KIA SORENTO

May 12, 2005
Visit site
I have just opened my Caravan Club mag, and guess which car is tow car of the year 2006, I`m even more glad that I bought one now, this accolade proves all the supporters correct and puts to bed all the negative comments from the critcs. and now with sat nav as standard, and even more torque its an even better buy.

just going for a drive,

BYE, Tony A.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I didn't need the caravan club to tell me how good they are, I have known since April last year. Think I will go for a drive to........ ; )

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Glad you like your Kia's guys, But on the negative side ( there always is one) They are like rocking horse droppings to buy second hand......at the moment!

But they are without doubt a good piece of kit, and this is what stops me from buying one is that in 3 years time the second hand market is going to be swamped with Kia's, Thats when I'll bag a bargain and let someone else lose the money, I couldn'tt face losing at least 17 1/2% vat on it as soon as I drive it home from the showroom.

But yes your right....I am jealous , but I can wait.

Enjoy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Glad you like your Kia's guys, But on the negative side ( there always is one) They are like rocking horse droppings to buy second hand......at the moment!

But they are without doubt a good piece of kit, and this is what stops me from buying one is that in 3 years time the second hand market is going to be swamped with Kia's, Thats when I'll bag a bargain and let someone else lose the money, I couldn'tt face losing at least 17 1/2% vat on it as soon as I drive it home from the showroom.

But yes your right....I am jealous , but I can wait.

Enjoy
The UK, gets a limited quota (Kia's idea) so prices should be comparable with similar offerings in 3 years time Tom. That's why you don't see an awfull lot for sale secondhand, the demand is there, we just aint selling.

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
The UK, gets a limited quota (Kia's idea) so prices should be comparable with similar offerings in 3 years time Tom. That's why you don't see an awfull lot for sale secondhand, the demand is there, we just aint selling.
You don't seriously believe that do you Lol??

So when the UK showrooms have used up their quota or stock then it's,

"sorry guys but you will have to leave your showrooms empty cos you've had your lot!"

Wake up and smell the typhoo guys, If the public wants em they will keep on filling the showrooms which bounces back to my original statement that in 3 years time you will have your pick of used Sorento's on the forecourts for around the

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Eat your hearts out all you disbelievers!

I bought my Sorento new early July 05 as my company have scrapped their company car scheme. We spent a lot of time doing research and concluded a new Sorento was the best overall deal for us. 3yr guarantee etc. What really persuaded us however was the way Jeremy Clarkson raved about it and more important it won the 4x4 top award in the JD Power Survey. Now for the icing on the cake. My good old Caravan Club have chosen it , against firece competion, as the Towcar of the Year 2006. Well I was right to buy and have no regrets whatsoever. If you moaners don't like it buy something else. It does exactly what I want at a reasonable cost. The mpg has steadily improved with mileage. Solo I managed 36mpg last week although towing to Scotland recently I was down to 27mpg on average. Not bad all things considered. I am very happy and clearly made an excellent choice. Alan R

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Eat your hearts out all you disbelievers!

I bought my Sorento new early July 05 as my company have scrapped their company car scheme. We spent a lot of time doing research and concluded a new Sorento was the best overall deal for us. 3yr guarantee etc. What really persuaded us however was the way Jeremy Clarkson raved about it and more important it won the 4x4 top award in the JD Power Survey. Now for the icing on the cake. My good old Caravan Club have chosen it , against firece competion, as the Towcar of the Year 2006. Well I was right to buy and have no regrets whatsoever. If you moaners don't like it buy something else. It does exactly what I want at a reasonable cost. The mpg has steadily improved with mileage. Solo I managed 36mpg last week although towing to Scotland recently I was down to 27mpg on average. Not bad all things considered. I am very happy and clearly made an excellent choice. Alan R
they seem to have been recalled more times than a new born baby if im not correct?????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
they seem to have been recalled more times than a new born baby if im not correct?????
Unfortunately no, Klarky, you must have it mixed up with something else. Mine has been recalled just the once and when inspected, needed no further action as did the vast majority of those recalled.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The Kia winning the best Towcar award in the caravan magazine is a bit of a false award.They only test cars that are new or have been updated thats why the Toureg v10 won it last and i believe the Kia was in that line up and it wasnt tested against bigger awd cars they tested on price

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You don't seriously believe that do you Lol??

So when the UK showrooms have used up their quota or stock then it's,

"sorry guys but you will have to leave your showrooms empty cos you've had your lot!"

Wake up and smell the typhoo guys, If the public wants em they will keep on filling the showrooms which bounces back to my original statement that in 3 years time you will have your pick of used Sorento's on the forecourts for around the

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Klarky.

As I have just retired from the motor trade, I can assure you that I would rather have the vehicle recalled and fixed, than what usually happens with most manufactures IE: Put right when next in for service or only if the customer complains.My Sorento is 1yr old this month.I have put 13500 mile on the clock. 1 recall for ECU upgrade. Best tow car I have ever had.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Klarky, apart from that being an American site, I only found one instance since 2003 where the Sorento was recalled, Kia in general being no worse than the rest. I take it your not too impressed with the Sorento, why's that then?

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The Kia is a good car and great value , the downside small boot,at the end of day you buy a car for its use and the amount it cost , if you can afford 40k then you tend to spend 40k , if you can only afford 20k you spend 20k its as simple as that , ok the brand loyalty comes into it and a bit of badge must have , but each to there own , why do people buy Porsches when a Golf Gti does the same job its because they can.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Mike, the cost of ownership is not just the purchase price - it's the difference between purchase price and the resale value, and the not inconsiderable decision as to whether you are willing to have that amount of money tied up for a few years.

In this posting I'm not making any comment about the residual value of one car against another, just pointing out that some cars depreciate slowly, some extremely quickly, and the cheapest car may not be the one with the lowest price.

Robert

Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob

people do look into the cost of ownership and running costs , but you do tend to find that the Discos,beamers and mercs of this world tend to hold around 60% of their value and if you are willing to spend 40k on a car i dont think running costs come into it too much , you only have to look at all the v8's and 4.6's 4x4's on the road only getting 15 to the gallon , costs a fortune on fuel alone , but they still sell

Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Billy dont get too excited about Land Rover being a British car , rumour has it that the USA are tooling up to be able to build Land Rovers as building them in the Uk is too expensive for the US market

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I too have seen those stories and feel it will happen. Even tho' I love LR's - you have to admit the quality has in the past left a lot to be desired compared to other marques.

That said the only problem we had with our Freelander purchased from new in 2001 was a squeaky dash which was fixed without problem at a service. I think Ford by putting LR in its PAG has worked wonders.

Lets face it LR gearboxes always have been rubbish. How is it that I can jump into a Transit van with 200,000 miles on the clock and the gearbox is as slick and crisp as ever. My RR gearbox was screaming like a banshee at 90,000 miles and replaced with an Auto-box when it failed at 110,000 miles.

Which does underline an older LR's most charming trait - they can be rebuilt so easily as they are built like a meccano set.

My 22 year old Range Rover still goes well - sails through the MOT and performs as a tow truck VERY well. On top of that it still has a value! What other 22 year old car is still running let alone have a resale value?

As for LR's being made elswhere - this is not new. South Africal Land Rovers were made from "Kits" sent out from the UK and used BMW engines before BMW ever came on the scene as owner in the UK. Similar in Australia.

Santana in Spain still makes a derivative of the Serries Vehicles withy leaf springs which whilst it looks like a LR actually is a very different vehicle indeed but it is an evolution of the LR vehicles that Santana used to make under licence.

I feel that to survive two vehicle types will be made- Upmarket vehicles in the UK (and probably US) and utility vehicles somewhere else in the expanding EU.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I only post because i do not understand the above (sorry Road Runner!) - having just looked on Autotrader - new Sorento's are going for about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts