KIA SORENTO

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Klarky.

As I have just retired from the motor trade, I can assure you that I would rather have the vehicle recalled and fixed, than what usually happens with most manufactures IE: Put right when next in for service or only if the customer complains.My Sorento is 1yr old this month.I have put 13500 mile on the clock. 1 recall for ECU upgrade. Best tow car I have ever had.

Steve W
couldn't agree more

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately no, Klarky, you must have it mixed up with something else. Mine has been recalled just the once and when inspected, needed no further action as did the vast majority of those recalled.
The recalls that have been announced do not affect all cars but were:

a Earlier model gearbox problem could lead to movement when believed parked.

b. Alternator belt could fail prematurely

c. Brake pipe reroute

All have been managed efficiently and no accidents have been incurred

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
The Kia winning the best Towcar award in the caravan magazine is a bit of a false award.They only test cars that are new or have been updated thats why the Toureg v10 won it last and i believe the Kia was in that line up and it wasnt tested against bigger awd cars they tested on price
The Caravan Club magazine says that it also won the over 1800kg category too.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
The Kia winning the best Towcar award in the caravan magazine is a bit of a false award.They only test cars that are new or have been updated thats why the Toureg v10 won it last and i believe the Kia was in that line up and it wasnt tested against bigger awd cars they tested on price
The Caravan Club magazine says that it also won the over 1800kg category too.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Just read the savvy the CC mag on towcar of the year ............. what a load of codswallop, I reckon the testers were either drunk, on something or just plain idiots!

Every thing they said about the sorento went agains't what has been reported on in the sad car rags, namely that it has a poor ride, underpowered rough noisey engine, low rent interior and worst of all very poor steering with no feel at all.

My mate who owns one has, to combat the poor steering, replaced the steering wheel with a tiller as he said that as it handles like a boat it might as well have the same steering gear ............... by the way he said this mod has improved the steering (slightly) but you must get the red anodized version with go faster quick release jubilee clips to feel the full benefit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just read the savvy the CC mag on towcar of the year ............. what a load of codswallop, I reckon the testers were either drunk, on something or just plain idiots!

Every thing they said about the sorento went agains't what has been reported on in the sad car rags, namely that it has a poor ride, underpowered rough noisey engine, low rent interior and worst of all very poor steering with no feel at all.

My mate who owns one has, to combat the poor steering, replaced the steering wheel with a tiller as he said that as it handles like a boat it might as well have the same steering gear ............... by the way he said this mod has improved the steering (slightly) but you must get the red anodized version with go faster quick release jubilee clips to feel the full benefit.
Touch of the green eyed monster there, me thinks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You know you both want one, bet you two used to (probably still do) tug on the ponytails of the girls you liked! It's the same with cars, you lust after a Sorento, but it scares you too, go on admit it, it's cool to be in a Kia 8o)

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
wow what a debate.... but hate to bust any bubbles but..

i took up caravaning not just for the freedom to roam,but for

the lower costs of holidays as well.i believe that applies to a

large section of caravaners, whether you admit it or not.

so i must admit i envy those who can and do have the ability

to buy large expensive vehicles, with solely towing in mind,

for those few full weeks and some w/ends.

me i make do with my old vectra tdi est, worth around a grand,

which cost me 2k and has lasted me 3 years [only 1 year towing]

it does the job pretty well 32mpg being the norm for towing,

and when we get to our site and want to do some siteseeing,

there are no places i can think of where we have had any trouble

getting too.[ we tour italy and switzerland] nor for that matter

have we ever got in anybodies way, for whatever reason. which is

more than can be said these days as i notice more and more

gb plates on these huge vehicle causing havoc in old streets

and on tight hillclimbs.

i actually like driving, and believe that surely a large % must

enjoy it too. so will never ever understand this obssesion with

vehicles with truck like behaviour, 22mpg when towing[please

don't want to here any kia owners claiming 28mpg when towing,

unless you can prove the laws of physics wrong.]in an age when

we are trying to cut down on emmisions and fuel used, there is

no need what so ever for such vehicles[on the road] normal

saloon cars drive and handle better,and when a good diesel

engine is used have the power and use considerbly less fuel.

solo this advantage is even greater, and usually means you can

actually enjoy your driving again, without being a hindrence to

any one else.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh deary deary me!

The CC has dared to make a 4x4 - and a fair sized one at that "Tow Car of the year" - Does this fairminded organisation that is well respected by the VAST majority have its decision looked at in an reciprocaly fairminded way?

Yes by the majority - but No by a minority

Despite all the evidence to the contrary the brick-bats are hurled at the CC - my favourite - "what a load of codswallop, I reckon the testers were either drunk, on something or just plain idiots!"

Wow! - thats a fair minded assessment isnt it??!!

Followed by:-

"This (discount) will affect your resale value in 3 years i thought these were hard to get hold , if they are why are they offering price reductions to sell them ??"

Price discounting happens all over and it's a normal part of the Marketing Package. The Kia range is the fastest growing brand in the UK. It is doing very well in the US and in the EU as well. Good Value - Good Spec - Good Service.

BUT of course - the real problem is that the CC is unbiased when it comes to an AWD car - a FrontWD car or a RWD car.

They just look at the facts and feedback from the testers then add up the points and publish. For those who are on a mission this leaves only one course of action - Abuse and denigration of the testers objectivity.

A truly wonderful example of how not to "make friends and influence people".

Still, it IS a great laugh!! LOL

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
i too am a member of the cc, so i read with interest.

find it strange that whilst i am not a bmw fan, they did say

of one bm that baskets of running costs lost it loads of points

what a laugh running costs would rule out any large 4X4.

the other complaint was the suspension was hard,the car was a

530D M SPORTS TOURING, well they don't do soft suspension on

sports cars, and therefore the suspension was correct for what

it was designed for.

of the kia, they remarked more power would be usefull..?

so is it good or not, if it lacks power and they noticed it,

then surely this would be the biggest no.no. when they were

afterall talking about a towcar!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
I tow a twin axle caravan of 1650kg .Looking at the figures in the tow car of the year it would seem that following "best practice" guidelines the only vehicles suitable for this size van are 4x4's,pickups or a van based people carrier.I can understand why some would question the use of a large 4x4 to tow a small van but I would not question the Caravan Clubs results based on thier knowledge of this subject.....Brian.

Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
Ok discounting does happen , but why discount your product when everybody wants one discount or not

.All discounting does is affect the people who already have the product , if i bought a kia last month and found it cheaper by 2k this month would not be overimpressed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And would you say the same for a Ford, or an Audi or a VW? Too right I would feel pretty miffed if I bought one of these cars to find out they were discounted the next month. And before you ask, yes they all do it, with few exceptions. It is the nature of the market, some cars affected more than others, try selling a big petrol engined X5 after 3 years, then you will know what depresiation is. About as much as the cost of a new Sorento.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And would you say the same for a Ford, or an Audi or a VW? Too right I would feel pretty miffed if I bought one of these cars to find out they were discounted the next month. And before you ask, yes they all do it, with few exceptions. It is the nature of the market, some cars affected more than others, try selling a big petrol engined X5 after 3 years, then you will know what depresiation is. About as much as the cost of a new Sorento.
damn, got lazy and didn't spell check.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i too am a member of the cc, so i read with interest.

find it strange that whilst i am not a bmw fan, they did say

of one bm that baskets of running costs lost it loads of points

what a laugh running costs would rule out any large 4X4.

the other complaint was the suspension was hard,the car was a

530D M SPORTS TOURING, well they don't do soft suspension on

sports cars, and therefore the suspension was correct for what

it was designed for.

of the kia, they remarked more power would be usefull..?

so is it good or not, if it lacks power and they noticed it,

then surely this would be the biggest no.no. when they were

afterall talking about a towcar!
Why do running cost rule out a 4x4?

First major service

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts