Lake Garda Italy.

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Nigel,

The short answer is no. I haven't towed along the west coast of Lake Garda, at least no further North than San Felice del Benarco.

The longer one is, no I wouldn't because it was interesting enough solo and because the easter road is better for caravans. Don't get me wrong, it is not one of those "you couldn't fit a caravan along there" of roads; it is just (between Gargnano and Riva Del Garda) bendy, riddled with tunnels that have bends (and junctions in them) and often has something big, such as the local bus, coming down the middle of the road at you. But, it is indeed a bus route so there is actually no technical problem in fitting a car and caravan on it. I would use it if I had to.

The Eastern side has a much better road for making progress, inless you are there in the height of season when there can be quite a few holdups for sheer volume of traffic.

If you are in the area, it is a very pleasant drive solo, with some stunning views of the lake.

Cheers

Mike A

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I towed up that road the first time we went there back in 1997. It is as described in Mike's post, but it's OK if you take care. If you're at the bottom of the lake with an easy choice, then use the East side, but, if like we were, you are sited somewhere up the West side, then personally I wouldn't do all the extra miles just to avoid it. If you really want to see hairy roads in the Italian lakes, tow along the road from Lugano to Lake Como!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts