It's Got Me Again!!! Panel Cracks!!!

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have only had a cracked panel on a 1 year old Lunar Clubman, just as Lunar went bust, so either repair it and gamble on keeping it,or Pex and take hit, so took the hit and have had Swift for nearly 4 years now,but find it a sad reflection on the caravan industry that so many of us spend time fearing cracks or faults developing

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just a thought Kev regarding the gouge. Chris the mobile caravan sprayer, 07581 189029 based in Bristol, travels the whole U.K. fixing caravan bodywork. He’s been doing this work for decades, 18 years at Bailey repainting manufacturing defects.He charged me £660 inc vat for this bash, paid for by neighbours mum who backed into the caravan.

Attachments

• IMG_2194.jpeg
    IMG_2194.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Kev, your mistaking a gouge for yet another crack is, to me, symptomatic of the state of hyper vigilance and anxiety that I got into with our last van, a 2 berth Elddis that we had for a year. Every time we went out ( which was every 6 to 8 weeks) we found a new fault or two. It got to the point that going away became anxiety provoking and stressful wondering what we were going to have to deal with next. Fortunately we had negotiated a 2 year warranty with the dealer so they tackled each problem, but the hassle of back and forth to the dealership coupled with the “what’s going to go wrong now” did me in. Shame because the styling and layout of the van was lovely; but it was the worst build quality.
We thought about CRA but as the dealer did act fairly promptly in addressing each separate fault did not think it would get us very far.
So we went down the get rid and take the financial hit road, rightly or wrongly.
When we traded it in and they checked it, they found more damp by the door! This was six weeks after servicing. Fortunately covered by warranty.
The sense of relief when we got rid of it was massive but I will confess to a lingering, “Is it going to be OK“ on trips out in our new van; a 2 berth Swift Alpine.
I am not trying to tell you what to do, only what we did. The only advice I would give is, if you do get a different van, get a long warranty and don’t get an Elddis.
All the best in your decision making
mel
Hi Mel thanks for cheering me up!!!
You are right though, when I saw it in the dimpsy dark, I wrongly jumped to the wrong conclusion with the stress of the the other cracks as well. Just thought the worst.
Have a lot of thinking to do on this break starting tomorrow, lucky there is a pub both sides of the entrance gate.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Kev,
I am seriously thinking of calling you the Crack Master rather than the Rain Master.
Thank goodness the latest is just a gouge. Easily fixed if you want to. My 15 year old Wyoming has two cracks each side near the top of the rear panel. Stress fractures. Six or so years ago I drilled a small crack halt hole,1mm. Each year I still apply a smidgeon of Capt Tolley’s sealant. The cracks have not developed nor has there n
been any rise in damp readings .
I’m inclined to believe the Elddis Caps will be both cosmetic and strengthening fixtures. A penny to a pound the dealer would also drill a creep stop hole. If this is all you are concerned about stick with her. But if she’s like Mel’s Elddis I’d get this fixed and do a px on another make.
UMMM one title is enough thanks DD
Captain Tolleys now in the tool box
Think I'm not cut out for this caravaning lark,
1st van a Mardon Mystic was a damp time bomb, got rid as too far gone even for me back in the day,
2nd van the Swift Abbey major damp at rear, was repaired internally and externally by me, enjoyed that one, sense of achievement.
3rd van "Mr Fleety" (Fleetwood built by Adria) damp around wheel arch bodged under warranty, fixed by me 18 months later. then the major panel crack at he front again had it fixed and got rid
4th van this Eldiss is actually falling apart around me.
This was to be our last van and see us into retirement and beyond.

Time to get a tent me thinks, on second thoughts I ripped a brand new awning last year so dont hold out any hope for a tent to last me very long!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
UMMM one title is enough thanks DD
Captain Tolleys now in the tool box
Think I'm not cut out for this caravaning lark,
1st van a Mardon Mystic was a damp time bomb, got rid as too far gone even for me back in the day,
2nd van the Swift Abbey major damp at rear, was repaired internally and externally by me, enjoyed that one, sense of achievement.
3rd van "Mr Fleety" (Fleetwood built by Adria) damp around wheel arch bodged under warranty, fixed by me 18 months later. then the major panel crack at he front again had it fixed and got rid
4th van this Eldiss is actually falling apart around me.
This was to be our last van and see us into retirement and beyond.

Time to get a tent me thinks, on second thoughts I ripped a brand new awning last year so dont hold out any hope for a tent to last me very long!!
Kev, Mr Fleety only complained because you washed Him in the end , he would have been much happier scruffy.
Fit the end caps and say sod it and just enjoy getting out.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kev,
I‘d take a punt like Hutch.
The sad truth is all caravans are hit and miss. Once you fix the problems hopefully that’s it. But I do note what happened to Mel. The truth is my Wyoming has needed TLC most years, done by me mostly. That’s the name of the game with our pathetic poorly made caravans today. Will it change in my lifetime , I doubt it🙈. Now you know why I carry so many spares😉😉

Reactions: Bluetonic
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Kevin.....I hope you're remembering what the Doc said.
Caravans aren't essential but good health is highly desirable :)
You'll get over the caravan problems one way or another....small steps and deep breaths and take it easy as much as possible.
What a lovely little post Gafferbill, thank you.
On site, set up, been for a meal in the pub, now relaxing in the van with a beer. No TV , talking to the OH, yes we talk when we go away and put the world to rights. 🙈
Loving it, cracks what cracks??

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
OK Hutch you win, you can wash this one next time at the next fest.
Haha, we are not away this weekend, I had bi yearly heart valve scan last Tuesday, Elaine's birthday Yesterday, and today she has a 24 hr heart monitor fitted, we can get away soon , because as you know , We are retired, enjoy the Bank holiday. 🍻

May 3, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,
I have two symetrical cracks in my rear panel emerging from the roof strap. And hair line crack in front panel 2019 elddis caravan.. I have made temporary repairs . Dealer inspection found 30 % damp. Unfortunately panels are only covered for 12 months. Eldiss have offered new front panel and wall boards and corner caps for the rear. But dealer wants £4000 labour. I have drilled the cracks and re sealed last damp tests at 24% in the exact same spots. Is the offer of free parts goodwill from elddis a sign of guilt I dont know . But the other issue is they will only guarantee there work for 12 months . Therefore if they crack again at more than 12 months I back in the same position as I am now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,
I have two symetrical cracks in my rear panel emerging from the roof strap. And hair line crack in front panel 2019 elddis caravan.. I have made temporary repairs . Dealer inspection found 30 % damp. Unfortunately panels are only covered for 12 months. Eldiss have offered new front panel and wall boards and corner caps for the rear. But dealer wants £4000 labour. I have drilled the cracks and re sealed last damp tests at 24% in the exact same spots. Is the offer of free parts goodwill from elddis a sign of guilt I dont know . But the other issue is they will only guarantee there work for 12 months . Therefore if they crack again at more than 12 months I back in the same position as I am now.
It’s a sign of what seems to be a wider issue with Eldiss, and affecting modern vans. Your dealer is the responsible party to fix this. If Eldiss have offered parts that’s good, but under uK consumer law , CRA 2015, your dealer has responsibility. Look at the Which and Citizen’s Advice website for guidance. Also if you have the van via finance the finance house can help rectify the issue. Also if you used a credit card fir deposit or payment over £100 (check) section 75 of consumer credit act gives you protection.

Search this forum and you will see posts on CRA 2015 where members have either forced the dealer to uphold their responsibility or rejected the caravan for a refund.

The Which site allows you to draft a hard hitting letter spelling out the suppliers obligations in law and what you require them to do. Just remember it’s the dealer you deal with as that’s who your contract is with. Good luck. Keep us posted on progress.

PS drilling the cracks wasn’t a good idea whilst there are on going discussions on liability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts