Jeremy Clarkson

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have noticed a little hostility creeping into the forum over J. Clarkson of TG fame, whysthatthen? Has this upstanding pillar of society done something to offend you personally or is the ugly green eyed monster working its evil way again?

Discuss...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like a lot of the "media", he seems to view us caravanners as the cause of every problem and traffic holdup going. We are easy targets for the anti caravan brigade, and the problem is , that if he and the rest of them, Ken Bruce, Johnny Walker, all the top gear team etc, etc keep banging on with all the garbage they spout,people will come to believe it.

We should bombard them with our protests the next time we see/hear one of them mouthing off, we should be good at it considering some of the venom that is unleashed on this forum.

Barney the (not too) Elder.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
His attitude towards bikers is almost criminal. He has in the past called for wires to be placed across the road at motorcyle neck height. Also when his wife pulled out on a biker in europe (who was doing no wrong), almost killing him, his comment was "she should have killed the idiot".

Why does he hate bikers so much? I suppose it has nothing to do with the fact that he lives on one of the best biking roads in the UK.

This is all apart from the fact that he wants all caravans banned in the UK.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hmmmmmmm I can remember bringing this subject up before and was shouted down by most of the forum users who seemed to think he was the best thing since sliced bread. It will be interesting to see the response this time around. Totally agree emmerson :O) too full of his own self importance. Arrogant is the word that comes to mind.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hmmmmmmm I can remember bringing this subject up before and was shouted down by most of the forum users who seemed to think he was the best thing since sliced bread. It will be interesting to see the response this time around. Totally agree emmerson :O) too full of his own self importance. Arrogant is the word that comes to mind.
That's very mild LB! He's made an awful lot of money out of being an arogant dickhead..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So he's a rich arrogant dickhead.

Barney (the elder)

May 20, 2005
Visit site
It shows how arrogant they are when one of the Di*k heads comes on here http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newforums/fm_messages.asp?fo=5&fm=94908 and asks us to help them ridicule caravanning.

It used to be a good program before it became the Clarkson Show and they used to give useful reports on cars joe public bought, now its about celebs and fancy cars, it would be a good format for a section on caravanning topics especially tow cars. It will never happen with those dickheads running it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I love cars of all shapes and sizes. Therefore I like this program and find his show well presented and fun.

Far better than 5th Gear which I find stilted and stuck in a time warp.

So he dosn't like Caravans!

And he dosn't like Motorbikes!

Well guys you better sit down as this may be a bit of a shock to you!

He represents the majority of the car driving public!!

I am not saying I agree with him (how could I - I was riding a bike only a few years ago and have a caravan now) but if you think we towers of sheds on wheels are a popular bunch forget it!

As for Bike riders - think of the the impression you give when you next overtake on a blind bend or cut someone up.

Calling him all the names under the sun will not improve our image - just underline it.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Clive, I cannot beleive that the majority of the car driving public think that motorcyclists should be murdered as they ride to work!

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I quite like watching Top Gear and find that JC (that's what he likes to be called I don't know why) 8o) makes some valid points and find myself agreeing with him a lot of the time, but then he'll come out with something completely off the wall such as the biker comments or a scathing attack on caravanners and I find myself thinking where did that come from?

He can be interesting one minute and then really let himself down the next.

Feb 9, 2006
Visit site
I hope I can put this in a way that won't offend anyone, if I do I'm sorry but I don't mean to. I think Clarkson is really funny and often echos the thoughts of lots of people in some way or another but obviously not everything he says will be seen in that light by everyone. I do firmly believe that he often plays devils advocate and does so mostly for the fun of it. I dont take him that seriously most of the time and find his short stories and anacdotes hilarious. I may be wrong in summing up his motives for what he writes in this way but I still think hes funny.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve I never said that the majority of people wanted bikers murderred! I said the majority did not like bikers.

As for them being killed - statistics would indicate that bikers do not require any help in that department - they do a pretty good job of getting themselves killed all by themselves!

Yes! I know that most are sensible riders and ride with all due care and attention - but you have to admit - a good many drive like they have had a common sense sugical bi-pass.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Clive

I don't agree with most of those comments so I will bow out of the thread for fear of getting into a heated discussion that will prove fruitless

Steve

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Wow thats two of us backed out of threads today - whats the forum coming to, heheheh! :O( Its the best option when its realised that nobody is going to agree and no common ground can be found.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, seeing as I started this thread, I'm going to stick my pennies worth in before it gets lost.

Clarkson has made his name by being out spoken to the extent of appearing to be a loud mouth dicksomethingorother (the mods watching). It's how he makes a living and up to yet he's not done a bad job. Most of what he says is tongue-in-cheek, weighted to provoke a reaction, much like an old member of this forum, for example the bike story, do you really think that if he had the power to implement wires across the road that he actually would? However the similarities stop there, for there is a depth to Clarkson most people don't or prefer not to see.

This man knows he isn't immortal; he knows his faults and can accept them. He champions the man on the street and something that according to this forum is most treasured, freedom of speech. No other gets away with being so unpolitically correct than he does, he's allowed to do it because at the same time nobody takes him seriously. He likes getting to the facts, cutting red tape and highlighting failures in government where they need highlighting. Let's take pollution for example; he and his team are responsible for showing that the total pollution in the UK caused by cars is less than that caused by the process of making cement in this country. Now I don't know if this is correct, but I don't see anyone challenging the fact. This puts into perspective where the pollution comes from and gives us the public something we can use to compare and properly judge our own effects on the environment. A lot easier than just a bunch of solitary CO2 figures to digest wouldn't you say.

Ok nearing the end now. Let's talk of Top Gear, this program was cancelled, it had run its course viewing figures were down, the program was old and stale. We did without it for a time and that was when Fifth Gear took up the gauntlet using the style of the old Top Gear. It was ok but we didn't know any better at the time, which was until TG was re-launched and now we do know better. Now we have found what entertainment in the motoring world can be like. True a few caravans have been lost in the process but even these were old and probably dangerous, but the fun is back in the program and viewing figures speak for themselves. Read some of his books, try to cut through the chaff, and understand the man before you start calling him names. He probably wouldn't do it for you, but then he is Clarkson.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I'm still a biker that was actually hit by a caravan some years ago, I have a caravan of course and drive small trucks white vans and fast cars and have race licenses for cars and bikes.

I have also met Clarkson twice and have been to a recording of his show as another was full and we got sent in with the Clarkson audience about 5 years ago.

Having met him "off stage", the guys OK. And his show was funnier off stage than the parts that went to air. The guys "tag" is being controversial, so bikes and caravans get a bit of stick. So what, who cares. Clarkson took a few swipes at the audience and nearly wet himself when they hit back and they had to stop filming. Ckarkson stood up for the audience against the producer and floor manager to their disgust and did it his way.

He made a lot of friends that evening, when the greens hit him with a pie as he got an honorary degree, he laughed his head off and complimented them on their taste!

The guy is "big enough" to take it, as well as dish out a bit of controversy. Just take it.

Years ago he ripped it out of the Volvo set whilst owning and driving one himself.

I know a well known top actor who sets himself up as a certain type. He actually owns bikes and rides anonymously, most of his actor friends don't even know.

It's TV and media, you don't have to take it to heart.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not sure why there is an issue here?

I drive a 4x4 - but recognise that some 4x4 drivers are idiotic enough to drive off road irresponsibly

I used to ride a 550cc Suzuki until a few years ago and prior to that - Various Scramblers (the Cotton was my favourite), a Velocette 350, an AJS 500, a Triumph Daytona, Norton Commando (what a pile of poo that one was!) etc etc. Even back then there were idiot bikers and a lot killed and injured themselves

I have a caravan and tow it responsibly (I hope - and judging from the double horn blasts when I pull over to let others past - on the whole my efforts are appreciated by other road users.

But even I as a caravanner myself get hacked off with the guy doing 50 mph whilst towing his caravan and refuses to pull over when he can to let others past. And there are more of the selfish caravanners out there than the considerate in my opinion.

I love biking but despair at the stupidity of some bikers. As soon as the sun comes out in a few months time out will come the leathers and out will go the common sense for a lot of them.

I go green laning and Off Roading, but cannot believe that some 4x4 drivers think that they can play the tricks we all like to do on an Off-Road course on a BOAT (Byway Open to All Traffic)Green Lane!

Just because we have our own particular interests does not mean that any activity within that interest is beyond criticism. OK Jeremy Clarkson is a bit extreme, but I have got angry at Motorcyclists ding crazy things as I have with inconsiderate pillocks who tow a caravan as tho' they are the only people on the road.

My pet hate is cyclists ( and I ride a MTB as well!) they ignore road signs and traffic lights, whizz past horses with no consideration and carve up the delicate surface of the northern bit of the New Forest which is about 2 inches of peat and horse crap sitting on top of sand and gravel.

This despite warning notices forbidding cycling in this area.

Of course it is only a minority of each group that does such things - but not to accept that it happens is just looking at like thro' rose tinted glasses.

We should be aware that things can get banned fairly easily these days, the Green Lanes are going - only 5% of all un-tarmaced paths, roads, byways etc are BOATS where vehicles can legally go but even this is too much for the Ramblers Association.

I heard today that because pistol shooting is banned in the UK after the Dunblaine tragedy, one of our Olympic hopefuls last fired her pistol in November but she was competing today.

So how do we fancy being told that we can have a caravan holiday in the UK but we cannot tow one so all our caravans become "Static" overnight?

Or if we want to tow we can do so on the continent so we all end up storing our tourers in France.

Or what about only being able to tow at night?

All of the above have been suggested as realistic solutions to help our crowded road system.

Illogical - yes - but no more so than the knee jerk reaction that now affects pistol shooting or the closure of the last few Green Lanes.

Oh and did I mention the "Dangerous Dog" Act.

All stupid legislation brought in on the back of "public opinion".

And whilst I am on a role! - The Hunting with Dogs ban!

Whatever you views - you have to admit that as the same activity is still going on with the Police saying "Forget it - we do not care!" - this has got to be the most stupid law yet written.

Trouble is if they banned caravans - how could they miss such an easy target?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I drive a 4x4 - but recognise that some 4x4 drivers are idiotic enough to drive off road irresponsibly

I used to ride a 550cc Suzuki until a few years ago and prior to that - Various Scramblers (the Cotton was my favourite), a Velocette 350, an AJS 500, a Triumph Daytona, Norton Commando (what a pile of poo that one was!) etc etc. Even back then there were idiot bikers and a lot killed and injured themselves

I have a caravan and tow it responsibly (I hope - and judging from the double horn blasts when I pull over to let others past - on the whole my efforts are appreciated by other road users.

But even I as a caravanner myself get hacked off with the guy doing 50 mph whilst towing his caravan and refuses to pull over when he can to let others past. And there are more of the selfish caravanners out there than the considerate in my opinion.

I love biking but despair at the stupidity of some bikers. As soon as the sun comes out in a few months time out will come the leathers and out will go the common sense for a lot of them.

I go green laning and Off Roading, but cannot believe that some 4x4 drivers think that they can play the tricks we all like to do on an Off-Road course on a BOAT (Byway Open to All Traffic)Green Lane!

Just because we have our own particular interests does not mean that any activity within that interest is beyond criticism. OK Jeremy Clarkson is a bit extreme, but I have got angry at Motorcyclists ding crazy things as I have with inconsiderate pillocks who tow a caravan as tho' they are the only people on the road.

My pet hate is cyclists ( and I ride a MTB as well!) they ignore road signs and traffic lights, whizz past horses with no consideration and carve up the delicate surface of the northern bit of the New Forest which is about 2 inches of peat and horse crap sitting on top of sand and gravel.

Of course it is only a minority of each group that does such things - but not to accept that it happens is just looking at like thro' rose tinted glasses.

We should be aware that things can get banned fairly easily these days, the Green Lanes are going - only 5% of all un-tarmaced paths, roads, byways etc are BOATS where vehicles can legally go but even this is too much for the Ramblers Association.

I heard today that because pistol shooting is banned in the UK after the Dunblaine tragedy, one of our Olympic hopefuls last fired her pistol in November but she was competing today.

So how do we fancy being told that we can have a caravan holiday in the UK but we cannot tow one so all our caravans become "Static" overnight?

Or if we want to tow we can do so on the continent so we all end up storing our tourers in France.

All of the above have been suggested as realistic solutions to help our crowded road system.

Illogical - yes - but no more so than the knee jerk reaction that now affects pistol shooting or the closure of the last few Green Lanes.

Whatever you views - you have to admit that as the same activity is still going on with the Police saying "Forget it - we do not care!" - this has got to be the most stupid law yet written.

And there was I thinking I had written a sermon. Took me half an hour, bet you did that in five mins Clive. Life aint fair and it's bed time already.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site

Like Clive , I have other tastes vehicle wise.

In another thread talk of speed and what I consider preaching drives me mad.

I have ridden bikes all over Europe and other parts of the world and have never been booked, I have been stopped and complimnted by the police and complimented as a biker at the scene of a motorway crash involving a caravan when I stopped to help.

People bang on about the law, but we all should as Clive says look at our actions as caravanners because I see more than my fair share of plonkers tugging.

Laugh at/to yourself and enjoy your hobby, who cares what others think!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, seeing as I started this thread, I'm going to stick my pennies worth in before it gets lost.

Clarkson has made his name by being out spoken to the extent of appearing to be a loud mouth dicksomethingorother (the mods watching). It's how he makes a living and up to yet he's not done a bad job. Most of what he says is tongue-in-cheek, weighted to provoke a reaction, much like an old member of this forum, for example the bike story, do you really think that if he had the power to implement wires across the road that he actually would? However the similarities stop there, for there is a depth to Clarkson most people don't or prefer not to see.

This man knows he isn't immortal; he knows his faults and can accept them. He champions the man on the street and something that according to this forum is most treasured, freedom of speech. No other gets away with being so unpolitically correct than he does, he's allowed to do it because at the same time nobody takes him seriously. He likes getting to the facts, cutting red tape and highlighting failures in government where they need highlighting. Let's take pollution for example; he and his team are responsible for showing that the total pollution in the UK caused by cars is less than that caused by the process of making cement in this country. Now I don't know if this is correct, but I don't see anyone challenging the fact. This puts into perspective where the pollution comes from and gives us the public something we can use to compare and properly judge our own effects on the environment. A lot easier than just a bunch of solitary CO2 figures to digest wouldn't you say.

Ok nearing the end now. Let's talk of Top Gear, this program was cancelled, it had run its course viewing figures were down, the program was old and stale. We did without it for a time and that was when Fifth Gear took up the gauntlet using the style of the old Top Gear. It was ok but we didn't know any better at the time, which was until TG was re-launched and now we do know better. Now we have found what entertainment in the motoring world can be like. True a few caravans have been lost in the process but even these were old and probably dangerous, but the fun is back in the program and viewing figures speak for themselves. Read some of his books, try to cut through the chaff, and understand the man before you start calling him names. He probably wouldn't do it for you, but then he is Clarkson.
Oh, did I mention the fact that he sees us caravaners as a step further up the food chain than farm yard vehicles? So we are not the lowest of the low, not so bad after all is he?

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I have no particular beef with Clarkson. I don't especially like him but I have noticed in his newspaper columns he has an uncanny knack for hitting the nail right on the head, and picking up on a point of view that no one else has considered. Topgear on the other hand I regard as being Jeremy and a few friends getting together once a week to have a blast in a few supercars at the license payers' expense. How many car buyers in Britain need to compare a Bentley with an Aston Martin? It's mostly pointless. I remember as a lad watching Topgear with William Woolard, where they reviewed cars the public were actually likely to buy.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
cris has hit the nail on the head, you only have to watch and assess his prowess behind the wheel to determine his real occupation, he is an actor and journo being paid to entertain not to drive cars particularly well.

Looking at who beat his time round the Top Gear track speaks volumes.

Chill out and don't take him so seriously, his comments are only designed to be controversial

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Love watching TG, (quite fancy Richard Hammond)! but can't stand Jeremy Clarkson. Everything is beneath him, it would seem, and I thought it was brilliant when he was a passenger in a fast jet and he threw up - what a baby, that soon shut him up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts