Need new tyres

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As the video shows, the leveling system has a lifting strut jus in board of the wheels, and is presumably fixed to the axle assembly. This means the caravan structure sees the forces and reactions of the lift in the same way as the support provided by the road wheels, and consequently the caravan would not suffer if the wheels are lifted off the ground. The leveling system demonstrated is very different, to the caravans steadies. The steadies must not be used to lift the dead weight of a caravan as they are not normally attached to strong enough parts of the caravan.

Rotating the wheels as demonstrated won't do any harm, but I'm not sure it is necessary if the tyres are radial ply, they are designed to flex, and provided they are inflated to the correct pressure, the tyre should be adequately supported.

Tyres don't only age at the contact area with the ground, so rotating a wheel is not going to prevent ageing. In some respects there is an argument that says don't rotate, because if a tyre is in poor enough condition to start cracking you really want to know about it, and having a means of showing it, and causing you to replace the tyres sooner than later may prevent an incident when towing.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The E&P system uses jacks which work independently and are between the two axles so no different to using a trolley jack or ALKO jack.

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
My awning is still up and I’m having my 4 tyres changed Saturday.

All I do is remove some of the pegs from near the caravan itself so it can be lifted via a jack not the E&P.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our 175/65 R14 90 tyres are now over 6 years old and according to the last service, they are cracking on the inside. I have been looking for new tyres for fitting in the New Year and came across Pirellis sold by Halfords at a very good price £62.99 each for mid range tyres. Plus 10% discount if buying 2 or more.

Annoyingly Halfords will not let you buy Online unless you input the reg number of the vehicle and if you do, it states that you cannot go ahead as the tyre is not suitable for the vehicle. No option for a trailer. National Tyres have Firestone Vanhawk 2 at £87.99. If buying 2 or more you get 10% off and no reg number required. Halfords and National are part of the same group!

However with Christmas coming up and us probably not using the caravan for the next 3 -4 months, although the Pirellis are a good price, I think I may hold off and hope that similar discounts will be available in the New Year. Not sure if it is a wsie move or not?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our 175/65 R14 90 tyres are now over 6 years old and according to the last service, they are cracking on the inside. I have been looking for new tyres for fitting in the New Year and came across Pirellis sold by Halfords at a very good price £62.99 each for mid range tyres. Plus 10% discount if buying 2 or more.

Annoyingly Halfords will not let you buy Online unless you input the reg number of the vehicle and if you do, it states that you cannot go ahead as the tyre is not suitable for the vehicle. No option for a trailer. National Tyres have Firestone Vanhawk 2 at £87.99. If buying 2 or more you get 10% off and no reg number required. Halfords and National are part of the same group!

However with Christmas coming up and us probably not using the caravan for the next 3 -4 months, although the Pirellis are a good price, I think I may hold off and hope that similar discounts will be available in the New Year. Not sure if it is a wsie move or not?
Early part of the year is always a bit dead for many types of retail items. I’d wait if you are not planning to use the caravan.

PS if Halfords are competitive when you decide to buy try the Chat line or telephone to by pass the restrictions on the online purchase site.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

Try this
They specifically do tyres for caravans and as the name says come to you. And have a laugh they are part of Halfords😜
Unless you are going away between now and the spring I’d wait until your first trip next year.The selection of tyres available on the above site is truly amazing 👍 Hope you find what you want👏

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Try this
They specifically do tyres for caravans and as the name says come to you. And have a laugh they are part of Halfords😜
Unless you are going away between now and the spring I’d wait until your first trip next year.The selection of tyres available on the above site is truly amazing 👍 Hope you find what you want👏
Just had a look at that website and their prices are quite competitive cf Blackcircles who I tend to use. Goodyear Vector all seasons nearly £20 cheaper than Michelin Cross Climate. But no Hankook all seasons which my preferred for the Kia Rio runabout. Will bookmark the site though for future reference.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Just be sure to check the load rating for whatever tyres you fancy matches or exceeds the requirements for your caravan. Caravan tyres have to support far more weight than car tyres, so "ordinary" car tyres are usually totally unsuitable for use on a (single axle) caravan. Think 1500kg spread between 2 caravan tyres is 750kg per tyre whereas 1500kg spread over 4 car tyres is only 375kg per tyre (and yes I do know that one end of a car usually weighs more than the other, but I am sure everyone understands the principle)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just be sure to check the load rating for whatever tyres you fancy matches or exceeds the requirements for your caravan. Caravan tyres have to support far more weight than car tyres, so "ordinary" car tyres are usually totally unsuitable for use on a (single axle) caravan. Think 1500kg spread between 2 caravan tyres is 750kg per tyre whereas 1500kg spread over 4 car tyres is only 375kg per tyre (and yes I do know that one end of a car usually weighs more than the other, but I am sure everyone understands the principle)
175/65 R14 90
90 is the magic number. According to the boffins “90” can support 600 kgs.. Thus each axle can cope with 1200kgs and the op ta can cope with 2400kgs well within his maximum capacity.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
175/65 R14 90
90 is the magic number. According to the boffins “90” can support 600 kgs.. Thus each axle can cope with 1200kgs and the op ta can cope with 2400kgs well within his maximum capacity.
The MTPLM of our caravan is 2000kg so the load rating 90 is a good safety margin. While searching yesterday a number of sites had tyres with 88/90 rating. Unsure of the double figure?

Also got a message from Halfords that the Pirellis were no longer available so even if I had decided to go ahead, it wouldn't have happened> LOL! :LOL:

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The MTPLM of our caravan is 2000kg so the load rating 90 is a good safety margin. While searching yesterday a number of sites had tyres with 88/90 rating. Unsure of the double figure?
The double figure is needed where vans/trucks have two wheels at each end of the axle - the lower rating applies to them - the higher rating applies to everything else.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Also got a message from Halfords that the Pirellis were no longer available so even if I had decided to go ahead, it wouldn't have happened> LOL! :LOL:
This explains why some tyres have two load ratings. They are applicable to a single wheel on each side of an axle, or two wheels on each side of an axle.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
175/65 R14 90
Assuming that it's a twin axle caravan, in which case you are spot on. However if its a single axle then a load rating of 90 is woefully inadequate.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
In which case ignore all of my previous posts. However it would have been useful from the outset to have included that little snippet of information.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In which case ignore all of my previous posts. However it would have been useful from the outset to have included that little snippet of information.
Apologies I made the incorrect assumption that most posters would know we had a twin axle Buccaneer as per #48 and my nom de plume. I simply copied the tyre size off the actual brochure as caravan is in storage 10 miles away. :unsure:

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Post 48 is a long way back in the thread.
Buckman could be a reference to a male deer or just about anything else, now you have explained it I understand (y)(y)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can you legally fit a T rated tyre when the car came with an H rated tyre 130 mph whereas T rating is 118mph. . Both are well in excess of the cars maximum speed of 108 mph

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Can you legally fit a T rated tyre when the car came with an H rated tyre 130 mph whereas T rating is 118mph. . Both are well in excess of the cars maximum speed of 108 mph
Construction & Use Regulations in the UK require tyres suitable for the design speed so it's ok as long as the tyre speed rating is in excess of the car manufacturers published maximum speed for that model.

Car manufacturers often fit higher rated tyres to each model in a range to take advantage of volume discounts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts