legal towing weights

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Can someone help me with how the law stands on towing limits we are just about to buy a caravan and have been told we cannot tow anything that ways more than my car, on the other hand the max tow wieght in my hand book is more than my cars wieght help please. very confused. franklin

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It depends on when you passed your driving test. If you passed your test before the 1st January 1997 you may tow more than the kerbweight of your car. If you passed your test after that date, you would need a category B+E licence.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

That's a complicated question, and a good part of the answer is "it depends".

1. When did you pass your driving test? Before 1997 or after?

2. And does your driving licence have a B+E entitlement?

Basically if you passed your driving test before 1997 you can tow up to the placarded weight limits on the car VIN plate / owners handbook. After that date you are restricted to 100% unless you took an additional test.

However, the placarded maximum tow weight in the car handbook is the maximum permissible for a low loading trailer and not a caravan where aero-dynamic effects and a higher centre of gravity are important stability factors.

The (safe) recommendation from years of accumulated experience is that you don't tow a caravan weighing more than 85% of the car kerb-weight, unless you have a history of towing experience when 100% of the car kerb-weight is a sensible maximum limit.

Robert

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

That's a complicated question, and a good part of the answer is "it depends".

1. When did you pass your driving test? Before 1997 or after?

2. And does your driving licence have a B+E entitlement?

Basically if you passed your driving test before 1997 you can tow up to the placarded weight limits on the car VIN plate / owners handbook. After that date you are restricted to 100% unless you took an additional test.

However, the placarded maximum tow weight in the car handbook is the maximum permissible for a low loading trailer and not a caravan where aero-dynamic effects and a higher centre of gravity are important stability factors.

The (safe) recommendation from years of accumulated experience is that you don't tow a caravan weighing more than 85% of the car kerb-weight, unless you have a history of towing experience when 100% of the car kerb-weight is a sensible maximum limit.

Robert
thanks for all your advise

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts