New-Be Caravaner here needing some advice!

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi All,

Thank you for looking

Just bought our first caravan (Bailey Orion 530/6) collecting next month after having a folding camper for 3/4 years.

Really looking forward to get use out of the van but wondered if some has any advice on which club to join as I have read conflicting reports! we are a family of 4 ,(children 2 and 3), we re aren't posh , but with the children being young, we like to have reasonable quiet after 8pm ,and have respect for those around.

I would go with the caravan and camping club but worried we might get stuck with groups in tents on the 'lash' can any one give me some guidance?

Thank you ( and am I am sorry this topic will prob. have been asked 10 thousand times)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to Caravanning and to the forum. We used C&CC sites a number of times and didn't have a problem. Caravans and tents are usually sited separately and mostly the wardens work hard to keep rules in place. There is always the exception of course, and people often report the one bad experience rather than the 20 good ones. Our experience of tenters is that they are also usually appropriately behaved, but we did have the "out on the lash" experience once. This was on a private site though not a C&CC site. The CAMC (previously the Caravan Club) tend not to have tents but If you go in term time you go, you may find yourself surrounded by us lovely (almost) retired people rather than families who have young children who can act as playmates to yours.
Mel

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Vega and welcome.
Like life, there are good and bad on campsites,too!
Fortunately though, they are in the minority.As Mel has said the CCC allow tents, but generally keep them separate, but honestly, in over fifty years caravnning, I have only ever complained twice, and they were diddicoys in France.
Just get in your van, go and enjoy!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have been on C&CC sites over many years and have had no problems. The tents near caravans are usualy family ones so not likely to be full of drunks. I would not worry but if you feel it might be a problem then join the Caravan and Motorhome club with similar facilities but far fewer tents.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Can only confirm what has been said, do not worry get out and enjoy your caravan. Something to consider later, attend some of the DA weekend rallies, some have youth sections with leaders, with us our children then had their own tents and camped under supervision in another part of the rally field. Also try the Temporary Holiday Sites, for example, last July and will be the same this year, 12 nights in York with only a 20 min walk into the city along the cycle path and only £8 a night! You will be off grid, gas and 12v only so you would need a few extras i.e. solar panel to keep your battery charged. No facilities, just use your caravans, water tap and toilet empty point only.

28420381771_6440b3a348_z.jpg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Vega, we are a pair of Grumpy old Sods , that enjoy the company of folk with young kids , and also Without. are members of both clubs, cl sites and cs sites can be best for all. We have dogs which are calm, and better than some peopless childrend. Go to sites and just enjoy. Eachto there own, see you somewhere sometime.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
It depends on where you want to go, we use the New forest campsites a lot over the summer and with C&CC you get 15% discount which more than covers the cost of going. We also find that a lot of families with children the same age as ours (6 & 8 ) tend not to be able to afford motorhomes or caravans so they go camping under canvass; we did that for years before getting our van.
I am not saying that the Caravan and Motorhome Club is not suited to families but my experience of the few sites on which we have stayed is that whilst the facilities are generally very good the sites are full up of older couples without children. The CMC club also has an annoying policy of not allowing pitches to be reserved, it is first come first served so that if you have to wait until after school to head off on a Friday you will get to the CMC site to find all of the best pitches being taken by retired couples in motorhomes which is annoying (to me anyway).
Saying that we are members of both clubs although I doubt that we will use any CMC sites this year at all.

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
We are members of both - CCC from our tenting days. We have kids ( 9 up) and have never had a problem except at a Camping in the Forest site. We will never go back.

I find the ethos of the CCC more in line with what we want to do.... CC seems to be more commercial and about expensive outfits (not our 14 year old 'van and 7 year old car). Also on CCC sites a warden will help you put your 'van on its pitch. I would recommend, for the sake of £45, to join both.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome,
we only started caravanning last year and joined the C&CC club just to see how we got on.
We have stayed at several C&CC sites i the last year and had a lovely time at each.
Some sites had some little activities/competitions for children when we have stayed during school holidays.
As already said they mainly keep caravans and tents to different parts of the site but all the sites we have stayed at have had a mixture of families and couples, tenters, caravaners and motorhomers.
We have always found the other folks on site and the wardens to be very friendly (and helpful if we had any problems) and had no problems with noise.
To be honest I think most people who enjoy camping of any type are generally just there to chill out !
Enjoy !

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello Vega and welcome!
Mrs Keith and I have only had a caravan for just over two years ..... after camping for 8 years and a brief skirmish with a folding camper.

We've been members of the Caravan and Camping Club for a few years and use a variety of sites, not just theirs, and have had no problems. I think we have a level of tolerance having camped for so long and we take the grown up kids and grandson with us on the main holiday so don't mind being mixed in!

Like many others, membership depends on what you want .... we've heard lots about the Caravan and motorhome club and have considered becoming members, but up to now have stuck to what we know.

Keith and Maxine :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts