Keen Alarm PIR triggers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks - I have Keen Concept Kel 2002 Alarm fitted to van which has a roof mounted "dome shapped" PIR sensor. Normally works well but when away on site last week "triggered" unaccountably on a couple of occasions. The only common factor was towels drapped over an airer left in the van whilst we went out with blown air heating left on low. Can someone offer an explanation as to why this should possibly "trigger" the PIR sensor - which was close to towels, Since arriving home and emptying van the alarm is working perfectly. Is it towels or heating or a combination? Help and explanations most gratefully received.

John

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
PIR Sensors work by detecting ie movement and/or body heat. It would appear that you had both these variables John. Shows that the Keen Alarm is doing its job then!

Pop

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
PIR Sensors work by detecting ie movement and/or body heat. It would appear that you had both these variables John. Shows that the Keen Alarm is doing its job then!

Pop
Sorry. Forgot to mention that the trigger could have been the thermostate on your heating system, clicking on or off as this sometimes spikes the electrics. Would have thought that this would have been ironed out in manufacture though?

Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

I have a PIR on my landing at home, this was triggered, we believe on one occasion by the dehumidifier also on the landing giving off warm air.

My new caravan has the sensor where yours is, so I will be aware when setting it up.

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John, You could check the control box. It has a light which flashes at a particular rate according to which sensor has been tripped. It could be that the voltage sensor tripping as Pip has suggested

The other thing is to contact Keen Electronics direct, I found them very helpful last weekend

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I had a car alarm a while back which consistently went off at 5:30 am every summer morning until I discovered that the sun on the car was warming the air inside and setting off the movement sensors. Fortunately the alarm had the option of disabling these sensors, curing my problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts