Lack of 12v at fridge

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
I have 12v at the fuse box in the caravan with the car engine running, so as it should be but the fridge will not work. I am told it could be the 12v heating element but am also told these do not fail! I have also been told it will cost a packet to replace, is it that difficult and can it be done without taking the fridge out so long as the element can be identified. Assuming that is the problem. Fridge works fine on gas and electric
Advice appreciated
Regards Kenny

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
12v is not enough to work the fridge , it will only start when the voltage is 14v from the car.

As for the 12v element not failing,,,,,,,,,,YES they do, though not often as most people do not run the fridge on 12v for short journeys.

As for changing the element, if it is faulty, it depends on access to the element whether or not the fridge has to come out.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Kenny .Following on from Damian who is absolutely correct in what he says .The tip here is if you want to run your fridge while mobile ie on you journey to holiday destination then connect up your fridge to the mains over night and your tow vehicle will just keep it topped up.otherwise on site electric you pay for it or of course gas.

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Guys thanks, I get the point about it being more than 12v, it actually reads 13.84 on the AVO. I should have said DC. What i should also have alluded to is that I have been caravanning near on 25 years so know about electric etc but have never heard of a 12v element going on a fridge, hence why I asked. I have never met anyone who does not run a fridge on DC when travelling either unless they didn't have the choice of course. I guess it can only be the element really then which I will have to identify one way or the other, hopefully replaceable without removing the fridge otherwise a professional will make some easy money :(
Thanks again
Regards kenny

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " the 240v one will have three wire's LNE
"

Not quite correct, the 240v element does have 3 wires but they are 2 x Line (Brown) 1x E (Yellow/Green)

Both elements have the voltage and wattage stamped on the outer wire covers so they are easy to identify.

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Kenny. Even though we tow an Eccles, it is a Topaz and I'm not sure how much access there is to the fridge workings compared to your unit. However, a couple of caravans ago we had a little Elddis Whirlwind and I managed to replace the mains element without removing the unit. I unscrewed it and moved it forward as far as possible given the constraints of the gas pipe and with both the external vents removed I just managed to get enough working room.
HTH; also please see my last post with regard to the relay - worth a look!!
Pete

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Pete, I had the grills off last week and there was a fair bit of room in there but didn't know what to look for, now I do I will have another look this weekend. Here's hoping!

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Took the outside grills off and could not see anything that looked like the element, what I did find were two cables marked 'nur fur 12v' which I traced back to a connector. Both cables disappeared into the fridge at the top right side so still none the wiser with regards to identifying the element (should I try and add some photos for you gurus) :)
Big thanks
Regards Kenny

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I've just replaced the 240 element on my fridge and I took the fridge out ...only took about 20-30 mins to get it out then identified which element it was took it of and ordered a new 1 of the net.mine had access vents on the outside if you wanted to try and do it though a hole about 15"x6" hole. !

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I can't even identify it, and there is the reconnection of gas pipes if the fridge comes out, not a job I would take on purely from a safety point of view

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The heating elements are very easy to identify if you know what you are looking for.
They are located above the gas burner in the side of the chimney and the cables run up behind the cooling matrix.to the top of the fridge and on to the connections behind the fascia.

You have spent so much time getting nowhere surely it would be quicker and easier to get a mobile engineer to look at it.

Getting the correct heater is very important .

It should take no more than 30 minutes to change an element if you have access through the vents, about an hour if the fridge has to come out, but if taken out it MUST be refitted correctly and the sealing correctly installed to prevent Carbon Monoxide entering the van

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts