Ladder or platform for cleaning

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, i want to get a ladder platform of some description for cleaning the van roof, does anyone use one?.....if so, which ones are high enough and stable enough to do the job?

Kind regards Andrew.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Think you need to be a bit careful here, Some van roofs (most I Beleive) will not take the weight of a person on it.
Dont recommend a ladder as you will crush the awning rail (done that)
Does your van have the bigger roof light so you can have steps inside the van and poke your head out with the long wash pole/brush.
Good sturdy steps on firm level ground are ok, but dont over reach.
Cant comment on the platform as I have no experiance of them.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
when i used to use a ladder , i would buy some pipe insulation from a diy store and place it on each side of the ladder sides to cushion it , and use a long car cleaning brush , but now its parked alongside the garage so i stand on the garage roof to clean the roof

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
the roofs may take the weight , but be extremely carefull , a wet slippery surface at 8 feet can be deadly , there are no guard rails around a van , wear shoes with reall good grip

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Coachman do take that weight, and of course those new bailey's
Yep you are right martin,
My Fleetwood also takes the weight, but as Joeby has said it's mighty good fun staying up there.
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I use a multipurpose ladder that folds in 3 places and allows you to have a long platform about 4ft off the ground. It came with plates to make the horrizontal surface comfortable and safe. With this I can clean the roof easily. (I'm 5ft 10)
Also useful for pruning high shrubs.
It is like this but I can not remember where I bought it from on the net.

http://www.safariquip.co.uk/index.html

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I use a 9 rung step ladder held by SWMBO. Standing on the top step I can reach across the roof and nearly touch the middle.
The problem with steps and platforms is the tendency for the person to lean which forces the ladder / platform off balance.
I have considered using a duckboard but haven't incase I damage the roof side sealed joints.
Martin is right about Bailey's but I suspect they have all been very careful where their weights are loaded. I can't see the roof being very strong next to a large skylight or other opening.
I also have one of those extendable brush / hose things which is pretty good.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I have looked at this and I am not sure about the security of this. OK anyone can look at the pics of my ladder, but other photos I might want to share with one friend only

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
I have been watching this post with interst - I work in insurance. The commercial sort where employers are insured as regards acciedents involving employees. The most common types of accident is a fall from height - and these are guys who do this sort of thing for a living - but perhaps they just take risks..! So:
  • Personally I wouldn't use a ladder leaning against van - to worried about damage. But reality is that they are difficult to hold steady - nowhere to tie them off at the top to prevent slipping, especially on the sloping roofline of some vans
  • If using a stepladder do not stand on the top step/platform
  • Get someone to foot the ladders or step ladders - i.e. hold them steady
  • Do not place step ladders parallel to the van - the steps should face the van. Tendency is that your "efforts" will push them away from the van as a previosu poster has indicated
    I know that means you can't reach the van - tough!
  • Perhaps better to use some form of platform as previous posters have suggested
    But they are generally used "parallel" to the van and can be as unstable as stepladders
  • There is no ideal soultion (unless one has a roof terrace..!) so whatever one does do be careful!

There is lots of useful information on the Health and Safety Executive website - just Google HSE/Work at Height
Phil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s no way I’m looking at an “elf & safety” website! It will probably say I shouldn’t use my steps to enter the caravan unless they’re fitted with a handrail, securely anchored down and that I’m “ladder trained”.
smiley-wink.gif

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Simple
Use an ordinary ladder lash or fix a piece of 2x2 so it just rests under the awning rail when at the reqd angle of repose making sure it 6" longer than the width of the ladder on either side which displaces any point loads on the structure of the van.. cover the the 2x2 with protective padding so it wont scratch the van such as carpet or under lay

With a rope level with the 2x2 take a half turn hitch leading at an angle of 45degrees knock a peg in the ground on either side of your van and secure the rope to the peg , Knock in a steel peg at the foot of the ladder against the bottom rung to stop it skipping and you can prick about all day up the ladder without any assistance whatsosover knowing that the ladder isnt going anywhere.
Whats hard about that.
If you need to adjust it as you work along the van either lengthen or shorten the A frame securing rope
smiley-tongue-out.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts