Kia Sportage 2 Crdi 1.6 diesel auto

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Buckman, please see pics Iā€™ve attached below? Thanks
Thatā€™s just an example car payload given by Towcar.info. Your car is governed by its Gross Vehicle Weight which is shown on the label normally in the engine bay or sometimes on a B pillar. This is a legal maximum. The V5 will have some information too. Basically your cars payload will be GVW - kerbweight which will be more than 200 kg. But to answer your question, yes noseweight on the towball will be part of the cars GVW and affect the loading on the axle(s). But the Tiguan is designed for towing and has a good reputation. In 2017 one almost the same as your was class winner in Towcar of the Year Awards. See my earlier post. Iā€™ve never had a car where I felt I was pushing the GVW too close. Take a normal five seater group C car with driver and four passengers plus luggage. The average weight used per person is 75 kg. So the four passengers (ex driver) add 300 kg then thereā€™s the luggage too . Wow wish I was average weight again. šŸ˜‚

It does seem a complex set of decisions when first starting out. The internet can be an aid or a hassle. When I first started out I just went to look at a caravan and turned up in a Skoda Estelle, certainly not a tow car. The dealer didnā€™t bat an eyelid about the cars ability to tow a caravan. No duty of care etc in those days. You are heading in the right direction with what will be a very nice outfit.

This may help understand what is as you say a somewhat confusing subject. But in the Towcar of The Year Award that Tiguan kerbweight was 1723 kg. So knowing GVW gives the cars full load capabilty including fuel, passengers, luggage, noseload etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gemlou, my caravan has a stated payload of 155kg, after the battery, gas bottles, 1 sometimes 2, the motor mover, 2 aqua rolls the waste carrier , all the pots and pans kettle plates Knifes and forks for 4, etc we end up with a usable payload of about 50 kg.
This is enough for a 6 week jaunt around France. So don't worry too much.

The Tiguan on the door post will have a gross weight somewhere. Not the Gross Train Weight. Normally the label will have two figures, ( example, say 1000 and 1100kg) added together 2100 kg ) this would be the gross axle weights, so take your kerb weight from that number and that will give you your payload.

Example again, 1000 kg plus 1100 kg, gives gross weight 2100kg minus 1625( kerb weight) gives payload of 475 kg

Your caravans nose weight will transfer to the car, so if your caravan has 75 kg, this will come out of the cars payload.

Clear as Mud eh.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to extend Hutchā€™s good advice my last caravan had 196kg payload and the car was a Subaru Forester of similar size and weight to your Tiguan. We took two springers plus a mid teens granddaughter away all times of the year and never felt we had compromised our caravanning lifestyle at all. What we did do was have numerous spreadsheets for various types of trip and everything was weighed and we were pretty disciplined in nit adding ā€œ nice to havesā€™ which can creep up unnoticed.
Some yesteryear trips to France there was a full size awning, Lafumas, directors chairs, 15 kg of Chudleys and a couple of training weights. But because it was always sunny clothes were minimised. Mind you that caravan had a weight upgrade that effectively cancelled out battery and mover weights, and the car had a good capabilty.

100_0493.jpeg

Jun 29, 2024
Visit site
Gemlou, my caravan has a stated payload of 155kg, after the battery, gas bottles, 1 sometimes 2, the motor mover, 2 aqua rolls the waste carrier , all the pots and pans kettle plates Knifes and forks for 4, etc we end up with a usable payload of about 50 kg.
This is enough for a 6 week jaunt around France. So don't worry too much.

The Tiguan on the door post will have a gross weight somewhere. Not the Gross Train Weight. Normally the label will have two figures, ( example, say 1000 and 1100kg) added together 2100 kg ) this would be the gross axle weights, so take your kerb weight from that number and that will give you your payload.

Example again, 1000 kg plus 1100 kg, gives gross weight 2100kg minus 1625( kerb weight) gives payload of 475 kg

Your caravans nose weight will transfer to the car, so if your caravan has 75 kg, this will come out of the cars payload.

Clear as Mud eh.
Thank you the car dealer just said that the kerb weight of car is 1605kg and the GVW is 2330 k, I was going by 200kg payload on both caravan and car to try keep it at 85% -89% kerb weight, is that right please? Weā€™re just off to see the car now

Attachments

• IMG_2048.png
    IMG_2048.png
    484.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2049.png
    IMG_2049.png
    306.6 KB · Views: 7
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you the car dealer just said that the kerb weight of car is 1605kg and the GVW is 2330 k, I was going by 200kg payload on both caravan and car to try keep it at 85% -89% kerb weight, is that right please? Weā€™re just off to see the car now
The car doesnā€™t need to be restricted to 85%-89%. Forget it as itā€™s not relevant once load is put in. The minute you start to load the car the weight increases which immediately goes away from the 85% guide for the outfit. You are getting unnecessarily anxious. You cannot keep each part at 85% itā€™s impossible as putting weight in the car changes ( and improved) everything. Forget the 200kg in Towcar. Info as itā€™s only relevant to that matching calculation.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With a 200kg payload that means with 5 passengers you cannot even put fuel in the car which is why i think the car payload is probably about 500kg if that makes sense.

When we came back from S Devon in a rental, it was stacked to the top with all out gear and I am sure it was well over 200kg. We were really impressed with the car handling etc. Now I got to persuade OH not to trade 1996 in the Corolla for a Tiguan. LOL!

I think you are making the correct decision for a great tow car that is more than capable of towing the caravan. Make sure that it has a full service history with none missing.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With a 200kg payload that means with 5 passengers you cannot even put fuel in the car which is why i think the car payload is probably about 500kg if that makes sense.

When we came back from S Devon in a rental, it was stacked to the top with all out gear and I am sure it was well over 200kg. We were really impressed with the car handling etc. Now I got to persuade OH not to trade 1996 in the Corolla for a Tiguan. LOL!

I think you are making the correct decision for a great tow car that is more than capable of towing the caravan. Make sure that it has a full service history with none missing.
At average weight of 75kg itā€™s only driver plus two. :fearscream:

The OP hasnā€™t really understood the Towcar.info calculation as it allows the user to make changes to payload for car and caravan plus variations to noseweight too. But if you insert figures above the car or caravan maxima you get a positive warning.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
2200kg kerb weight seems rather high for that size of vehicle, not far short of a Disco :oops:
That 2200kg figure for kerbweight has been overtaken. But I do think the dealers kerbweight of 1605 kg is light as itā€™s a top spec car with 4wd and auto box. In the TCOY award winning Tiguan the kerbweight was given as 1723kg which is nearer what most info sites seem to give. But even if the dealers figure is too low and the car is heavier it works in the OPs favour and it would still have a decent loading capacity.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Why wouldnā€™t you want to weigh everything before the first trip, and not after the first couple of trips.
Takes a few trips to figure out what you need and don't need. Empty caravan once year isn't bad idea as extras items seem to sneak in over time. I was amazed at how much stuff removed from last caravan before selling it.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Takes a few trips to figure out what you need and don't need. Empty caravan once year isn't bad idea as extras items seem to sneak in over time. I was amazed at how much stuff removed from last caravan before selling it.
When we did an exchange on the dealer's forecourt a few years ago, we thought 30 minutes tops no problem. Over an hour later we were still shifting stuff! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS