La Ravoire, Doussard, Annecy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks - anyone been to this campsite, and obviously any feedback would be appreciated. I have been told that the site is OK but access around the area a little problematic in July/August. I have a largish single axle van, so pitch size also important.

Thanks in advance

John

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

We have booked 2 1/2 weeks at La Ravoir for July / August. I searched the Annecy area on this forum as well as a couple of other forums last year. We have 2 young children (4 and 6) so wanted somewhere with a pool, close to the lake and quiet-ish. At first we were looking at camping Europa but this seems to be very large and gets quite noisy as well as being quite close to the main road which also gives a lot of noise.

From the 10 odd sites we were looking at we decided on La Ravoir because it is a quiet site with no Discos or entertainment. Its also the bottom end of the lake, so ideal for exploring the rest of the Alpes. The road that skirts along side the lake does get very busy in the summer (weve been down a few times to watch the Tour de France)though it does seem to keep moving. This site is also far enough from the road not to be disturbed by it.

The local village of Doussard is OK with a couple of nice Cafes etc. The cycle track that runs around the entire lake is also very close.

Let me know what you decide, and if I can answer any further questions just ask.

Regards for now,

Litespeed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks litespeed.

I have almost settled on the site, its just the hassle of getting around when down there that concerns me. I am told Annecy is quite often a nightmare and that the road does become very busy at times. I will ponder for a little while. Bye the way, I'm only thinking of going in summer 2008, but have also been told that this campsite gets booked quickly so am considering booking in 2007 for next year.

John

May 10, 2006
Visit site
John

Like Litespeed we are booked in for end of July and start of August, for two and half weeks. We went there last year. It was our first time abroad and we loved it. The site is great, the location superb and the staff really helpful. Annecy is busy, but we went through at about noon and had no problems. I posted on the forum about the site last year. Go for it :)

Litespeed you say you went to see Le Tour - are you a keen cyclist? I did some fantastic rides last year, but now I want to venture away from the lake and surrounding cols. Do you know of any decent rides from the site? I tend to do 2-3ours a day, but did a couple of 5 hour rides last year. Look forward to hearing from you.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sean,

Cycling is the main reason for heading for the Alpes!!

I cycle 5 - 6 days a week, every week summer or winter, whatever the weather or temperature.

I was out at 6.30am today and cycled the north coast road in Cornwall (Very Hilly) down as far as Penzance then up through the middle and more hills back to home. About 73 miles at an average of 18.5mph.

I know loads of good routes around the Alpes / Annecy area. It looks like we are there the same time as you so we'll have to meet up for a spin! It will be our first time at this site but certainly not the first time in the Alpes. Have you rode any of the hills / cols yet??? If not I cannot begin to say how hard they are, I am planning to ride the Col de Galibier this year, 2600 meters, then down to Bourg D'oisans to meet the wife and kids for lunch!

My wife also cycles (not as much, but loves getting out asoften as possible)as does our 6 year old, ive just bought him a 16 speed full on road race bike!....I love all things cycling, a life long obsession, even my log in name 'Litespeed' is named after the make of bike I ride.

Let me know what you do....

Simon (Litespeed)

May 10, 2006
Visit site
Hi Sean,

Cycling is the main reason for heading for the Alpes!!

I cycle 5 - 6 days a week, every week summer or winter, whatever the weather or temperature.

I was out at 6.30am today and cycled the north coast road in Cornwall (Very Hilly) down as far as Penzance then up through the middle and more hills back to home. About 73 miles at an average of 18.5mph.

I know loads of good routes around the Alpes / Annecy area. It looks like we are there the same time as you so we'll have to meet up for a spin! It will be our first time at this site but certainly not the first time in the Alpes. Have you rode any of the hills / cols yet??? If not I cannot begin to say how hard they are, I am planning to ride the Col de Galibier this year, 2600 meters, then down to Bourg D'oisans to meet the wife and kids for lunch!

My wife also cycles (not as much, but loves getting out asoften as possible)as does our 6 year old, ive just bought him a 16 speed full on road race bike!....I love all things cycling, a life long obsession, even my log in name 'Litespeed' is named after the make of bike I ride.

Let me know what you do....

Simon (Litespeed)
Hi Litespeed.

Guessed you were interested by the name. Yeah I do about 200-250 miles a week. I race at first cat level for Interbike RT. I am based up in Cambridgeshire. I have been to the Bourg D'oisan area 4 times and ridden all the Cols, there are some fantastic lesser know rides up that way as well. I rode the Galibier a couple of yeas ago from Bourg D'oisan - it was amazing riding through the snow!!! I managed a short 54 on the Alp, but I was going well then.

Sounds like you had a good ride today. I rode the Fred Whitton Challenge last weekend up in the lakes - vey tough, but managed 6.42 for the 114 miles. If you email me at sean_sumner@lineone.net we can see if our visits coincide.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sean

PS You'll love the site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts