New Bailey Ranger 540/6 damp and mould found !

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi, we agree with your comments on the Ranger series 5, we bought a brand new one of these in October and chose it over the series 6, GT60 & Pageant (we would have gone for a GT60 but hate the upholstery, and the Pageants dark wood) but we love the triple bunk layout it's brilliant with young kids who have their own area, we chose the series 5 because of the light and airy interior feel. We loved the cream/blue interior the light worktops and all the extra lighting. We have only used the van twice over 9 days and were really pleased with it overall, (a tip we had a heater vent fitted in the rear which works brilliantly). Imagine our horror when we found mould growing along the full length of the bottom bunk floor. Has anyone else had any damp issues with this model or Baileys in general. The six year damp guarantee was one of the reasons for our purchase! We returned it to our dealer and it now has been returned to the Bailey factory for a major repair, comprising we believe of removal of complete side panel, front/rear panels and trim, apparently they never replace floors, but ours is growing healthily not only black spots but white furry sections too!. We have written to Bailey and our dealer stating we do not want the van returned, we will keep you informed of the responses from both customer service sections. We and our children are hugely disappointed as we are going to be missing 2 bank holidays min. We are hoping for a swift and understanding response - I wonder?

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
so sorry about your van. google sales of goods act quick facts. this is a great document theat will help you do a profesional job of rejection. your contract is with the dealer.

keep us posted

jo-anne

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Like Joanne says, I would write a letter of 'Rejection'. You really don't want to accept a caravan where the floor has already developed black (and white) mould!

In the States mould growths of all types, in living accommodation, are taken seriously, and tested for 'variety'. Some moulds can be toxic and make worse conditions such as asthma, eczema, and such symptoms, - and I wouldn't run the risk, especially as your children will be sleeping just above the affected area.

If the floor is not to be replaced then I would insist on a new van.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Frank

That is terrible!! I really do feel for you.

We have just purchased the triple bunk layout in the Adria 542DT, we were also looking at the GT60 540/6. We absolute love our Adria. Maybe this could be an option for you if you decide to reject your van.

As it is brand new, I would insist that they replace it. As you also have children, mould and damp can lead to childhood asthma.

I would take it as far as you can go and have it replaced.

I hope you get it replaced, keep us all informed.

Sam

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Dear Frank,

We bought a new Ranger 510/4 series 5 in December. Like you we choose this range of van because there was no series 6 Ranger in that layout and we did not like the colour scheme in the series 6 GT60 (or the reduced number of lights), nor as you did we like the dark wood in the Pageant. We also got a good discount because the dealer was wanting to get rid of the last of the '08' models.

Luckily we have not had any damp problems, just a sticky table leg, one broken seat slot and a bit of trim has come unstuck in the bathroom. I would agree that unless they replace the floor,you should reject your caravan as being unfit for purpose. Or perhaps you should think of demanding a fat cheque to compensate for the fact that your 'new' caravan has a less than perfect floor.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your support and tips great advice too

we have tied to be understanding ,and that errors do occur in manufacturing .The alloy side panel , were the bunk window is was rippall under the seal and the cut out for the window was way to big (it loked like the cuttor had snagged up and gone off line when manufactured , therefore the seal could not do its job and the water pored in !!!

We hope that by trying to be fair to both the dealer and BAILEY and give them a chance to act proffessional , everone will be happy in the end ( same we wo nt have a van for the next bank holiday , but hopefully thay will sort out a replacement soon !!!!!! Hopefully our dealer and Bailey will act on on our first letter and they can show everone that true customer service does still exist.

but if not i have plenty of pic s of the dampo / mouldy areas and faulty manufactured panel , tpo go to court with if they decide to push us that far , i really hope this is not required as they both will loose in the long run , i have not named our dealer , or hitted their location so far , but hope i can sing their praise s soon !!

if this approch fails , then i will go dowThe first letter we have send is

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Ops for got ot spell the the reply above sorry!should have read as :

Thanks everyone for your support and tips great advice too

We have tried to be understanding ,and that errors do occur in manufacturing .The alloy side panel , where the bunk window is was rippled under the seal and the cutout for the window was way to big in one corner (it looked like the cutter had snagged up and gone off line when manufacturing , therefore the seal could not do its job and the water poured in !!!

We hope that by trying to be fair to both the Dealer and BAILEY and give them a chance to act professionally , everyone will be happy in the end ( shame we will nothave a van for this bank holiday as planned, but hopefully thay will sort out a replacement soon !!!!!! Hopefully our dealer and Bailey will act on our first letter and they can show everyone that true customer service does still exist.

But if not i have plenty of pic s of the damp / mouldy areas and faulty manufactured panel , to go to court with if they decide to push us that far , i really hope this is not required as they both will loose in the long run , i have not named our dealer , or hinted their location so far , but hope i can sing their praise s soon !!

if this approach fails , then i will change tac and send and a second much stronger letter quoting how they have Breached the Sale of goods ACT etc .

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi frank i just wanted to say the 1st sterling we rejected the door frame was to big for the door. they wanted to falsely pack the door out i didnt want them falsely packing my door frame out on a brand new van. im sorry but i would reject it. the dealer we had offered us a van to borrow for our hols cant your dealer do this?.

jo

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
Sorry hear about your van , its terrible and should nt happan on a new van these days ,wheres there quality control?

Your Dealer Should have noticed this on ther PDI Inspection!

Who are they / where are they located?, as dependant on the outcome / the way your treated , WE can all steer clear of them or even Use them in the future knowing they have treated you well / fairly .

Surley Bailey will want to get involved in your case and help speed up the resolution, after all thay made it !, its their reputation, on the line.

Are you a member of the caravan club, as they a legl dept , Who will take upyour case.

Its such a shame you must be very upset.

Please keep us up to date with how you are treated,i will be following closely , as we were considering buying a Bailey this year, how your treated will effect our choice,

Good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your comments and advice, dealer has told us today that they are waiting to hear from Bailey before they can proceed.
Hi Frank, I too was told by my Dealer that they were waiting a reply from their supplier, baseing my thery that ever day you do not have a van, means that your planned holidays are in jepardy, contact the MD, I did this by email on severall occasions, each time advising that I was still waiting a reply to my original Email, eventually my caravan along with a apology from the Md was repaired, I have since part exchanged the van before more cracks could have appeared,

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank, I too was told by my Dealer that they were waiting a reply from their supplier, baseing my thery that ever day you do not have a van, means that your planned holidays are in jepardy, contact the MD, I did this by email on severall occasions, each time advising that I was still waiting a reply to my original Email, eventually my caravan along with a apology from the Md was repaired, I have since part exchanged the van before more cracks could have appeared,

Royston

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
When is caravan manufactering going to evolve from a cottage industry into a 21st century operation? There should be no reason why we all have to wait months for repairs to be carried out. With the amount of problems Bailey seem to be having with cracked panels they should maintain a small stock of replacements which can be dispatched to dealers the next day. If an authorised dealer says a panel needs replacing then Bailey should trust their judgement or have a mobile inspecteor to inspect the 'van within a day or two. As the recession bites deeper you would think manufacters would fall over themselves to keep their customer base.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

Royston
Royston, do you have the e mail address for the MD?

as we have missed this bank hol , and look likely to miss the next , its got to be worth a try ,

what model and where were the cracks ??

We have been advised that the law is on our side as its a MANUFACTURING FAULT (good job i took lots of pics )and we are entitled to get a replacement/ refund.

If it looks like they are dragging it out then we will hire a van to have our hols and claim the costs back in court.

But im still hopeful that our dealer will want to sort this out quicky , and Bailey too, after all any POOR/SLOW AFTER SALES service, will effect their long term future, as the internet means EVERY ONE CAN SEE HOW WE ARE BEING TREATED and can decide themselves if they want to deal with such companies .

so i'm hopeful that Good customer service does still exist

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
When is caravan manufactering going to evolve from a cottage industry into a 21st century operation? There should be no reason why we all have to wait months for repairs to be carried out. With the amount of problems Bailey seem to be having with cracked panels they should maintain a small stock of replacements which can be dispatched to dealers the next day. If an authorised dealer says a panel needs replacing then Bailey should trust their judgement or have a mobile inspecteor to inspect the 'van within a day or two. As the recession bites deeper you would think manufacters would fall over themselves to keep their customer base.
Thanks for your advice all

i will chasing both bailey and my dealer tues

Should i name my dealer what do people think? ater good & bad service should be in every ones interest ?

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Up date

We chased Bailey and our Dealer again today

Our dealer has put a proposal to us today - it's none of the 4 options that we asked to be coonsidered. Their option is we have the mouldy van back after its repair (end of June/July ish) and use it for what remains of the season (approx. 3 months use) and then pay them

G

Was reading about this on caravan talk forum, looks like Bailey have 'bailed out' of trying to help their customers on there.

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Tell the dealer to stick it ! Go to court and name and shame them !!

If everyone stuck up for their rights perhaps we wouldn't keep being palmed off with this kind on second rate product.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Frank

It looks like the dealer is onto a win win situation.

DO NOT ACCEPT THIS OFFER!!!

I have had a very bad experience with a dealer, and I named and shamed them as they let us down a week before we were supposed to collect our new caravan. It is not just about the money, but the stress, your time lost together as a family unable to go on holiday and all the emotion of it all. These dealers, don't realise that you are not just buying a piece of aluminium on wheels but a new lifestyle.

They should be bending over backwards to put things right not trying to take more money from you.

Please please do not pay them anymore money Frank. I think it is disgusting as it is their fault in the first place. They should be giving you a new van FOC.

I really feel for you, and hope you get it sorted. Keep us all posted. Take care, Sam x

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your kind replies, it didn't take long to decide to turn down their offer.

We haved chased up Bailey today and they said someone would get back to me today , GUESS WHAT NO ONE PHONED ME BACK

I will try again tommorow

I have rejected the dealer proposal that I pay them 3K for a new model in Sept /oct , and explained that I could see no benefit in it for me , but a lot of benefit for them. !!!!!

I have suggested we agree a dead line of 22 May for Bailey and my dealer to resolve the situation ie new replacement caravan or they give me a full refund and compensation.

This means they have had our van for a month! I feel that's more than reasonable amount of time for them to get their act together ?

My dealer says he can't proceed and is waiting for Bailey, and Bailey ( who are very nice on the phone / to speak to, ) but have not replied or even acknowledged our letter.

Am I unlucky or is this how the caravan trade in general treat people with problems !,time will tell.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone ,

My own Personal view point is , yes I can accept that" I was unlucky on being supplied this BAILEY RANGER WITH A SERIOUS MANUFACTURING DEFECT

and whether or not its 1% 3% 30 % of Baileys 2008 production WE HAVE PAID ALOT OF MONEY FOR A FAULTY PRODUCT , in todays climate any manufacturer should be taking ANY FAULT SERIOUSLEY and learn from them and treat their customers well , if they want to stay in business !

I accept that human errors can and do occur , but for me its how YOUR DEALER , AND MANUFACTURER TREAT YOU I believe they should work closely together and have a Business model on how they should behave and compensation solutions , ie replacement van within one month etc or , up grade or compensation for serious faults or if resolution takes months, and your family miss planned bank holidays etc etc

In MY CASE I have so far been offered the chance to replace our currrent faulty van with a new replacement model in Sept /Oct IF I PAY

G

I think youv'e been stitched up by your dealer and Bailey and have Bailey no shame? think its appalling the way they have treated you.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Le Croc.

It is over 2 weeks, getting on for 3 since you posted your first message about your situation and still there is no resolve.

This is valuable family time, you are losing as a family that could be spent away in your caravan.

I would buy a tent, charge it to the dealers and then camp outside until you get a firm answer and resolution to this problem.

Time to name and shame I think.

The way they are treating you is disgusting.

I really feel for you Frank.

Sam

G

I think its important to keep this at the top until Bailey get there finger out and replace Frank's pile of junk he's got, how many potential customers has this already cost? do Bailey
handjob.gif
care?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts