Made a new friend on a caravan site today.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Turns out his name is Ben, he was sitting alone outside his caravan and looking lonely, he passed the time by moving position between draughty areas and sheltered areas (weather was a bit unsettled, gentle and sometimes stiff breezes etc).

Anyways, I thought I would make contact as he was obviously all alone, he was very friendly and very subdued but he appreciated my infrequent visits to to say "Hi Ben".

He really perked up when his companions returned from their day out, obviously their company was preferred to mine.

A very nice nice dog is Ben.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well Our Rex, at time will be very affectionate to anyone and every one, especially children, but if another dogs comes past whilst children are in "his" area he gets very protective for them. :unsure:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
Turns out his name is Ben, he was sitting alone outside his caravan and looking lonely, he passed the time by moving position between draughty areas and sheltered areas (weather was a bit unsettled, gentle and sometimes stiff breezes etc).

Anyways, I thought I would make contact as he was obviously all alone, he was very friendly and very subdued but he appreciated my infrequent visits to to say "Hi Ben".

He really perked up when his companions returned from their day out, obviously their company was preferred to mine.

A very nice nice dog is Ben.

Have i got this right..............he was left all day on his own?????
If so;
a) Report the owners to the site warden
b) Report them to RSPCA
c) This could be the best one, when they go out tomorrow kidnap Ben, put him in your van and see if they actually miss him when they return, probably not as they obviously don't care and dont deserve to have a Ben!!

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Sir Gagakev,

My post was poorly worded, Ben's owners left him for say maximum 4 hours ( I did not note the time they departed or returned) they left Ben a bowl of water too.

We too had gone out for a couple of hours, I wasn't monitoring timescales as I had no concerns for Ben.

I chatted with the owners later in the day and they seemed to be caring owners, and Ben did not seem at all stressed when he was left alone.

Ben's owners have now gone out again leaving Ben as they did yesterday, I will note their return time and if Ben needs anything I will see to it.

I don't have any concerns such that the owners should be reported to anyone, apologies if I intimated that Ben had been abandoned or neglected.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Ben's owners have returned to their caravan, they were away for 4 hours, same as yesterday I guess.

Ben, was quite happy sunning himself it appeared, in fairness this is a nice and peaceful site and likelihood of dog theft is low, not to say that it could not happen.

Anyway, I kept an eye on Ben, he seems to be unperturbed by being left alone, all seems good.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Many sites have a 'no unattended pets' rule for so many good reasons. If you take you dog on holiday then surely there is a duty to ensure that your activities include the pet. After all if the pet was distressed during the four hours who is expected to take responsibility?

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
It wuld of been interesting if Ben had slipped his collar and gone on a walkabout, those people are not fit to have a Ben leaving him like that with strangers all around him, what if he decided to barking for four hours ,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I hope poor Ben had plenty of shade. It was 23 degs yesterday. The sun was fierce. Most dogs I know will seek somewhere cool and shaded.
Imo it is very selfish and irresponsible leaving a large dog tied up outside in this hot weather never mind breaching site rules. Caring owners :unsure:
NB. Never leave a dog alone in a caravan in this hot weather. The temperature can rise rapidly and distress the dog.
Also please think of your dog when walking on hot pavements. Think of their poor little paw pads getting fried :woohoo:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone read that newspaper report yesterday don't know where it was but it was in a car park and someone had left there two labradors in the car where the temperature reached about 25° the police were called and had to smash their way into the car and people said they could hardly breathe because of the heat in the car , dogs survived but were treated for dehydration ! unbelievable

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Did anyone read that newspaper report yesterday don't know where it was but it was in a car park and someone had left there two labradors in the car where the temperature reached about 25° the police were called and had to smash their way into the car and people said they could hardly breathe because of the heat in the car , dogs survived but were treated for dehydration ! unbelievable

I read about it. The police will no doubt get a bill for fixing the car window :angry: I see the RSPCA are involved. I expect the dogs owners will lose their pets and be banned from having dogs again.
Those sort of people make sick.
BTW Craig
Did you see the details of yesterday’s tragic accident involving the bus and an artic? From the photos the bus driver never had a chance and tragically died. How can you not see a massive double decker bus approaching ?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Craigyoung said:

I read about it. The police will no doubt get a bill for fixing the car window :angry: I see the RSPCA are involved. I expect the dogs owners will lose their pets and be banned from having dogs again.
Those sort of people make sick.
BTW Craig
Did you see the details of yesterday’s tragic accident involving the bus and an artic? From the photos the bus driver never had a chance and tragically died. How can you not see a massive double decker bus approaching ?

Yes I did see it DD . We were talking about it y'day at work . I don't want to say too much about it as I don't know the facts but it's unfortunate what's happened.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
The haulage company involved in that accident I happen to know and also people that still work there, no one knows what happened apart from the bus running in to the side of the lorry so let the Police get on with their investigation,

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
camel said:
The haulage company involved in that accident I happen to know and also people that still work there, no one knows what happened apart from the bus running in to the side of the lorry so let the Police get on with their investigation,

Chill out , we were not pointing the blame at anybody.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
"Also please think of your dog when walking on hot pavements. Think of their poor little paw pads getting fried "

Good point! Try putting the palm of your hand on the ground for 5 seconds. If it's too hot for you to do this, then it's too hot for the dog to walk on it!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On our present trip we put the dogs behind us rather than in the load area. The seat bases tip up and the dogs ride in that space on soft bedding. That way they get less sunlight entering their area and have the benefit of the aircon outlets in the B pillars and the cooler air that goes rearward from the driver-passenger zone. For safety we bought two Allsafe harnesses which are real ‘bruisers’ but have no clips that could fail in the event of an accident. All this was planned for our Ardennes—Vosges trip but it works just as well in Leicestershire:)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
On our present trip we put the dogs behind us rather than in the load area. The seat bases tip up and the dogs ride in that space on soft bedding. That way they get less sunlight entering their area and have the benefit of the aircon outlets in the B pillars and the cooler air that goes rearward from the driver-passenger zone. For safety we bought two Allsafe harnesses which are real ‘bruisers’ but have no clips that could fail in the event of an accident. All this was planned for our Ardennes—Vosges trip but it works just as well in Leicestershire:)
Admit it Clive,
The dogs do better than us :whistle:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
otherclive said:
Admit it Clive,
The dogs do better than us :whistle:

Ever time Dusty, and I wouldn’t change it one bit. :)

PS edit. And they even have the additional benefit of side curtain airbags too.

TRENDING THREADS