Living on holiday parks

Jan 9, 2006
Visit site
I have a lodge on a small park with other lodges and static caravans, but several people live on the site, despite it being licensed for holiday use only. This year's water rates have more than doubled, based on the fact that consumption rose last year when more residents moved in. The site meter reading has been split evenly between everyone. IS IT ME!? Surely we "holiday-makers" shouldn't be "subbing" RESIDENTS' use - especially when they shouldn't be there 24/7? Neither the BH&HPA nor the NCC can advise as they exist solely for the park owners - is there ANY legal advice for the customers?

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Michael, my parents looked in to buying a park home and where adviced by most sites that they could reside for a maximum of 48 weeks per year, it did not matter when they where off site they just had to leave the park home for 4 weeks out of 52. some sites where classed as residential and they could have stayed on these site permanently but would have been subject to council tax which is why most people choose a holiday park and then go abroad for 4 weeks in winter which is what my parents where going to do untill they came to theire senses and decided to keep the house which having seen the depreciation on statics i'm glad they did.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Michael, a lot depends on what licence the park has, whether it is a "Holiday Park" or Permanent residence.

If its a holiday site, then the owner can do , and charge , anything he wants to, any time he wants to, and the users of such sites have to either pay up, or move away.

There is some more regulation with Permanent Residence sites, but I think you will still find, in the small print, that owners can alter charges for services to suit coditions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Michael A lot of people at retirement age rent out their permanent home and buy a holiday van or lodge on a park where they live during spring summer and autumn .Then of to Spain /Greece/Cyprus etc etc for the winter ..This is one of the few pleasures /perks/sill left to us normal folk So dont complain /join them Coljac

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If the site is licensed for holiday use, not residential, ask the licensing authority for their advice. This will at least bring the matter to their attention.

If the other occupiers are using their units "legally" and you're "penalised" because you don't use your unit as much, there's nothing you can do - except use yours more!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A common practice at Trecco Bay site in Porthcawl is where the retired buy a static, live in it for the permitted 11 months and for the remainder they book bed & breakfast in a local guest house. They are allowed into their static vans during the day for possible maintenance etc. but not to sleep. They therefore have the benefit of a static van in Porthcawl for the best part of the year, cheap off season bed & breakfast for one month and no council tax on their property. Their savings and procedes from the sale of their home they give to the children to avoid death duties, etc. as well as no stamp duty on a home by the sea. There is also no money to claim should they need residential/nursing care in the twilight of their years. There is a lot to be dmired with senior citizens for outsmarting the tax man, etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A common practice at Trecco Bay site in Porthcawl is where the retired buy a static, live in it for the permitted 11 months and for the remainder they book bed & breakfast in a local guest house. They are allowed into their static vans during the day for possible maintenance etc. but not to sleep. They therefore have the benefit of a static van in Porthcawl for the best part of the year, cheap off season bed & breakfast for one month and no council tax on their property. Their savings and procedes from the sale of their home they give to the children to avoid death duties, etc. as well as no stamp duty on a home by the sea. There is also no money to claim should they need residential/nursing care in the twilight of their years. There is a lot to be dmired with senior citizens for outsmarting the tax man, etc.
Colin i agree with you whole heartedly .This is one of the few times when people who have woked all their lives ,payed their dews can avoid the taxman taking what they have saved for and handing it out to benefit sqroungers .

Better tone this down or the thought police will be coming round

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts