La Bien-Assise - Calais

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ideal for ferry and last minute supermarche shopping. Also has a superb restaurant if you fancy treating yourself to a final gourmet treat - but you have to book since it seems to be full of locals; a good sign.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Nice site, we've stopped a few times. Around 20-25 minutes to the ferry, probably a little less for the tunnel. Its got a basic shop, the restauarant is also fine. The highlight for my kids is always the pool, which is mainly outdoors but fairly well sheltered. The only downside is that it can be busy and/or full at peak times.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi Jill - just returned home from France where i spent the final, and very wet, 4 nights at Bien Assisse where we have stayed previously. A lot of the pitches are currently quite sodden due to an extreme ammount of rain recently, so if going soon beware! The site itself is quite pleasant with generous pitches and good clean facilities.

The restaurant is good but not - in my opinion - as good as a few years ago (change of ownership). Be prepared to pay (95 Euro for 2 persons). easy access for cross channel links.

Enjoy.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jill,

We also used this as a stopover on the way and coming back from the Loire this year.

I think it is an ideal place to stay, very pleasent site and helpful staff. Alot of people use this just for one night as we did. Once we had un hitched we went to the Auchan the supermarket about 10 minutes drive to diesel up and to buy the essentials.

I would certainly do this stopover again

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were there a week ago, our first visit for about 6 years. We usually stay at Chateau de Gandspette but as we were coming from the west that would have been out of our way. Maybe the sunshine helped but I was quite please we had returned to Le Bien Assise. Pitches are of a good size with nice schrubs around them. The toilet blocks have been improved since our last visit. We also had a meal in La Ferme Gourmande which is not really a campsite restaurant but it does share the same Chateau! It is a bit expensive, it cost us

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Stayed at the site last Sunday, arriving mid-afternoon. Reception was closed, with a note on the door stating in French "go to the big house at the end of the drive....". So we did, spoke with the lady of the house who advised us to choose a pitch and also which toilet block to use. Fine - we then expected someone later either to open reception or call at our pitch (we seemed to be the only outfit there. Neither happened, so as we had to leave early for a ferry, I securely left a letter outside reception asking them to phone/write/email me with details of how much we owed for the one night. Nothing heard so far........

Lovely big pitches and even after a night of absolutely torrential downpours (+ thunder storms, high winds etc), the pitch was not waterlogged. Mind you, we didn't get much sleep :(

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
Jill we stayed there for 2 weeks in july and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We didnt go to the restaurant as some of our party said it wasnt up to much and it was a pricey. It has a good pool with slide, a little shop where you order your daily bread and croissants. A play area for kids, i would book though as when one party leaves another soon arrives. Good for shopping into Calais and Cite L'Europe and it also has a designer outlet.

Yvonne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have stayed there a couple of times

The CC did a trip through the tunnel with nights at Bien Assize when the tunnel first opened and its been featured on Top Gear or similar prog .

St Joseph's village is well worth a visit.

You can't miss the signs to it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts