MAPLINS PORTABLE SATELLITE KITS

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I read the previous topic about the Maplins Camping Satellite TV Kit - it seemed to get good reports but can anyone tell me if it is any good in central and far north of Scotland - I thought that you need a bigger 54cm or 60cm dish this far North?

- also any recommendations on which satellite receiver to go for?

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! Jon i use a maplins sat kit i live in Inverness area and get great pics from Inverness to south of Derby with no problems at all .i also use my sky receiver from my house .you have payed for it so use it .nothing to stop you .???get a good sat finder

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I just use a pole (metal or a windbreak pole) banged into the ground, takes up less space and has always stayed put when I have seen tripods being blown over,

Another tip the lower down (or closest to the anchor point you can get) will give the steadiest position and makes the dish less prone to wind.

A lot of people seem to get the dish as high as they can get them - this does not improve the signal at all unless people or cars are passing so close they interrupt the signal.

I have recieved satellites that are aimed towards eastern and northern europe with the maplins kit with ease so can not imagine Astra2 would be a problem in Scotland.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Douglas; I have heard/read somwhere that if you take a basic Sky box but use a Sky + viewing card you cannot get the premium channels such as sky sports etc. Is this correct?

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Douglas; I have heard/read somwhere that if you take a basic Sky box but use a Sky + viewing card you cannot get the premium channels such as sky sports etc. Is this correct?
HI! Paul yep thats right if you take any old sky box you can get a card from Sky (

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts