Lunar Clubman SE

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
While looking at the Manchester Caravan Show their the wife was really taken with the Clubman SE, in the 80's we had a Lunar Moonlight, which we enjoyed.

I am a little worried in the fact that l keep hearing the words Leaky Lunars, l know we all have problems with different makes, infact we had a few niggles with the Ace Firestar we bought new in 08 but up to now no water ingress (touch Wood)

All those with Lunars out their what are your thoughts so l can make a judgement based on your experiences.

I wouldn't have thought we will be buying until next year; your help would be greatly appreciated.

NGH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi,

i latter years,most caravans had a water ingress problem.progress in sealants and build quality have lessened the chances of a leaky van.we have had 2 vans,swift and avondale, and never had any water ingress problems with either.we have ordered the lunar clubman se ourselves and hope to have it this month.like you,we felt this was one of the best vans we have seen so far,if not the best for price and build quality.so dont be piut off by hearsay which could be attributed to all makes and modela in the 'PAST'.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
We have been caravanners for 30 years and had different models over that time. Three years ago we bought our first 'new' caravan after looking at all makes on the market. We liked the Lunar the best for both build-quality and finishing touches, so we bought a Quasar 524. We have just had the third damp test which showed no damp at all (which really is how it should be).We love the van, have had no problems and would buy the same again. If you like what you see in the Clubman, go for it and trust to luck which is all any of us can do in the end.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
If you remember we have been looking at the twin wheeler fixed bed end bathrooms, l liked the elite searcher; wife didn't like the silver sides, which also now dismisses the Swift 630.

We have tried to get the Coral but just missed out, no 620 about up in the North a few in the South, not prepared to travel for one in case their would be problems with the van

We have now turned our attentions to the Ruby and the Swift 580 as this will save us buying a new mover at

jca

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
If you remember we have been looking at the twin wheeler fixed bed end bathrooms, l liked the elite searcher; wife didn't like the silver sides, which also now dismisses the Swift 630.

We have tried to get the Coral but just missed out, no 620 about up in the North a few in the South, not prepared to travel for one in case their would be problems with the van

We have now turned our attentions to the Ruby and the Swift 580 as this will save us buying a new mover at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi nigel,

we have had our se now since mid february, we have had a week away in cotswolds and 3 weekends away with it and have only one gripe.the front middle blind came out of its housing and was a ****** to get back in,heard other people have had same problem.

besides that ....nothing.the heating system, although noisier than i expected, is fantastic and you do get used to the pump running.everything has been almost perfect,can't fault the van in anyway....we are both very pleased we have bought it.suppose still plenty time for faults to arise,but looking, really can't see anything as yet.

the bed is the best bed iv'e slept in both van and home,its really comfortable.we bought the bedding to match(pricey but looks well)well why not lol.

if you do get one, you will not regret it,suits us just perfect.

jacky

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks fo the reply, just got back looks like we will be having the Clubman,will be sleeping on it tonight then its make our minds up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks fo the reply, just got back looks like we will be having the Clubman,will be sleeping on it tonight then its make our minds up.
hi nigel,

youll sleep better on the clubman bed lol......good luck

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
NGH and Klarky - if you don't mind me asking - how long did you have to wait for your Clubman SE? We ordered ours 6 months ago and we hope to get it around next weekend. The dealer said that the run its included in started production last Thursday. I only hope its as good as our expectations lead us to hope it will be!!!

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
hi nigel,

we have had our se now since mid february, we have had a week away in cotswolds and 3 weekends away with it and have only one gripe.the front middle blind came out of its housing and was a ****** to get back in,heard other people have had same problem.

besides that ....nothing.the heating system, although noisier than i expected, is fantastic and you do get used to the pump running.everything has been almost perfect,can't fault the van in anyway....we are both very pleased we have bought it.suppose still plenty time for faults to arise,but looking, really can't see anything as yet.

the bed is the best bed iv'e slept in both van and home,its really comfortable.we bought the bedding to match(pricey but looks well)well why not lol.

if you do get one, you will not regret it,suits us just perfect.

jacky
Sorry to ask, can you tell me what you mean by, 'you get used to the pump running'? Just ordered a lunar 546 and am curious.

Cheers

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I have been looking all year for a replacement caravan. Lunar clubman 2 berth model has impressed the most, apart from the enamel sink,(i prefer stainless, they don't chip)it is a very desirable caravan, the ALDI heating being icing on the cake.

Next in line was the Eldiss crusader 2 berth.

So i think you have made a good choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to ask, can you tell me what you mean by, 'you get used to the pump running'? Just ordered a lunar 546 and am curious.

Cheers
hi,

the header tank on the se is in the cupboard beside the bed(offside) if you regulate the temperature you can hear the system click in,also with the pump running you get a drone noise from the cupboard which holds the header tank.you will quickly get used to this,it never stopped us fron a good nights sleep......having said that the alcohol sort of blocks it out too lol.no,its not too bad.the system itself is absolutely brilliant,no cold spots like you do with the carver type heater,everywhere is the same temperature.only plaace i find a little cooler is the bathroom.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
NGH and Klarky - if you don't mind me asking - how long did you have to wait for your Clubman SE? We ordered ours 6 months ago and we hope to get it around next weekend. The dealer said that the run its included in started production last Thursday. I only hope its as good as our expectations lead us to hope it will be!!!
we ordered early sep 2009,twice it was put back...nov,jan...eventually got it mid feb2010.needless to say we only paid the 15%vat.around 6 mths in all we waited,and well worth the wait.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Annie, Klarky we went to our dealer yesterday and they have said they are due the next SE in on the 2cnd of June and after that the next one is July.

When they order they take Caravans in Blocks l am led to believe.

l will be contacting them this week, they have given me a date of the 2cnd of June and 2 days for the PDI + 1/2 day to change my mover to the Clubman.

l am hoping that they can deliver on the due date, one reason is l am rather worried that VAT will increase shortly, probably to 20%, that's if it's a minority Tory Government, if it's a Lib/Lab pack l would be nervous that it could reach 25% on Luxury Goods, hence hoping its on time.

NigelH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Annie, Klarky we went to our dealer yesterday and they have said they are due the next SE in on the 2cnd of June and after that the next one is July.

When they order they take Caravans in Blocks l am led to believe.

l will be contacting them this week, they have given me a date of the 2cnd of June and 2 days for the PDI + 1/2 day to change my mover to the Clubman.

l am hoping that they can deliver on the due date, one reason is l am rather worried that VAT will increase shortly, probably to 20%, that's if it's a minority Tory Government, if it's a Lib/Lab pack l would be nervous that it could reach 25% on Luxury Goods, hence hoping its on time.

NigelH
hi nigel

the sleep has been a good one then.....for the wife...lol,you have decided to make the plunge,well if your anythiong like us you wont be dissappointed.

reason for the big delay from the outset of production was an unpresidented order book for the s.e,they also, as i was led to believe,were giving priority order, as were a lot of manufacturers,to sales from shows.

they also had problems with a supplier who went into administration,it took time to sort that out as it was a company who supplied the body shells for their caravans.and securing the moulds from this company,to give to another company to continue the process took some time,hence the big delay we had.

hope all turns out well for you and enjoy your van

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
NGH

I have placed an order for a caravan in February and expect delivery in June I also was worried about the VAT possible increase so I called the dealer with regards to both the caravan and the accessories and he said

Quote;

The Vat is Guaranteed at time of placing my order for both the caravan and the accessories Unquote; He also confirmed this in writing saying my purchase was VAT protected. So regardless of whether he is right or wrong as I have it confirmed in writing I will not loose to much sleep over it

John

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
NGH

I have placed an order for a caravan in February and expect delivery in June I also was worried about the VAT possible increase so I called the dealer with regards to both the caravan and the accessories and he said

Quote;

The Vat is Guaranteed at time of placing my order for both the caravan and the accessories Unquote; He also confirmed this in writing saying my purchase was VAT protected. So regardless of whether he is right or wrong as I have it confirmed in writing I will not loose to much sleep over it

John
Klarky/john/Annie

Well decision made order placed yesterday, caravan being built on the 27th of May, dealer rang Lunar in my presence and confirmed that my dealer was having two SE's built that day and would be delivered on the 2cnd or 3rd of June. These two caravans are part of 25 Clubman SE order placed in January which will be delivered in stages, hence us not having to wait so long. Just hope l have made the right choice only time will tell, we loved the Firestar but the wife wanted the end Bathroom which we had in the Ace Brightstar .

Has you Know we have looked at the twin wheelers, and other models like the Clubman with this layout, but when the wife first saw the clubman SE at the Manchester show l felt sure we would eventually come back to the Lunar.

One thing Klarky have you had trouble with the slats on the front bed, l tried them in a demo model and had right time pushing them back, kept coming off the runners, have told the dealer l want them checking before hand over, not a major problem, but don't want to struggle when the grand children come with us putting them back in the mornings.

NigelH

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
PM Klarky/john/Annie

Well decision made order placed yesterday, caravan being built on the 27th of May, dealer rang Lunar in my presence and confirmed that my dealer was having two SE's built that day and would be delivered on the 2cnd or 3rd of June. These two caravans are part of 25 Clubman SE order placed in January which will be delivered in stages, hence us not having to wait so long. Just hope l have made the right choice only time will tell, we loved the Firestar but the wife wanted the end Bathroom which we had in the Ace Brightstar .

Has you Know we have looked at the twin wheelers, and other models like the Clubman with this layout, but when the wife first saw the clubman SE at the Manchester show l felt sure we would eventually come back to the Lunar.

One thing Klarky have you had trouble with the slats on the front bed, l tried them in a demo model and had right time pushing them back, kept coming off the runners, have told the dealer l want them checking before hand over, not a major problem, but don't want to struggle when the grand children come with us putting them back in the mornings.

NigelH

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Well Klarky just returned from Leisure Sales up here in Cheshire, my Lunar Clubman was built last week, a week early. Due this Thursday at Leisure Sales will be along to see it before it has its PDI to make sure everything is tic key tee boo.

Hope their is nothing major to do, have arranged to drop mine off on Bank Holiday Monday so they can swap the Truma mover to the Clubman, we will then pick it up the following Friday, which should give us a week to get a accustomed with it before our trip to Sandringham on the 11th.

It's a big turn round from the twin wheeler but l am sure l have made the right decision in the end, big factor was not having to replace the mover with a new one and the same for the awning+ her indoors fell in love with it at the Manchester show, so she was always comparing the other vans we look at with the clubman and l must say the clubman seemed to come out way ahead every time, pity Swift didn't do it in the conqueror or the elite range on a single axle.

NigelH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well Klarky just returned from Leisure Sales up here in Cheshire, my Lunar Clubman was built last week, a week early. Due this Thursday at Leisure Sales will be along to see it before it has its PDI to make sure everything is tic key tee boo.

Hope their is nothing major to do, have arranged to drop mine off on Bank Holiday Monday so they can swap the Truma mover to the Clubman, we will then pick it up the following Friday, which should give us a week to get a accustomed with it before our trip to Sandringham on the 11th.

It's a big turn round from the twin wheeler but l am sure l have made the right decision in the end, big factor was not having to replace the mover with a new one and the same for the awning+ her indoors fell in love with it at the Manchester show, so she was always comparing the other vans we look at with the clubman and l must say the clubman seemed to come out way ahead every time, pity Swift didn't do it in the conqueror or the elite range on a single axle.

NigelH
hi nigel,

yes its one of the best vans we have seen for price,build quality and the end bedroom/bathroom combination.we both liked it first time we clapped eyes on it,we actually liked the avante 540 and would have bought it had we got the asking price for our van.never saw the lunar till last minute and boy were we pleased we didn't,cheaper but not as nice by far.we have had a few gripes with it though,but nothing that you cant overcome.telly ariel socket and dvd sockets down from front off side seating are not convenient at all.shower tray fills up if you dont get that side to side level right,we err on lifting offside slightly if possible,but then water doesnt drain away quick enough,may have to re-route waste pipe.few people had problem with front middle blind,we find if you use 2 hands to pull it up and down its ok....and we sprayed furniture polish on the race were the blinds slide down.......seems to have worked.besides that it has been wonderful.....very very pleased with it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi nigel,

yes its one of the best vans we have seen for price,build quality and the end bedroom/bathroom combination.we both liked it first time we clapped eyes on it,we actually liked the avante 540 and would have bought it had we got the asking price for our van.never saw the lunar till last minute and boy were we pleased we didn't,cheaper but not as nice by far.we have had a few gripes with it though,but nothing that you cant overcome.telly ariel socket and dvd sockets down from front off side seating are not convenient at all.shower tray fills up if you dont get that side to side level right,we err on lifting offside slightly if possible,but then water doesnt drain away quick enough,may have to re-route waste pipe.few people had problem with front middle blind,we find if you use 2 hands to pull it up and down its ok....and we sprayed furniture polish on the race were the blinds slide down.......seems to have worked.besides that it has been wonderful.....very very pleased with it.
also heard of trouble with front slats catching,seems to be a common issue too,not had problem with mine,then i dont use them.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Klarky, called at the dealers yesterday at 2pm, drove onto the car park and low and behold sat their on the back of the delivery transporter all gleaming was our Clubman.

The salesman Adam came over saying you couldn't have timed it better, what happened next had my heart in my mouth has one bloke began to off load two vans mine being the first! Yes one man.

After a heart wrench 5 minutes is was parked up safely, l couldn't believe that one man could handle that length of caravan manually with so much ease, when l have a mover to help me. Anyway enough of that on to the van, her indoors was straight inside checking everything was has it should be, l think she thought they may have missed something out on the build "ha!" one thing l noticed was the build date 20/05/10 so their it was the van only 8 days old. The next best thing that happened was the salesman Adam placing the sold sign on the front window of the van with our name on it, he then said once we had finished inspecting it that he would lock it up and take round to the service bay, was well pleased with this has customers were starting to flock around it to have look, one couple asked if they could have a look, he promptly told them that he would open the other Clubman SE that was delivered with it for them to look at has this was sold and was not for viewing, was well pleased with that didn't want others wandering in and out of something we had put a deposit on.

Sunday we take the Ace Firestar in so they can transfer the mover to the Clubman.

One thing l have read is the front legs are a little short and you may need blocks, have you noticed this, also the one about the shower tray draining is this because the shower is on the near side and the drain outlets on the off side, would it be better to lift the near side slightly, we also noticed the television points at the front, but we intend to use the side board for viewing, we ask to have the DVD connection the same has the front but they wanted to much to do it so we will stick with the satellite, don't watch that much telly anyway. My dealer is doing something with the bed slats don't know what but obviously they are aware of this niggle.

The front window blind we had to use two hands on our firestar due to it being a little stiffer than the others, we bought some special spray for concertina blinds from a caravan accessory shop will have a look what its called.

Any way that's it now until we pick it up on Friday then its away the following Friday to Sandringham for two weeks, would have liked to have done a weekend in it first but will have to settle with playing with it on the drive at home.

NigelH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts