It's Got Me Again!!! Panel Cracks!!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There seems to be a plethora of posts wrt Eldiss problems. There’s one where a side panel is parting company. My Sprite was a 2012 model which had a warranty repair in 2017 to replace a cracked rear panel that was allowing water ingress. What I don’t know is since ABS cracks became more of a problem have all makes changed the T&Cs of the warranties. Any info from another make(s) with a more recent build would be of interest as the industry tend to stay in lock step.
Actually most makes using ABS panels suffer from cracks and not just Elddis. Panels are still cracking on 2021 caravans so its seems that manufacturers have not learnt and still prefer the cheaper panels to save a few bob and blow the customer!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Actually most makes using ABS panels suffer from cracks and not just Elddis. Panels are still cracking on 2021 caravans so its seems that manufacturers have not learnt and still prefer the cheaper panels to save a few bob and blow the customer!
The point of my post was to elicit information to see if all makes now exclude panel cracks after year 1. But my reading of posts on the Forum does seem to reflect more problems wrt Eldiss. But it’s not a statistical given more an observation.

Reactions: Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Eldis warranty out as its a 2016 model

dealer only gave 6 months warranty, tried for 12 months but wouldn't budge!

Any way last dealer bodge repair on Fleetwood was diabolical did it myself 18 months later as it broke down again. This way I know what I'm getting.
The warranty does not prevent the CRA from applying but in theory at least gives you additional rights. As the others say you can still claim under the legislation.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I worked with thermo-forming for over 20 years (we even considered caravan panels at one point!) and SOME of the issues we encountered were due to the tooling. The tools were usually cast aluminium and over a production shift they would expand through the heat, so the theory was that the tool would be made slightly undersize, it SHOULD then be warmed before any forming is done to ensure it is in it's expanded/true size state. More often than not demands were that there wasn't time to warm the tool and hence it was run cold and the parts would gradually get bigger over a shift, not a problem for our parts as they were simply there to hold resin around a cable joint, but if the same should happen to caravan panels then the first ones will be undersized (and hence tight/stressed) compared to the last.

I have no idea if this is contributing to the problems people have (as a lot seem to stem from screws used with no pilot holes) but is something I have noticed previously.

Reactions: Hutch
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Isn’t there an ongoing case on here with another leaking Elddis? Elddis say the cracks were caused by pot holes so declined the claim! With that in mind I’d suggest Kev have a word with his Insurers if he wishes .
Nearly there now, sealant, captains Tolley and caps all arrived today.
Problem is the caps dont fit!!!!Grrrrrrrrrr
They are far too long with a massive gap at the curve on the rear corner, cant even cut them down to size as the gap at the rear will still be too big.
On to the supplier tomorrow.

Reactions: Dustydog
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The warranty does not prevent the CRA from applying but in theory at least gives you additional rights. As the others say you can still claim under the legislation.
So would CRA still apply as I have started the repair?
Or can I class it as a temp repair to prevent water ingress?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tricky,

I presume your argument would be the caravan has an inherent design/material defect, which has taken time to become apparent. Otherwise known as a latent defect.

The CRA expects the customer to report such a fault as soon as it becomes apparent, and to allow the seller first dibs at a remedy. It could be argued that as you did not report the issue as soon as was possible, that allowed the problem to be exacerbated, and the fact you have attempted an invasive repair, perhaps your intervention has made the situation worse, or it might have even made the sellers ability to repair more difficult.

I suspect your chances of a CRA success on this occasion have been reduced.

Reactions: Gagakev
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

CRA 2015 would have applied prior to starting the repair, but highly unlikely it could now be applied to any part of the rear panel or any damp issues in that area.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Tricky,

I presume your argument would be the caravan has an inherent design/material defect, which has taken time to become apparent. Otherwise known as a latent defect.

The CRA expects the customer to report such a fault as soon as it becomes apparent, and to allow the seller first dibs at a remedy. It could be argued that as you did not report the issue as soon as was possible, that allowed the problem to be exacerbated, and the fact you have attempted an invasive repair, perhaps your intervention has made the situation worse, or it might have even made the sellers ability to repair more difficult.

I suspect your chances of a CRA success on this occasion have been reduced.
Thats my problem, allowing the seller first dibs at a repair, I dont trust them to do a decent job, so Im very happy doing the repair myself knowing it will last. I have had plenty of experience in the past!!
The cost is just under £110.00 and a bit of my time, would have cost me more than that to return and collect the van to the dealer anyway.

Reactions: Mel and Dustydog
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Nearly there now, sealant, captains Tolley and caps all arrived today.
Problem is the caps dont fit!!!!Grrrrrrrrrr
They are far too long with a massive gap at the curve on the rear corner, cant even cut them down to size as the gap at the rear will still be too big.
On to the supplier tomorrow.
Well almost there now new ones on there way, needed ERC3 and not ERC1's.
Spoke to the supplier, Kenmore Caravans, Yorkshire, most helpful chap I have had pleasure in dealing with in quite a while, even took time out to pass on tips and explain the way they do it. (And they do quite a few!!)
Well done Kenmore Caravans.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well almost there now new ones on there way, needed ERC3 and not ERC1's.
Spoke to the supplier, Kenmore Caravans, Yorkshire, most helpful chap I have had pleasure in dealing with in quite a while, even took time out to pass on tips and explain the way they do it. (And they do quite a few!!)
Well done Kenmore Caravans.
I am with you Kev, I would rather do the job myself and know it is well done, glad you have got the correct parts on the way.

Reactions: Gagakev and Ferrodo
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
SO THE SAGA CONTINUES!!!! (more on that in a minute)

So the correct parts have arrived, but as we are going away on Thursday for 4 nights it is recommended not to move the van for a couple of days after fitting them, so will do them on my return.

So went out this evening to give the van a wash and spruce up and what did i find? yes you have guessed correctly, another crack this time lower down to the right of the number plate about 5 to 6 inches long, this area to me does not seem to be under a great deal of stress.
The problem with this one is that it cant be hidden/covered very well so would need either a professional repair or even a new back panel.
So my thoughts are the panel is breaking down to such a degree that it is going to keep happening.
So your thoughts on the CRA action on his one would be appreciated or even the cost of a new replacement panel might be another option.

OR do I get rid, because at the moment thats what I want to do, but if a dealer would take it I would probably have to take a massive hit in the pocket, wouldn't have the heart to sell it a private buyer.
looks like my 4 days away will be taken over by decision making.
Do I bother with the caps? It's booked for a service on the 13th April do I even bother and waste my money on a load of rubbish (thats the polite version)
Sorry for the long post, I need to get it off my chest!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So your thoughts on the CRA action on his one would be appreciated or even the cost of a new replacement panel might be another option.

I'm sorry to read of yet another fault on the panel.

I am not clear as to when you purchased the caravan, as that determines when the statue of limitations starts.

If you had just taped up the cracks, then I think that would be accepted as you taking reasonable steps to protect the caravan until the dealer could attempt a repair, but the fact you have taken invasive action however well intentioned it might have been probably scuppers your chances.

There is no harm in having a discussion with the seller, who might take pity, but I don't think you have a sustainable case under the CRA.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

I am not clear as to when you purchased the caravan, as that determines when the statue of limitations starts.

If you had just taped up the cracks, then I think that would be accepted as you taking reasonable steps to protect the caravan until the dealer could attempt a repair, but the fact you have taken invasive action however well intentioned it might have been probably scuppers your chances.

There is no harm in having a discussion with the seller, who might take pity, but I don't think you have a sustainable case under the CRA.
Prof, bought the van last March so just over 12 months ago.
As the lower new crack is at the bottom of the panel would this not be separate issue?
Also as I have yet to put the caps on, have I not taken a preventive measure by sealing the cracks, which I have done.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
I’ve got an Elddis Magnum GT 860 dealer special from Pearman Briggs. It’s 4.5 years old and rear panel has just started cracking. Called the dealer and it’s booked in for end of April for end caps to be bonded on all covered under warranty. They said that this is a permanent fix and not a cosmetic cover up. They also said that new caravans are arriving from the factory with these end caps already installed! We love this caravan but it’s so concerning to read of all the issues others are having with Elddis. Not sure we’d have another one but love the layout

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Prof, bought the van last March so just over 12 months ago.
As the lower new crack is at the bottom of the panel would this not be separate issue?
Also as I have yet to put the caps on, have I not taken a preventive measure by sealing the cracks, which I have done.

I am not in a position to say whether the new crack discovered recently would be enough to class it as a separate claim.

You may have taken what you consider to be preventative measures, but you have publicly admitted to drilling the ends of the cracks ( and posted photo's of it) and that is an invasive measure that might not have been necessary. You should have sought the sellers advice/ permision before removing any material.

You have also openly admitted that you did not advise the seller of the problem when you could have done, so that delay may have allowed or caused the condition to worsen.

You should seek professional legal advice to discover if you have any chance of a successful CRA claim.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Your assessment is correct, but whether or not that they had undertaken the repair, the other crack in an entirely different location has occurred so has no bearing on the work already done.

I think it would be best for Ken to contact Which Legal Services for further advise before approaching the dealer again so that Kev is armed with the knowledge to forestall the dealer giving him the brush off.

See https://legalservice.which.co.uk/our-service/contact-us/

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
SO THE SAGA CONTINUES!!!! (more on that in a minute)

So the correct parts have arrived, but as we are going away on Thursday for 4 nights it is recommended not to move the van for a couple of days after fitting them, so will do them on my return.

So went out this evening to give the van a wash and spruce up and what did i find? yes you have guessed correctly, another crack this time lower down to the right of the number plate about 5 to 6 inches long, this area to me does not seem to be under a great deal of stress.
The problem with this one is that it cant be hidden/covered very well so would need either a professional repair or even a new back panel.
So my thoughts are the panel is breaking down to such a degree that it is going to keep happening.

OR do I get rid, because at the moment thats what I want to do, but if a dealer would take it I would probably have to take a massive hit in the pocket, wouldn't have the heart to sell it a private buyer.
looks like my 4 days away will be taken over by decision making.
Do I bother with the caps? It's booked for a service on the 13th April do I even bother and waste my money on a load of rubbish (thats the polite version)
Sorry for the long post, I need to get it off my chest!!!
Sorry to hear of your further problem. I had a rear panel renewed in 2017 and tge dealership ( Tilshead) told me it would have cost me £3000-3500 if I had not had it replaced under warranty. Plus there was a 5 month wait for delivery. Not an easy decision on your part, but good luck.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gentlemen I come with my tail between my legs. As it was dark and dimpsy last night I wrongfully thought it was a crack, in daylight this morning I have discovered it is a deep gouge !!! Still bad enough but not a water ingress issue. Don't know how the gouge got there but better than a crack.
Once again sorry for last post and I thank you all sincerely for your help and concern.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Glad it's not, you have enough on your plate.

However I've seen enough of this type of fault to avoid any van with a structural abs panel in future.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Kev, your mistaking a gouge for yet another crack is, to me, symptomatic of the state of hyper vigilance and anxiety that I got into with our last van, a 2 berth Elddis that we had for a year. Every time we went out ( which was every 6 to 8 weeks) we found a new fault or two. It got to the point that going away became anxiety provoking and stressful wondering what we were going to have to deal with next. Fortunately we had negotiated a 2 year warranty with the dealer so they tackled each problem, but the hassle of back and forth to the dealership coupled with the “what’s going to go wrong now” did me in. Shame because the styling and layout of the van was lovely; but it was the worst build quality.
We thought about CRA but as the dealer did act fairly promptly in addressing each separate fault did not think it would get us very far.
So we went down the get rid and take the financial hit road, rightly or wrongly.
When we traded it in and they checked it, they found more damp by the door! This was six weeks after servicing. Fortunately covered by warranty.
The sense of relief when we got rid of it was massive but I will confess to a lingering, “Is it going to be OK“ on trips out in our new van; a 2 berth Swift Alpine.
I am not trying to tell you what to do, only what we did. The only advice I would give is, if you do get a different van, get a long warranty and don’t get an Elddis.
All the best in your decision making
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... the other crack in an entirely different location has occurred so has no bearing on the work already done. ...
The OP has not said its in a different panel, so I assumed it was the same panel just lower down and that is important, becasue a failure anywhere in the panel, menas the whole panel has developed a failure.

Frankly it's impossible to know without being expert in the subject, whether or not the initial work the OP did may or may not have had any causal effect on the most recent symptom. For example by relieving the problem area above may have reduced the support for the panel at high level, but that has increased the load beyond the designed expectations at a lower level increasing the risk of failure.

I totally agree he needs to seek professional advice regarding the failure.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The OP has not said its in a different panel, so I assumed it was the same panel just lower down and that is important, becasue a failure anywhere in the panel, menas the whole panel has developed a failure.

Frankly it's impossible to know without being expert in the subject, whether or not the initial work the OP did may or may not have had any causal effect on the most recent symptom. For example by relieving the problem area above may have reduced the support for the panel at high level, but that has increased the load beyond the designed expectations at a lower level increasing the risk of failure.

I totally agree he needs to seek professional advice regarding the failure.
Post #44 ,by Kev states it is NOT a crack but a gouge.

Reactions: Buckman and Gagakev
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kev,
I am seriously thinking of calling you the Crack Master rather than the Rain Master.
Thank goodness the latest is just a gouge. Easily fixed if you want to. My 15 year old Wyoming has two cracks each side near the top of the rear panel. Stress fractures. Six or so years ago I drilled a small crack halt hole,1mm. Each year I still apply a smidgeon of Capt Tolley’s sealant. The cracks have not developed nor has there n
been any rise in damp readings .
I’m inclined to believe the Elddis Caps will be both cosmetic and strengthening fixtures. A penny to a pound the dealer would also drill a creep stop hole. If this is all you are concerned about stick with her. But if she’s like Mel’s Elddis I’d get this fixed and do a px on another make.

Reactions: Gagakev and Mel

TRENDING THREADS