KIA SORENTO

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Lol,

I'm not anti 4x4, both my parents in law drive them (shogun and Honda CRV) and I may or may not buy one in the future but none met my criteria when we last purchased our main car. Why pointing out that people could buy a British - European built 4x4 is "anti" I cannot understand.

I'm not twisting words of others, the fact is that sales of 4x4's are slowing as are luxury cars (

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Giovanni - Just read your responce to Lol re MPG and tyre wear.

Sorry but once again the myth rather than reality is being proposed by those with a twisted agenda.

MPG - dealt with elswhere

Tyre Wear - Large diameter tyre = less percentage road contact for the tyre "footprint" than for a smaller diameter tyre.

Proof of the pudding - A set of BF Goodrich Long Trails 237/70 on my Range Rover lasted over 70,000 miles - and this is not unusual.

Increased Tyre wear on a 4x4?? - "Tis a pigment of your invagination"
Clive,

I don't dispute your figures - do you run then at a certain pressure if the band was 30- 35 psi would you be at the top end of that? Or is that you car is on alloys or steel wheels?

If you could let us all know I believe it would be an important post. Waste tyres are one of the biggest issues any motorist faces regardless of drive train preference.

For me its run them at the highest pressure recommended and I know that Commercial Vehicles benefit from alloys with regards to tyre life as they run cooler best result out of a set - 80 K Michelin Energy's car - Renault Scenic diesel

Monkeys Husband

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Monkey; let me answer these one by one.

I misread your statement about buying European, I have read it again and due to my limited attention span still don't quite understand what you were driving (pardon the pun) at, but as you have explained it, let me too explain. I always tried to buy British before the need for a 4x4 came along. Was an Austin Rover man for years, I knew it supported our industry and I genuinely like the cars. When I needed an offroader there was no British or European equivalent, not when you added in the price factor. There still isn't and until the likes of Land Rover start dropping their prices I won't be able to afford them. However I sincerely apologise for getting confused about your stance on the subject, with so many Anti's posting and so few Pro's it's easy to become defensive.

4x4 sales are slowing down along with large executive cars as you say, in fact the overall trend in the UK is for decline, which is why your seeing more and more offers around, in fact the only real growth sector is the hybrid market but that is so small as to not matter to the general public at this time. Any vehicle that is oversupplied is going to loose it's value quickly, also any car that does not have the correct engine/ spec will devalue fast. I would rather loose 40% of

Sep 18, 2005
Visit site
Just read the savvy the CC mag on towcar of the year ............. what a load of codswallop, I reckon the testers were either drunk, on something or just plain idiots!

Every thing they said about the sorento went agains't what has been reported on in the sad car rags, namely that it has a poor ride, underpowered rough noisey engine, low rent interior and worst of all very poor steering with no feel at all.

My mate who owns one has, to combat the poor steering, replaced the steering wheel with a tiller as he said that as it handles like a boat it might as well have the same steering gear ............... by the way he said this mod has improved the steering (slightly) but you must get the red anodized version with go faster quick release jubilee clips to feel the full benefit.
Kanga - I am very much a 4x4 fan but have to agree with your comments about the Kia Sorento. I test drove one a few days back and it did steer like a boat with zero feel for the road. In 4 wheel drive its a bit better but not much. Still its low cost makes it good value if you can learn to live with it. I'll stick with my gas-guzelling Jeep.

Sep 11, 2006
Visit site
Monkey; let me answer these one by one.

I misread your statement about buying European, I have read it again and due to my limited attention span still don't quite understand what you were driving (pardon the pun) at, but as you have explained it, let me too explain. I always tried to buy British before the need for a 4x4 came along. Was an Austin Rover man for years, I knew it supported our industry and I genuinely like the cars. When I needed an offroader there was no British or European equivalent, not when you added in the price factor. There still isn't and until the likes of Land Rover start dropping their prices I won't be able to afford them. However I sincerely apologise for getting confused about your stance on the subject, with so many Anti's posting and so few Pro's it's easy to become defensive.

4x4 sales are slowing down along with large executive cars as you say, in fact the overall trend in the UK is for decline, which is why your seeing more and more offers around, in fact the only real growth sector is the hybrid market but that is so small as to not matter to the general public at this time. Any vehicle that is oversupplied is going to loose it's value quickly, also any car that does not have the correct engine/ spec will devalue fast. I would rather loose 40% of

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts