KIA SORENTO

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lol - Re your answer several postings above - you are right -the so called high running costs of a 4x4 are a myth perpetuated by those with their own agenda.

A quick glance at the data confirms this and is born out by my own personal experience as well. Admittedly it was a Mercedes but a friend of mine had a service bill for a 3 year old Merc that was just over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Giovanni - Just read your responce to Lol re MPG and tyre wear.

Sorry but once again the myth rather than reality is being proposed by those with a twisted agenda.

MPG - dealt with elswhere

Tyre Wear - Large diameter tyre = less percentage road contact for the tyre "footprint" than for a smaller diameter tyre.

Proof of the pudding - A set of BF Goodrich Long Trails 237/70 on my Range Rover lasted over 70,000 miles - and this is not unusual.

Increased Tyre wear on a 4x4?? - "Tis a pigment of your invagination"

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
As the moderator in training, I am going to have ask you girls to stop hi-jacking this thread and post serious comments, just I have always done on this forum.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lol - Re your answer several postings above - you are right -the so called high running costs of a 4x4 are a myth perpetuated by those with their own agenda.

A quick glance at the data confirms this and is born out by my own personal experience as well. Admittedly it was a Mercedes but a friend of mine had a service bill for a 3 year old Merc that was just over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorry Kanga, thank you for pointing that out. All I can do is offer my sincere heartfelt apology, and perhaps the latest 4x4 mag. I try not to overstep the bounds of decency, but as a frail person, sometimes I get it wrong. You have managed to set me back on the path of righteousness and am obliged to support you in your endeavour to become chief Moderator. Hang on, there's a knock on the door...yes, I am he...no, the doctor said I didn't have to wear it....get your hands off me...hey those straps are tight!.....mmm, you sure these are M&M's?

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
4 bald tyres = 4x3points on licence = disqualification.
I was once told by a traffic cop that although you get 3 points per tyre only 3 of them counted towards the "toting up rule". Did he lie to me? perhaps our retired P C would put us straight (not that I would ever drive with worn tyres anyway)

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
If Kanga's a trainee mod then I quit the forum and after reading all your comments I would like to repeat my initial comments which were in 3 yaers time the market WILL be flooded with these Far East imports and who will laughing then? It wont be the current owners who have paid 20k plus for something that will be worth 12k if you are lucky. You can keep em

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If Kanga's a trainee mod then I quit the forum and after reading all your comments I would like to repeat my initial comments which were in 3 yaers time the market WILL be flooded with these Far East imports and who will laughing then? It wont be the current owners who have paid 20k plus for something that will be worth 12k if you are lucky. You can keep em
Hope mine is worth around 10 grand in three years, would mean I have only lost 7 and a half over 3 years, on a big 4x4 that's great can loose that in a year on a Merc or BMW.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
So the Kia's towcar of the year. I must have missed something; an organisation (CC) that sells and promotes financial services and recommends it's customer buy a car with one of fastest depreciation rates over two or three years that's responsible.

Both Cap and Glasses (trade price guides) have warned the following, Over supply leads to discounting, as does fad cars i.e. popular a one point and not two- five years later (soft top vitara's and MG convertibles being such) and cars with poor previous reputations suffer poor, if not slowly improving residuals for a long time (Skoda)

Also think of the environment buy a car made in the EU - Toureg & Cayenne -Germany, Land Rover this country, even the Chrysler Grand Cherokee is made in Austria it uses more fuel probably to get here than Kanga or Clive V say that a 4x4 uses in a year once on the road.

Finally Clive V as one of the respected voices on the forum engage the gray matter, any marquee that starts out with next to no sales and increases sales will be fast growing, when you sell under a 1000 units per year it's easy to get a substantial increase. Daimler Chrysler or BMW are doing well just to stay still.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So the Kia's towcar of the year. I must have missed something; an organisation (CC) that sells and promotes financial services and recommends it's customer buy a car with one of fastest depreciation rates over two or three years that's responsible.

Both Cap and Glasses (trade price guides) have warned the following, Over supply leads to discounting, as does fad cars i.e. popular a one point and not two- five years later (soft top vitara's and MG convertibles being such) and cars with poor previous reputations suffer poor, if not slowly improving residuals for a long time (Skoda)

Also think of the environment buy a car made in the EU - Toureg & Cayenne -Germany, Land Rover this country, even the Chrysler Grand Cherokee is made in Austria it uses more fuel probably to get here than Kanga or Clive V say that a 4x4 uses in a year once on the road.

Finally Clive V as one of the respected voices on the forum engage the gray matter, any marquee that starts out with next to no sales and increases sales will be fast growing, when you sell under a 1000 units per year it's easy to get a substantial increase. Daimler Chrysler or BMW are doing well just to stay still.
Nice start, you had me there for a second, until I realised your talking about generalisations. Typical of the anti 4x4 brigade you try to twist the innocent words of others. Try to be more precise when you post, it will give us something to truly debate.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
response to clive v.

running costs, you mention your range rover doing 70k on a set

of tyres,so is the kia wearing the same tyres, if not why the

comparison, although i must say 70,000 miles on a set of tyres

is quite remarkable,unless you drive at 20mph everywhere.

mpg. yes you mentioned it and whatever figure you claim, does

your manual back you up? never the less 4wd takes 15/20% more

power, so it uses more fuel to drive,so whatever your figure

a 2wd car with the same power, would be 10/15% more economical.

then theres the shape[ kia looks ok ] but the shape of these

taller vehicles means they have higher drags, leading to atleast

5/10% more fuel usage.

so even if your mpg claims are correct, a modern saloon would be

anywhere between 15 to 25% better on fuel. thats running costs

and no myths involved.

sometimes wish people would not try to justify their purchases.

if you like it then ok, thats enough, but don't try to justify

it certainly not based on running costs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
response to clive v.

running costs, you mention your range rover doing 70k on a set

of tyres,so is the kia wearing the same tyres, if not why the

comparison, although i must say 70,000 miles on a set of tyres

is quite remarkable,unless you drive at 20mph everywhere.

mpg. yes you mentioned it and whatever figure you claim, does

your manual back you up? never the less 4wd takes 15/20% more

power, so it uses more fuel to drive,so whatever your figure

a 2wd car with the same power, would be 10/15% more economical.

then theres the shape[ kia looks ok ] but the shape of these

taller vehicles means they have higher drags, leading to atleast

5/10% more fuel usage.

so even if your mpg claims are correct, a modern saloon would be

anywhere between 15 to 25% better on fuel. thats running costs

and no myths involved.

sometimes wish people would not try to justify their purchases.

if you like it then ok, thats enough, but don't try to justify

it certainly not based on running costs.
No one has ever said that it was cheap to run a 4x4; only that it was not as expensive as the "Anti's" are saying. They do have to lug around more hardware with them, which does make them heavier, so fuel is used at a greater rate, but it is still not that bad. The same could be said for a 3-litre BMW, Mercedes or any other luxury car. They all use more fuel than is necessary to get from A to B. The thing is, what with this being a caravan forum, the bigger and heavier a car is, the better and safer it is to tow with.

As for the Sorento using the same tyres as Clive RR, it is unlikely. Tyre wear depends on the type of usage and the makeup of the tyre, if Clive can get 70.000 out of his tyres I won't disbelieve him, having seen some of the more expensive off road tyres and their tread depth.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Nice start, you had me there for a second, until I realised your talking about generalisations. Typical of the anti 4x4 brigade you try to twist the innocent words of others. Try to be more precise when you post, it will give us something to truly debate.
Lol,

I'm not anti 4x4, both my parents in law drive them (shogun and Honda CRV) and I may or may not buy one in the future but none met my criteria when we last purchased our main car. Why pointing out that people could buy a British - European built 4x4 is "anti" I cannot understand.

I'm not twisting words of others, the fact is that sales of 4x4's are slowing as are luxury cars (

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts