Motorised jockey wheel - solo hitching up

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
My "new" old caravan came with a battery powered motorized jockey wheel. (Can't remember branding right now but one of the beefier models.) OK, so not as good as motor movers to each wheel with remote control, but I'm not complaining.
It's not actually installed ont' 'van right now, but will be very soon.

Without it, I reckon I would struggle to do a "one-person" manual hitch-up in anything other than the most benign circumstances with level, hard surface conditions. So ...
I've been thinking about the best tow-vehicle/caravan positioning strategy before engaging the motorized jockey. (Obviously I cannot just draw 'van straight onto the tow-bar as I will have a draw handle in the way !)
I envisage some sort of crabbing movement to bring caravan into position to drop hitch onto the tow-bar. **Any clues/tips on tried-and-tested methods please ?

(**I'm thinking - firstly move caravan's front end in an arc with it ending up roughly mid-way behind vehicle - then marking mid-way position with a cane, say, and then moving 'van a bit out of the way on the same arc - then reverse vehicle so tow-bar pretty much on the marker position and then shuttle caravan jockey-wheel back & forth a small bit at a time until the perfect position to drop onto the hitch.)

What do other hitching soloists do please ?!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
These movers can add a lot of nose weight. As an alternative, consider fitting a reversing camera. There are some cheap one available now. And then line the hitch up in relative luxury.

Sometimes you may have to pitch in a position in which the van has to be turned. There are often enough willing people around to give you a push.

John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
This is probably daft and missing the point as I neither tow nor hitch up solo, but wouldn’t a convention motor mover do the job better? Reverse car close to hitch. Get out of car. Motor Move hitch to to tow ball.
sorry no offence is intended if I have missed something
mel

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I used to have a motor mover that replaced the jocky wheel. No problem hitching up, took the mover off and replaced with the jocky wheel, so no extra weight on tow ball.

Trevor

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
In reply to the various comments (thanks):

Appreciate powered jockey wheels quite weighty, but previous elderly owner/s seemed happy and I will persevere, not wishing to fork out more dosh on anything much right now: besides which I'm a lousy reverser (no idea why, I just am) - I get a little lee-way with my tractor & implements, but I doubt I could be almost pin-point accurate on the tow hitch when looking at a small video screen. (Not worried about re-connecting up for return back to base when I know there will likely be willing hands to help.)

By "conventional motor mover", I imagine Mel means motors fitted each side and acting on the wheel via a remote control: yes, 'twould be so much easier, but they come with a quite substantial price !

@Trevormc - more details on how you maneuvered car/caravan for hitch-up would be appreciated. To note my MJW does not have an adjustable jockey-wheel draw-handle like some do; it is either pointing forward of direction of movement or lagging behind - either way, it means I cannot connect up in a straight line along the front to rear caravan axis.

[Edit: actually, it dawns on me, the answer to awkward soloist-hitching with my MJW is to have a dual bracket manufactured for both in-line & 90 degree handle fixing so that the steering handle can be at 90 degrees to the motorized direction of travel when desired. Why didn't the design engineer think of that ? I shall look into modifying idc.]

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In reply to the various comments (thanks):

{Edit: actually, it dawns on me, the answer to awkward soloist-hitching with my MJW is to have a dual bracket manufactured for both in-line & 90 degree handle fixing so that the steering handle can be at 90 degrees to the motorized direction of travel when desired. Why didn't the design engineer think of that ? I shall look into modifying idc.]
Beware of doing any modifications that may alter the caravan as the knock effect could be insurance car and also unit as it is no longer standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: arob.wk
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The cheapest solution is to fit a reversing camera on the car. With that it is possible to bring the towball within millimetres of the hitch, close enough to drop it straight down on to the ball. My car has a reversing camera as standard and I have absolutely no problems hitching up on my own.

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately @Lutz, the cheapest option is actually using what I have - not the best, but it is what I have and means I won't be spending loads of extra money!

Reactions: RogerL
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do have a reversing camera on the car and it is fantastic, I can actually see the tow ball and can get it right under the hitch from the driving seat. I admit it came with the car so possibly would not have it otherwise but now I am sold on the idea.
The motorised hitch should work well enough, but I would check the nose weight with it on and see what you have. It will put this up, but a lot depends on what the car can take and you may be lucky, but even then it is an expensive item and could be easy to steal so you might still need to remove it when you are not towing. You only really need the jockey wheel when moving the caravan so taking it off when it is not needed should not be a problem.
As far as the caravan insurance is concerned it is not a problem but you will need to allow for the additional cost of this when setting the sum insured as they are not cheap. It will not affect the car insurance as the modification in no way alters the risk, and it is not a change to the cars specification.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
My jockey wheel mover was used to take van from rear of house to road a distance of about 30 yards then used to get ball under hitch . It was then removed and put back into shed ready for the next trip. Between the house and fence I had about 6 inches each side of the van, a removeable handle was fitted to the mover for steering and it worked a treat, It did pack up in the end it was second hand when purchased and lasted me for 16 years.

Trevor

Reactions: WayneS and arob.wk
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My jockey wheel mover was used to take van from rear of house to road a distance of about 30 yards then used to get ball under hitch . It was then removed and put back into shed ready for the next trip. Between the house and fence I had about 6 inches each side of the van, a removeable handle was fitted to the mover for steering and it worked a treat, It did pack up in the end it was second hand when purchased and lasted me for 16 years.

Trevor
it sounds like jockey wheel mover has given you great service :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Come on boys and girls. With a little practice you can place your tow ball perfectly under the hitch ready for connecting. Once hitched, sit quietly and observe where , say the Caravan lights are in your mirrors.
Remember the old days of the match stick in the bottom middle of the rear screen. Once you know the positions backing on becomes so easy😎😎

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Come on boys and girls. With a little practice you can place your tow ball perfectly under the hitch ready for connecting. Once hitched, sit quietly and observe where , say the Caravan lights are in your mirrors.
Remember the old days of the match stick in the bottom middle of the rear screen. Once you know the positions backing on becomes so easy😎😎
Doesn't that assume you're backing on straight ?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I used to regard it as a point of honour to be able to position the towcar perfectly to hitch up, but on my Kia Sorento I fitted a very discreet reversing camera that is part of the number plate surround, with the camera image appearing in my rear view mirror.
I can see the towball and the caravan hitch so it's a very simple matter to place the towball in the correct position under the hitch.
I had a bloke come over last Friday as I hitched up ready to go home who admired my "reversing skills".
I didn't mention the little reversing camera 😁

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Embarrassing for me. A chap at the local tip unhitched a trailer, then turned it round and positioned it for emptying. Then he turned his Jag round and started backing onto the hitch. I thought I would help and started guiding him. Don’t worry he said, I’ve got a camera. Doh.

John

Reactions: Thingy and Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
DD I remember those days backing my caravan into storage i found it vey easy but now days i like my new toy the mover only waited for it for 31 years ;)

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Of course😜😜😜
Why do people think you have to line up "straight on" as long as the tow ball is under the hitch , it will connect, I hitch up solo all the time , with the help of the wife staying away. Get close , have a look get closer, have another look and your there normally.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 24, 2014
Visit site
with the help of the wife staying away

That really is the crux of the matter. My wife bless her tries to help me do a job I can do blindfold, or at least until she tries to help. Her hand signals range from amazing to utterly hilarious. They range from "On me" to "freeze" and even "wedge formation".

Reactions: arob.wk and Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Why do people think you have to line up "straight on" as long as the tow ball is under the hitch , it will connect, I hitch up solo all the time , with the help of the wife staying away. Get close , have a look get closer, have another look and your there normally.
i use to go to caravan storage pick up the van on my own similar to your method and take it to my previous home there was room to park at the front for wash and wax no problem ;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Precisely Hutch, No matter what angle the car is to the caravan the mirrors at some point “line up” once the hitch is in the correct place. Just take a bit of practise to become perfect most times😇😇😇

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Why can’t my wife simply stand in a place where I can see her and she can see any obstacl. And why is it that when I complain. It’s my fault. Why can’t she get. The drivers seat is fixed.

Having said that. A lorry driver reversed me last week. He did stand in a great place, but he still guided me into his lorry. My top marker light gone. But the lorry was fine.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Why can’t my wife simply stand in a place where I can see her and she can see any obstacl. And why is it that when I complain. It’s my fault. Why can’t she get. The drivers seat is fixed.

Having said that. A lorry driver reversed me last week. He did stand in a great place, but he still guided me into his lorry. My top marker light gone. But the lorry was fine.

John
Rhetorical question John🤪I’ve never understood why SWMBO doesn’t get the mirror thing. All the years she spends looking at one…..😜😜😜😜😜😜

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Rhetorical question John🤪I’ve never understood why SWMBO doesn’t get the mirror thing. All the years she spends looking at one…..😜😜😜😜😜😜

Absolutely. My wife finds maps impossible. But can’t be simply a female thing. Our friend (female), has navigated successfully all over Europe. And her map is usually about 10 years out of date.

Once, we were playing Trivial Pursuit. The ladies question was, which is furthest west, Poole or Bournemouth. As they were discussing it both my wife and Dil. said,

“It depends which way you are looking at it”.

She still has no idea why that is wrong.

By the way, my wife has very many redeeming features.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely. My wife finds maps impossible. But can’t be simply a female thing. Our friend (female), has navigated successfully all over Europe. And her map is usually about 10 years out of date.

Once, we were playing Trivial Pursuit. The ladies question was, which is furthest west, Poole or Bournemouth. As they were discussing it both my wife and Dil. said,

“It depends which way you are looking at it”.

She still has no idea why that is wrong.

By the way, my wife has very many redeeming features.

John

I read once that females navigational capability is supposed to improve after the menopause. But it never said anything about where the baseline starts.

Must say I have more confidence when my wife digs out the map book, than when the phone comes out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts