Looking for a car to tow 1574kg (Pegasus Grande GT75 Portofino) without B+E

Aug 3, 2024
Visit site
Hi there,

We are considering to buy a new car and a caravan.

We liked the Pegasus Grande GT75 Portofino (open to suggestions) https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/t...us-grande-gt75/pegasus-grande-gt75-portofino/

We were thinking about a Nissan Qashqai but the Gross Vehicle Weight is 2030 and the maximun towing 1500.

We don't want to go over 3500MMA as we don't want to get the B+E driving licence.

Any recomendations o suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi there,

We are considering to buy a new car and a caravan.

We liked the Pegasus Grande GT75 Portofino (open to suggestions) https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/t...us-grande-gt75/pegasus-grande-gt75-portofino/

We were thinking about a Nissan Qashqai but the Gross Vehicle Weight is 2030 and the maximun towing 1500.

We don't want to go over 3500MMA as we don't want to get the B+E driving licence.

Any recomendations o suggestions?

Thanks in advance
The B+E restriction is no longer applicable so you can legally exceed 3500kg with the correct car. Which model of Qashqai are you thinking about as they come with 1.3, 1.5 and 1.7 engines and will be auto or manual?

The MTPLM of the Bailey is 1574 so ideally you would be looking at a vehicle where the kerbweight or MRO is greater than 1600kg for a safe tow. In my opinion all the Qashqai are too light for that caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Buckman, where did you read B+E is not longer needed? Is that in UK, in EU or both?
It was revoked shortly after covid lockdowns ended. This link might help. Even if your licence is B you don’t need to change it in UK. But when it renews make sure it gets updated. But would need updating for travel in Europe with a caravan.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
The B+E restriction is no longer applicable so you can legally exceed 3500kg with the correct car. Which model of Qashqai are you thinking about as they come with 1.3, 1.5 and 1.7 engines and will be auto or manual?

The MTPLM of the Bailey is 1574 so ideally you would be looking at a vehicle where the kerbweight or MRO is greater than 1600kg for a safe tow. In my opinion all the Qashqai are too light for that caravan.
Just a minor correction here. B+E _is_ still applicable in the UK, but if you passed your test after lockdown, it is automatically added to your license, just like in the old days. Anyone who passed in the intermediate period and didn't get a new license issued will have it added on the next license update.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Aug 3, 2024
Visit site
Just a minor correction here. B+E _is_ still applicable in the UK, but if you passed your test after lockdown, it is automatically added to your license, just like in the old days. Anyone who passed in the intermediate period and didn't get a new license issued will have it added on the next license update.
So then, do I need to do an exam for B+E in UK?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The rules for EU licence holders and non EU licence holders are different. I thought an EU citizen had to exchange their EU licence for a UK licence after three years residence. No test being required.

Here’s the HMG online checker which also gives guidance on how to exchange a non UK licence if that’s required.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The rules for EU licence holders and non EU licence holders are different. I thought an EU citizen had to exchange their EU licence for a UK licence after three years residence. No test being required.

Here’s the HMG online checker.

From that link "If you were younger than 67 when you became a resident, you can drive on your EU licence until you’re 70" so the OP may be able to use his EU licence for some years yet.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
RogerL I have a Spanish one for now, I've been considering to change it for a UK one as I've been living here for the last 5 years
Not sure, but if you a permanent resident in the UK the foreign driving licence needs to be exchanged for UK driving licence within 12 months.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts