . We all age at different rates .My main thought was what have I done and what will I do going forward to continue caravanning into my very aged years. I believe there is plenty I can do before I pack up. Already a lot of good ideas have come forward to help. I will think of more. At the moment I shall continue enjoying the hobby. We both tow and share driving. Setting up we have off to a tee. FSP has been a major success in my book for,making life easier

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have tried to make life a lot easier for us when out with the caravan and only use sites with fully serviced pitches that have water and waste water connections. No issue with ALKO locks as we have self levelling so they are a doddle to fit.

Our biggest issue is our Isabella Magnum porch awning as it is heavy for us as we now both have mobility issues. We like having it up as we store things in it, but by the same token we could use a sun canopy.

We did try the Dometic Air Sun canopy, but putting it away was even worse than the porch awning as a hassle removing all the air to collapse it enough to put into the bag. Why don't they invent a dual purpose pump that can pump up and also remove the air?

Having said that we have seen a Sunncamp canopy which has built in sides and were about to buy one until OH noticed that the sides do not reach the ground. Strangely the air version does reach the ground.

To us that is essential that the sides reach the ground as we have a small dog that can be an escape artist and we do not want to tether her up while we are sitting outside. Before anyone says anything we have a Jormax windbreak that we can put across the front to keep her contained. We are still looking for a decent poled sun canopy with sides.

Another issue is that we take far too much away with us in terms of food and drink instead of only taking what is necessary for the first 2 - 3 nights. I guess this is an old habit from when we were working and going away for weekends when you did not want to go shopping!

Isn't getting old grand? :sneaky:

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Buckman, the air pump, that came with our Sunncamp air porch awning, does both inflate and deflate , but you have to take the little rubber flapper valve out of the air beam.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Buckman, have you considered the viability of a roll out awning. I’ve seen people use them but not had one personally.Maybe a long term solution for me as I age😋

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Buckman, have you considered the viability of a roll out awning. I’ve seen people use them but not had one personally.Maybe a long term solution for me as I age😋
We did look at them awhile back, but we are already very close to our MTPLM and that would have pushed us over.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Sad day to day as wife died after accident one year ago. But as I am 90 still lots of things to do rather that give up, So have had three coach holidays to mix with people (as I have no one near me) and managed to caravan and my fishing to doing two last year and so far this year April and May and booked September. One of my coach holidays was couple of weeks ago to Scotland where wife and I had been numerous times camping but this time in hotel where at my dining table I was put with three charming ladies who put me at ease right away. On reflection I do not think there were any times where we stopped talking about places visited in the world. As for many things camping I found bending down to put pegs etc in very hard so left awning at home and try doing things slower, well thats what my brain suggest do which other half of me does not and end up nackerd .

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have tried to make life a lot easier for us when out with the caravan and only use sites with fully serviced pitches that have water and waste water connections. No issue with ALKO locks as we have self levelling so they are a doddle to fit.

Our biggest issue is our Isabella Magnum porch awning as it is heavy for us as we now both have mobility issues. We like having it up as we store things in it, but by the same token we could use a sun canopy.

We did try the Dometic Air Sun canopy, but putting it away was even worse than the porch awning as a hassle removing all the air to collapse it enough to put into the bag. Why don't they invent a dual purpose pump that can pump up and also remove the air?

Having said that we have seen a Sunncamp canopy which has built in sides and were about to buy one until OH noticed that the sides do not reach the ground. Strangely the air version does reach the ground.

To us that is essential that the sides reach the ground as we have a small dog that can be an escape artist and we do not want to tether her up while we are sitting outside. Before anyone says anything we have a Jormax windbreak that we can put across the front to keep her contained. We are still looking for a decent poled sun canopy with sides.

Another issue is that we take far too much away with us in terms of food and drink instead of only taking what is necessary for the first 2 - 3 nights. I guess this is an old habit from when we were working and going away for weekends when you did not want to go shopping!

Isn't getting old grand? :sneaky:
My camping air bed can be deflated and "vac packed" as the electric pump is dual mode, so they are available.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Comparisons cannot be made on this as we were lucky to be able to go back to enjoying caravan holidays for an extra few years, but last year we realised that the time had come to stop, What had once brought enjoyment and the joy of planning our next trip became a burden and dread. This is when you know it is time to look at new ways to enjoy breaks away and move on with no regrets just happy memories.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm 71, and like many of my age I have a couple of health issues.
I have good days and not so good days, so on the good days I'm OK to do most things, and at other times the simplest task can seem insurmountable.
I find that if I take my time and crack on slowly and steadily I always get there eventually.
Age is a number, a 70 year old these days doesn't seem as old as a 70 year old of the 1950s, but most of us were just children then.
I wonder what the children of today think of us?
🧓👵

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I'm 71, and like many of my age I have a couple of health issues.
I have good days and not so good days, so on the good days I'm OK to do most things, and at other times the simplest task can seem insurmountable.
I find that if I take my time and crack on slowly and steadily I always get there eventually.
Age is a number, a 70 year old these days doesn't seem as old as a 70 year old of the 1950s, but most of us were just children then.
I wonder what the children of today think of us?
🧓👵
My children are mid 50’s. already elderly according to some. Health wise my son has just had his kidney cancer successfully operated on. Now waiting for a thyroid operation brought on as a consequence.

Throughout, he has not felt ill or incapable. Hats off to cancer care, pity the vascular department, just next door is so very poor.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m now practising mind over matter. Brain 17. Body 70. But hearing JTQs stance I have to agree maybe there is no such thing as old age! In my case and I suspect a lot of us with different ailments and issues it’s a case of how do I manage ? This old dog has learnt a lot on this thread already and I am sure there will be more tips. Lockdown had an adverse affect on a lot of us. Going forward my ambition is to get back to Fat Club and shed the extra baggage asap 😉.
Next tip . Make sure the nearest Ale House is a longer walk away🤪

Reactions: DaveA1 and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m now practising mind over matter. Brain 17. Body 70. But hearing JTQs stance I have to agree maybe there is no such thing as old age! In my case and I suspect a lot of us with different ailments and issues it’s a case of how do I manage ? This old dog has learnt a lot on this thread already and I am sure there will be more tips. Lockdown had an adverse affect on a lot of us. Going forward my ambition is to get back to Fat Club and shed the extra baggage asap 😉.
Next tip . Make sure the nearest Ale House is a longer walk away🤪
Get yourself another Springer no Fat Club fees, and an enjoyable trek to the pub.

Reactions: Dustydog and Parksy
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Afraid have the same problems of slowing down but it is my motor insurance that stings just now. Due to me making 76 I found my renewal up £200 or so and comparison sites are even worse. CAMH can just beat it but that looks to be down to their £25 less guarantee at renewal and could go up next year.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I posted elsewhere about my step-father still caravanning at the age of 89, after their last trip away the other week my mum told me in a concerned voice that hammering in the awning pegs was nearly killing him (he has COPD). I asked him what pegs he was using on a (very hard) grass pitch and he proudly produced the bluntest set of PLASTIC pegs you've ever seen, I've seen sharper cucumbers. I bought them a set of new rock pegs and he had a go with them on the back garden, I think they made him feel 20 years younger!!!!!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Age is catching up with me. I agreed to go and have a pint with a fellow member of the Water Ways committee. on a Thursday at 6.30 in the pub.
Working in my back room looked at the clock and thought better get going don't want to be late. Get my pint and sit down and wait, no show, so I text him, say where are you. He came back saying he's in the Sugar Loaf pub out of town. He said thought we were meeting on Thursday, I said yes and I'm waiting.------------ IT'S Wednesday you pratt. Duuuuuh

Had a good night, an old mate from years ago walked in, supped a few on old memoies.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
I'm 76, but I haven't aged mentally since my early 40s. Still enjoing our vanning, both here and over the Channel .
Enjoyed some lovely oysters in Brittany last week. Although they tasted wonderful, sadly they didn't work.....:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts