Jockey wheel

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I’ve had pneumatic before, no good. Punctures easily, lose pressure quickly due to small size , just something else to go wrong. The pic I showed lasted 15 years and is still operational over many rough terrains. Dare I say , don’t reinvent the wheel😜

You are out of date DD. Pneumatics are now available that are totally puncture-proof. And have been for some years.

But they may well be less suitable for twin axle vans. I do not have that experience to say for sure.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I’ve got similar on my wheelbarrow as I just got fed up with the maintenance and failures of pneumatic tyres. Must be 4-5 years old by now. No deterioration visible despite living outdoors.

There are some cheap puncture-proof wheels around but, in my opinion, the industrial options are far superior.

However, watch out for the offset ones. They are designed for two wheels on one axle.

The ones Hutch gave a link to look good to me.

But if anyone wants to get a new wheel, they need to check the axle diameter and that the gap in the yoke is sufficient. If it is too big then spacers can be used.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We eventually decided to change the Alko assembly for the Kartt non slip assembly. Hopefully it will arrive before we go away end of next week.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You are out of date DD. Pneumatics are now available that are totally puncture-proof. And have been for some years.

But they may well be less suitable for twin axle vans. I do not have that experience to say for sure.

John
Another factor John is the tyre size and profile. My JW fits Inboard of the chassis near the brake assembly . I admit it’s 20 years since I last had a pneumatic. In all honesty even today I cant see any real benefit

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
I fancy the Kartt wide wheel ratchet model but I am a bit put off because they say it requires a different clamp which in turn requires additional work.
I am unsure what the OEM spec is of my currently fitted alko one is, it also has a pneumatic tyre though I am not sure if that is oem either.

Why would it require another clamp if its 48mil

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Another factor John is the tyre size and profile. My JW fits Inboard of the chassis near the brake assembly . I admit it’s 20 years since I last had a pneumatic. In all honesty even today I cant see any real benefit
The benefits for me, with an SA were, quiet over the gravel, no digging in, excellent over soft ground, can get over small obsticles, smoother, less resistance for the mover, or, god forbid, pushing.

The benifits may well be less for a TA, and, as I said above, the highest loading I could find was 105kg, so may not be advisable to even try.

I have fitted them to inboard assemblies with no issue.

John

Reactions: Pamplona
Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
Apologies for JW stuff but im trying to feel my way through the variables on the Karrt site. Does anyone have the Karrt auto lift? if so what are the benefits of it, and more importantly the longevity? I am trying to get my head around such a moving part relative to train weight when moving the van on the motor movers

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Apologies for JW stuff but im trying to feel my way through the variables on the Karrt site. Does anyone have the Karrt auto lift? if so what are the benefits of it, and more importantly the longevity? I am trying to get my head around such a moving part relative to train weight when moving the van on the motor movers
We have the non slip Kartt arriving Monday or Tuesday. I am not sure what extra the auto lift would add?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Here is the guff, but still cannot understand the "auto" part? https://www.kartt.com/60mmHeavyDutyJockeyWheel
The Kartt autolift seems to lift the wheel on the shaft as the shaft is shortened, giving a longer range of movement before the shaft has to be repositioned in the clamp. Where the clamp is inboard of the A-frame, the wheel can't be stowed any higher than a standard Alko jockey wheel. I don't see the benefit of the autolift.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The Kartt autolift seems to lift the wheel on the shaft as the shaft is shortened, giving a longer range of movement before the shaft has to be repositioned in the clamp. Where the clamp is inboard of the A-frame, the wheel can't be stowed any higher than a standard Alko jockey wheel. I don't see the benefit of the autolift.
Fully agree, the wheel retracts as you raise the the JW, it might not be suitable for a lot of caravans. And at 11.7 kg that's another weight gain

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What is the point of the built in fixing bracket? Looking at the spec I can’t see how it would easily fit into my inboard JW location? Would the bracket get in the way of the braking system?
I get the auto lift but don’t see how it works. It looks very substantial. Please let us know how easily it fits your Bucanneer

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If that is the case, I can see the point, I have often been on an uneven site and needed to put the front steadies down in order to adjust the jockey wheel for another bite.

Having a greater scope might reduce the need to do this every so often. But if only level sites are used, perhaps there is little point.

Very clever though.

John

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input on this, I could not see what the value would be for me personally and I did not understand what it was for, I needed other more expert eyes to look. I think I will be going with the smooth low profile solid.

Pete

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well our Kartt jockey wheel assembly arrived today. Totally gob smacked at the weight as ALKO weighs just over 4kg and this assembly weighs a margin under 10kg so more than double the weight of the ALKO.

I did think it would weigh a bit more, but not more than double the ALKO which obviously raises concerns for us. With the present set up plus towing cover our nose weight is about 140-145kg.

The unit is well engineered and will outlast the caravan by a couple of hundred years, but certainly did not expect it to weigh so much. There is no mention of its weight on the CAMC or Kartt websites!

Now unsure if I have done the right thing?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
At that weight it might put those with borderline nose weights over the limit. The weight should be stated, although you could ask, but as with all internet purchases you do have the right to send it back.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Well our Kartt jockey wheel assembly arrived today. Totally gob smacked at the weight as ALKO weighs just over 4kg and this assembly weighs a margin under 10kg so more than double the weight of the ALKO.

I did think it would weigh a bit more, but not more than double the ALKO which obviously raises concerns for us. With the present set up plus towing cover our nose weight is about 140-145kg.

The unit is well engineered and will outlast the caravan by a couple of hundred years, but certainly did not expect it to weigh so much. There is no mention of its weight on the CAMC or Kartt websites!

What is it about the present Alko JW that has prompted you to change?

I agree with Raywood. The weight should be specified. When items are not properly specified online. It makes me think they are doing so deliberately.

John

Reactions: RogerL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

Send it back 😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What is it about the present Alko JW that has prompted you to change?

I agree with Raywood. The weight should be specified. When items are not properly specified online. It makes me think they are doing so deliberately.

John
The current wheel on the assembly is past its sell by date. Also noticed when using the mover that the assembly seemed to bend or lean especially on soft ground?

Anyway I thought I would try and fit it using the front steadies I lift the caravan has high as possible and unwound the ALKO, but the darn thing would not come apart no matter what I tried. I wound it back in as far as possible and wriggled it out the hole.

The Kartt was an easy fit. I have now moved stuff around in the caravan to compensate for the extra unexpected nose weight, but where the caravan is in storage I cannot check the nose weight due to it being on a slight slope. I will need to wait until Friday when we hook up to go away to see if I need to adjust anything more to keep nose weight at about 140kg.

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
I bought the 'Ultimate Caravan Jockey Wheel' via CAMC but looked at the Kartt website for the detailed information. I thought it was clear enough.
The relevant specifications are as per these screen grabs:-

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 12.21.28.png
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 12.21.46.png

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Karrt do make it fairly clear they are trying to service the trailer market, not specifically caravans, so the Auto lift models may designed to meet the needs of a different type of trailer.

I did look up the Karrt website, and as far as I could see each item did have its weight specified.

For 99% of caravans I think the standard Alko JW should be more than adequate.

Reactions: Hutch
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts