Is your combination "Legal" ?

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
I have just asked the Caravan Club (as a member) as to whether my combination would be legal. Their response was VERY interesting.

Car: Renault Megane Cabriolet.

Kerb weight: 1430 kg

Max Towing: 1200 kg (these figures from plates on car/websites/Caravan Club).

Van; Swift Corniche 15/2

Max Authorised Weight: 1250kg

Caravan Allowable Payload: 225 kg (these figures from plate on van). Then told by Caravan Club that these figures are correct.

So, if I reduce my Caravan Payload by 75 kg, I should then be able to tow this van as the overall weight of it would be below the stated limit for my towcar. Or so I thought......

upon calling the Caravan Club, I was informed that, although my "van" might now weigh under the 1200kg limit for my towcar (by having weighed it loaded on a weigh-bridge), the fact that Swift have given it a rating of 1250kg means that that my insurance and warranty would be null and void. SO........

the question is.....

does the "rating" of a 'van count more than the actual weight?

If this is the case, then there may well be many very diligent caravan owners, who have read and followed the advice of various magazines, and have then assumed themselves to be fully legal whilst towing. If my information is correct, then unfortunately, many of us may actually be breaking the law and invalidating our insurance and warranties without realising it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The actual weight of the trailer plus the actual weight of the car MUST be below the Gross Train Weight.

The towing limit itself has no direct bearing in law - there are three weights that MUST NOT be exceeded:-

Car Maximum Authorised Weight

Caravan Maximumum Technically Permitted Laden Mass

Gross Train Weight.

Some Renault models can only tow their towing limit when the car is virtually unladen.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I think the CC view could be viewed as questionable.

For instance, my car weighs 1720kgs, if I was to hitch up to a trailer weighing 600kgs but capable of carrying 2000kgs (200kgs above my towing limit) they are in effect saying I would be illegal (unless I`ve misinterpreted and the Special Brew has taken hold earlier than the norm) even if the trailer was empty.

If they are correct, the law is an ass and probably not workable.

I`d advise Stuart to contact Swift, if they can uprate a caravan MTPLM, then they can also down-rate it by 50kgs.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Stuart I would imagine that the advise given to you by the CC is a case of best practise. I think their fear is should an insurance company fail to pay out you may beat a path to their door for compo.

I would run by your thoughts with your insurance company explaining that you are going to run the outfit at the legal weight.

In the event of a large accident most of your contents and probaly parts of the van will be spread over a wide area so I doubt if you would then be overloaded.

As to Rodgers comments there are also other weights that must not be exceded. Towball weight and axle weight come to mind.

It probaly is really worth finding out what your towball limit is as due to the fact that the towing limit is so low it may be about 50kg.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stuart,

I too have come across this situation and was told that if the 'van is plated above the towing limit of the car, not only would your insurance be void in the case of an accident but the police would take action if you were stopprd by them.

The only answer, was to take the 'van to a weighbridge on the day of travel. This would be the only way to prove your 'vans towing weight was legal.(ie less than the cars max).

This does not have any effect on gross train weight considerations.

Alternatively applying to the manufacturer for a reduced weight plate for the caravan could be tried.

Ron

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello All,

I have been in the same position as Angus. I too have a trailer unladen 600Kg, but with a MPTLM of 2000Kg.

I had always restricted towing the trailer (empty or full) to my Renault Espace with a 2000Kg limit. Simply because I thought the law looked at the theoretical figures rather than the actual weights.

I posed the question to DoT and they came back stating that a car can pull any trailer provide the trailer actual measured weight doe not exceed the cars limit. So I can pull my empty or part loaded trailer with My Saab provide its actual weight is less than the Saab's limit of 1600Kg

As such a combination is apparently legal, then an insurance company cannot refuse a claim on it, unless they has been specifically excluded in either their standard terms and conditions or as a special clause on a policy when the policy was issued or renewed. They cannot apply such clauses retrospectively.

I in any doubt consult you insurance company.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Currently, for weight legislation, the ACTUAL weights of the vehicle and/or trailer are used.

For licence legislation, the maximum PLATED weights are used - specifically for anyone passing their driving test after 1/1/1997 who hasn't passed an additional +E towing test.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Don't forget that the maximum permitted towing weight (in your case 1200kg) is NOT the total weight of the caravan, but only its axle load (the difference being the noseweight). Therefore, if the maximum authorised weight of the caravan is 1250kg, you would still be legal if the noseweight exceeds 50kg AND so long as you stay within the maximum permitted gross train weight.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
⇨so long as you stay within the maximum permitted gross train weight.

And there's the rub. As usual Renault's quoted weights don't add up. From one of their websites -

KW 1430

GVW 1885

Gross train weight 2850

So with a fully loaded car (inc noseweight within the 1885) you would need to keep your caravan axle load somewhat below 1000kg.

Granted, you might not load your car to full capacity, but anything over about 3 average people (no luggage) will start eating into your towing allowance.

Good old Renault.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts