Lunar Floor Failure

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
You should insist they do and quote either the Sale of Goods Act or Consumer Protection Act if bought after September 2015. I would imagine Lunar are delivering caravans to the dealer for the new season so getting the caravan down there should not be a problem for them although getting it back might mean losing one delivery space.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It is very clear from a number of other Forums Lunar floors of recent years have suffered a far higher frequency of failure.
The failures are we documented and not for me to quote. Lunar have a number of issues to resolve eg poor design and poor product construction resulting in premature failure.
I suspect the Small Claims Court Judge would look favourably on a claimants problem providing the appropriate complaints procedures have been followed under either soga or the late CRA.
I hope for the sake of industry confidence Lunar respond sensibly and offer iron clad resolutions to their disappointed customers.

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
The bad news is that our usual caravan service centre is unable to carry out the repairs as specified by Lunar. Their fix is for the floor to be cut out from underneath, extra supports inserted and floor replaced. Our service centre suggested to me that the only way they could access the floor (no lifting hoist) would be from above, removing front chest, seats, electrics, waterworks, fridge and cooker etc. peel back the lino and put in the supports from above. Obviously we don't want that to happen so I suggested cutting the lino around the edges of the furniture and accessing the floor that way. They are going to contact Lunar to find out if this is a viable option and how many warranty hours they'll be given for the job. If this cannot be done we'll have to take the van to Preston (from South Wales) to the Lunar factory. If this was a car company there would be a recall and the problems fixed. Lunar don't seem to care. I just hope that this thread somehow comes to their attention.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Homer , wouldn't you rather take the van from your place to Lunar and have the proper floor fitted rather than half a job. I took our Coachman from Milton Keynes to Hull only 3 1/2 hours to have a new back panel fitted. Not a problem and saved me many months of waiting to have the van picked up by a dealer etc.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Homer.
With a job of this complexity you are quite entitled to ask Lunar for a detailed job specification and what future guarantee may be offered.
I'm trying to comprehend how a solid floor part can be strengthened with additional supports. Where do the supports attach.?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Homer , wouldn't you rather take the van from your place to Lunar and have the proper floor fitted rather than half a job. I took our Coachman from Milton Keynes to Hull only 3 1/2 hours to have a new back panel fitted. Not a problem and saved me many months of waiting to have the van picked up by a dealer etc.

Whether its manufacturers warranty or the CRA if a repaired is carried out it must be fit for purpose, There is always the possibility there may be diverging views on what constitutes "fit for purpose" between manufacture and dealer.

In this case you have been offered two possible methods, and clearly you favour one, but those methods are being suggested by two different organisations and are based on their facilities are capable of handling. I think it might be worth asking an independent engineer to review the caravan and to advice purely from an independent perspective what would be best.

But fundamentally the CRA does require, as a minimum, the repair to return the goods in a condition that is the same as if no fault had occurred, which also means no loss of intrinsic value, unless the customer agrees a balancing payment. Sad to say there is generally no similar requirement in manufacturers warranties, where they are only contracted to return goods in working condition, with no reference to loss of value.

In addition the CRA only allows the seller ONE opportunity to repair goods, so if the repair is inadequate, they have no option but to refund the market value of the goods, or with the customers agreement to offer a partial refund to cover the loss of value. Manufactures warranties may allow for more than one attempt - but do you really want that?

At the end of this process you want a caravan that is fully functional, and reliable long term, with no obvious signs that a repair has been carried out.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My view is that Lunar have had several of these failures and should be the experts on fixing it so would go for their system.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Dustydog said:
Homer.
With a job of this complexity you are quite entitled to ask Lunar for a detailed job specification and what future guarantee may be offered.
I'm trying to comprehend how a solid floor part can be strengthened with additional supports. Where do the supports attach.?

My Lunar caravan floor is not solid but a sandwich of 6mm plywood sheets top and bottom with a foam core reinforced with timber battens at high load points in the middle. All intended to aid a lightweight construction; unfortunately Lunar seem to skimp on the reinforcing battens.

Others may like to comment on how other manufacturers construct their floors.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
Dustydog said:
Homer.

My Lunar caravan floor is not solid but a sandwich of 6mm plywood sheets top and bottom with a foam core reinforced with timber battens at high load points in the middle. All intended to aid a lightweight construction; unfortunately Lunar seem to skimp on the reinforcing battens.

Others may like to comment on how other manufacturers construct their floors.
I meant one single piece. Watch the you tube vids of caravans being built. They start with the floor and screw on the chassis.Anything less than the whole floor section can't be as good. Adding extra supports may alter the MIRO

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts