moisture traps

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We don't use them now as we are out every 5 weeks in ours but if you do use them , when we used them we would duct tape of the vents on the floors so that air from outside was not drawn in and a stuck a sock in each of the heater vents .

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Moisture traps and dehumidifiers do one thing, draw moisture from the surrounding air.
In a sealed box that would be effective until the lid was opened.

In a caravan there are a lot of permanently open to the air vents which must never be blocked, and the air inside the van changes at a rate of about once per hour (very roughly) .

The whole purpose of the vents is to keep the van dry, and as long as you do not have any leaks they work perfectly well.

So, unless you are intent on attempting to dry out the whole world, they are useless, costly and , especially with moisture traps, if they overspill you have a problem with highly chemically charged liquid.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
We don't use them now as we are out every 5 weeks in ours but if you do use them , when we used them we would duct tape of the vents on the floors so that air from outside was not drawn in and a stuck a sock in each of the heater vents .

And what did you do with the rooflights? as they have permanent ventilation too.

Aug 11, 2018
Visit site
In a special area, where there is a know problem OK. I think when my wife had a shower she allowed water to get into the toilet area which is where the wardrobe is, the trap dried out that area, but main problem was she had turned off the central heating vents in toilet area, once turned back on no more problems.

So yes we hung one in the wardrobe, but general in caravan waste of time.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Craigyoung said:

And what did you do with the rooflights? as they have permanent ventilation too.

Mmm ! You got me there ! Forgot about them :blush:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Shakey, I keep one in the wardrobe of the van, in the winter, it will absorbed 1.5 kg of water. Put it in the oven at home for an hour and its ready to go again. Just keeps the wardrobe stuff a bit drier. .

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Shakey, I keep one in the wardrobe of the van, in the winter, it will absorbed 1.5 kg of water. Put it in the oven at home for an hour and its ready to go again. Just keeps the wardrobe stuff a bit drier. .

So the air is moisture reduced for the small time the wardrobe door is closed, but once opened new air enters laden with moisture on an ever continuing cycle .
If you have that much water in your wardrobe you have a problem !!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
EH52ARH said:

So the air is moisture reduced for the small time the wardrobe door is closed, but once opened new air enters laden with moisture on an ever continuing cycle .
If you have that much water in your wardrobe you have a problem !!!

I have had it in the wardrobe for over four months and it is no where near ready to be put into the oven, but it keeps the peace with the boss, about possibly damp clothes, which I have never noticed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
...I have had it in the wardrobe for over four months and it is no where near ready to be put into the oven, but it keeps the peace with the boss, about possibly damp clothes, which I have never noticed.

Your wife's fears are unfounded unless you have a water ingress problem, but anything for a peaceful life :S

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts