Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have got the Alko side lift jack which I believe uses the same fixing to the chassis as the scissor jack.

The main advantage is that it is just gfor the van and stays in the van.You are advised by Alko to have the van connected to the car when jacking or there is a danger of movement.

I can vouch for this as mine fell off the jack fortunately back onto the axle stands.For years I used a small trolley jack which was much easier to raise the van

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless things have changed in the last few years, the Alko side lift does not fit into the same fixing as the scissor jack (mainly because the scissor jack does not have such fittings) I've had both and the side lift jack is far easier to use, but as john says, leave the car connected while you use it. For the price and the weight, a small bottle jack (eg from screwfix or Motorway) is well worth carrying, as if you get unlucky, you will find the side of the caravan with the punctured wheel is too low for either type of jack (but do leave the car connected, all brakes on and don't get too far underneath). Also, from bitter experience, keep any locks on the underslung spare wheel free from dirt and well oiled, so that you can get at it easily on a cold wet dark night.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Ray but things have changed.Just had a look on Alko Kober website and the 2ton scissor jack has a vertical tonge that fits into brackets on the chassis that look identical to my side lift ones.I find the side lift jack quite an effort to turn compared to a small trolley jack and always use the latter at home.It can be difficult to get the spare wheel out from under the van particularly if the tyre is flat so a good method is to drive up onto the spare wheel as this will then give enough clearance to get it out of the carrier so that you can drive up onto it etc etc.But to be serious it is VERY good advice to keep the carrier well lubricated (tri-flow) as this has to be THE most mauling job to pull it out as you have to lie on the floor to pull at the right angle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Both types fit the bracket.

Scissor jack not very user frendly, side lift not very stable tends to bend. My advice get a workshop to make up a pad that bolts on to where the jack would attach and use a trolly jack on the pad. If you need clearance for jack drive punctured wheel onto leveling block.

I like Alko products, but their jacks are rubbish. Having read other replies I think I will stop using the carrier and put the spare in the car boot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts