Lithium ion batteries

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
Got myself a lithium ion batterie for our mover and wondered if anyone has any concerns about using lithium ion batteries in their caravan or know of and previous issues?
We’ve seen what a Samsung phone looks like when it blows I’d hate to think what a 30AH would do. Mines got its own batterie management system built in and I use a lithium ion charger. I was told as the batterie has its own management system I could use any charger but I thought I’d stay on the safe side.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Newdur said:
Got myself a lithium ion batterie for our mover and wondered if anyone has any concerns about using lithium ion batteries in their caravan or know of and previous issues?
We’ve seen what a Samsung phone looks like when it blows I’d hate to think what a 30AH would do. Mines got its own batterie management system built in and I use a lithium ion charger. I was told as the batterie has its own management system I could use any charger but I thought I’d stay on the safe side.

Why do you consider this modification worthwhile?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lithium Iron batteries do have a better power density than lead Acid, and that also translates into a lower weight, which can of course be huge advantage to a caravanner, but currently the cost does seem prohibitive, but costs are falling.

I'm sure Newdur has his reasons, and without more information from the OP I could only second guess what they might be.

I am pretty confident that we will see a new battery type reaching caravans, either offering lighter weight or greater capacity in the not to distant future.

In the other recent thread, the concept of using a battery on the caravan to power its own road wheels to help when towing. There would have to be change in the construction and use regulations to allow such a system to operate in the UK., but it is an example of new thinking, and the potential ability to make use of that battery at home is quite interesting.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If the fire service get called to a battery car on fire they just stand back and let it burn. Lithium, when burning, generates oxygen so the fire is self-fed and near impossible to extinguish.

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
Newdur said:

Modification? I’m adding a mover and need a power source.

Why lithium ion, size and weight. What would be 20kg AGM batterie is a 5kg Lithium ion Batterie. Because of the internal managment system the Batterie can’t be damaged if drained. Can be left all year round in the caravan with no issues or draining to worry about. Plus they only cost me the price of a crate of beer.
Being based on the continent most vans don’t come delivered or supplied with off grid capability’s as 99.9% of our CS have hook up, so this is just for the mover and maybe the toilet for road side stops.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Newdur said:
Dodger524 said:
Newdur said:

Modification? I’m adding a mover and need a power source.

Why lithium ion, size and weight. What would be 20kg AGM batterie is a 5kg Lithium ion Batterie. Because of the internal managment system the Batterie can’t be damaged if drained. Can be left all year round in the caravan with no issues or draining to worry about. Plus they only cost me the price of a crate of beer.
Being based on the continent most vans don’t come delivered or supplied with off grid capability’s as 99.9% of our CS have hook up, so this is just for the mover and maybe the toilet for road side stops.

Could I ask what the size, weight and price were as it may be a view of the future.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I looked at this prices vary from £100 for a 30amh to 1200 for a 250 amh. But its totally confusing . I THINK there are a lot of scams coming around, the weight "loss" is fantastic down from maybe 25 kg to 6 kg. Ideal for payloads.

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I looked at this prices vary from £100 for a 30amh to 1200 for a 250 amh. But its totally confusing . I THINK there are a lot of scams coming around, the weight "loss" is fantastic down from maybe 25 kg to 6 kg. Ideal for payloads.

Them prices are way off. Currently a caravan specific 20AH lit ion from Enduro movers costs around 350€ That’s with integrated charger and about 4kg.
As a rule a stand alone Lit ion will cost between 100/150£ per 10AH.

But what you have to remember is you can use a lot more of that AH than you can with a Gel or AGM batterie. I think the batterie management systems in lit ion usually cut of at 10v. You can easily get 80-90% of the AH from a lit ion compared to 50-60% from lead acid.

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Given the cost of these, if they become more common place we'll have a rash of battery locker thefts..
No reason to keep it in the battery locker. Considering the UK is the only EU country that still has battery lockers, lithium ion batteries could help eradicate this age old practice

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Newdur said:
chrisn7 said:
Given the cost of these, if they become more common place we'll have a rash of battery locker thefts..
No reason to keep it in the battery locker. Considering the UK is the only EU country that still has battery lockers, lithium ion batteries could help eradicate this age old practice

There has always been a considerable difference in the way UK caravanner's and many other EU countries use their caravans. In the UK there has been a long tradition of caravanning where 12V power was desirable, which has not been shared to the same degree elsewhere. The continental approach general to be for caravans pitched seasonally with a mains hook up to provide power. We are seeing some move towards this pattern in the UK but it's a long way from being the norm, and at least one caravan manufacturer got their fingers burnt a few years ago by trying to offer a caravan without 12V systems.

With the advent of the caravan mover, the only practical powered source was 12V battery, so there will be need for a battery of some sort for a long time to come.

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
Hi Profjohnl
In general that’s true but with the advent of cheaper and reliable photovoltaics more and more people are going the Autark route. All the vans I’ve seen over here are all 12v and like mine are all sold with switching power unit so you only need to add a batterie. that being said the autark packet for my Knaus was about 2.2k if I’d ordered it. Maybe that’s the reason that it’s not taken off here.

Why do the UK Vans still get made with batterie compartments? I can’t imagine anyone using anything other than Gel or AGM so gassing is not an issue anymore, is it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Newdur said:
... more people are going the Autark route. ....Why do the UK Vans still get made with batterie compartments? I can’t imagine anyone using anything other than Gel or AGM so gassing is not an issue anymore, is it?

I don't know what an "Autark" is I can only imagine.

Almost any kind of wet chemical battery has the capability to gas, if the wrong charging regime is used, so just as a practical measure having a room sealed battery compartment is a good idea. It doesn't have to have an external door, just appropriate ventilation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts