New Lunar Caravans

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Anyone on here collected a new Lunar Caravan since Christmas?

Anyone about too?

Collected our new Lunar on Saturday, only to be told at handover that the carpets are delayed due to flooding at the factory that makes them. They will arrive from Lunar directly......... but no date given.

A couple of us on the Lunar FB page have confirmed we have been told the same.

I have today emailed Lunar directly to ask for clarification of when we will get them.

Its not the end of the world I know, and the flooding was pretty awful, so anyone who got caught up in them has my sympathies.

However, the dealer has all of the my money, and I don't have all of the caravan I ordered, nor do I have a date when it will be done.

I am right to be a little upset and expect some form of compensation for this, or I am being unreasonable?

Be interested to hear of anyone else in this situation and what they have been told?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello polisher

Technically the caravan is incomplete and therefore "not to contract". That puts the dealer in breach of contract. unless the t&c's of the contract you signed allow for delays and part deliveries. Read the contract.

But in reality, you want the caravan, and as you have already written , its not the end of the world. There is no legislation that requires sellers to make ex gratia payments for situations like yours. You must have been aware the carpets were not fitted when you collected the caravan, and at that point you could have legitimately refused to accept the caravan as it was in complete and therefore not to contract.

The fact the dealer explained the problem and you still agreed to accept the caravan, means you accepted the issue and the proposed remedy. That means you have agreed to vary the contract.

However I assume you are still within 30 days of receiving the caravan, and that means because the caravan is not complete you can still change your mind about it, and on the basis it is not as originally described, the seller is in breach of contract and you can ask for your money back.

Alternatively you could ask the dealer to come to you to fit the carpets, or you could insist the dealer collects the caravan from you so the carpets can be fitted, and then return it to you free of all charges.

THe CRA is quite clear on these issues, if a party breaches its contract, then they must inconvenience the other party as little as possible in correcting the breach.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Sorry polisher but yes I do think you're being unreasonable. We've seen a lot of lives turned upside down by flooding up here and I would say that everyone concerned is aware of the your situation and it will be rectified. I'm sure the dealer will ensure that they are sent directly to you as soon as they can be. Compensation for a few bits of carpet being delayed? p lease, that's going too far. If you feel that strongly about it all you should have kept back full payment or refused to collect. I'm sure a rug or slippers will suffice.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Polisher.
All is not lost .
Go to your local carpet store and buy an off cut for pennies. Loosely lay it and await the proper carpets in due course.
We change our carpets every two years .Saves worrying about trashing the originals which 8 years on are in the loft unused.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I do he same as DD, lift the new carpets, bag and store them, buy a peice of off cut and fit it myself all the way through and once a year take it out and Vax/ wash it and refit. Cost about £50 , this is the third van i have done it to.
Hutch.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that having paid for and accepted the caravan then you are stuck with the situation. Given that you were aware of the missing carpet when you paid I doubt you can reject now for that although you would need legal advice to be sure. Personally I would have held back may be £100 to cover this but it might not be possible if you were taking the balance above any deposit on credit.
I do tend to agree with Martin24 though that given the current situation it is unreasonable to complain about them being missing given many businesses have been flooded and the explanation does seem plausible.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Are you people for real?
Keeping the carpets stored in the loft, presumably so you can hand them over to the next owner.
Sorry but I think that's weird.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
SteveW77 said:
Are you people for real?
Keeping the carpets stored in the loft, presumably so you can hand them over to the next owner.

Nothing weird in protecting value of our investments when it comes to resale. A new custom set of carpet will effect the value of the trade in by a few hundred pounds.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Martin24 said:
SteveW77 said:
Are you people for real?

Nothing weird in protecting value of our investments when it comes to resale. A new custom set of carpet will effect the value of the trade in by a few hundred pounds.

Thanks Martin .
Exactly why we do it! A new set of carpets from Bailey is £400+. At px or sale a clean fresh set of carpets show the caravan has been well cared for. Plus we have two nuclear powered Springer Spaniels.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes we are for real, using my caravan all year round not just for maybe 5 months of the year , A fully fitted carpet like mine keeps the floor cleaner without grit and dirt underneath the carpets. Also have a carpet under the bed to stop storage bits slidding about to much. Nice carpets give a good resale value
Hutch

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, it is all in hand.

I know I accepted it without, understood completely the situation.

I am expecting an email from Lunar telling me when I am going to get them, hopefully!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Given that the carpets supplied with our new van in 2013 fell apart when cleaned witth a minimum amount of shampoo to which the maker and dealer replied that we shouldn't have got them wet at all, and that the replacements eventually supplied by the deal are of the same quality I would no lie awake at night worrying abouut not having any, apart from not having a pattern from which to make some using decent quality material ( and this is not exactly rocket science to do anyway)

I would be happy for several items like this carpets, microwave, tv - to be shown as options in the list price so I could save money on purchase and have my choice of quality.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Moderator Note: Totally uncalled for inflammatory remark removed.
This is not the first time this user has posted inappropriately but it will be the last.
Damian-Moderator

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Moderator Edit
Bertieboy.
Opinions and constructive comments or advice are fine, silly inflammatory comments which add nothing of any value to our message boards are not acceptable, therefore I have deleted the comment that you recently submitted.
Please respect other forum members and remain polite and friendly when adding comments.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
ThePolisher said:

I am expecting an email from Lunar telling me when I am going to get them, hopefully!

I hope they have given you a free service for the wait, thats what i would expect.

As for those lifting new carpets to replace with others i just dont't see the point, mine at 5 years old look like new.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
xtrailman said:
ThePolisher said:

I hope they have given you a free service for the wait, thats what i would expect.

As for those lifting new carpets to replace with others i just dont't see the point, mine at 5 years old look like new.

If you saw our dogs after a walk even after washing them down with the dog shower, the mud that gets brought in from outside never mind the drinks and food and cooking that gets spilt . The caravan is in use all year round all weathers and places. Then you may just see the point. :)
The fact is we will gain everything and lose nothing at the point of sale. Plus I can tell you the colour and quality of carpets out there are cheaper and far superior to the OEM. B)
Just love the shag pile :p

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
We have 2 sets of carpets, the originals and a scruffy set. When using hard standings on CC or commercial sites we have the original carpets in (which is most of the time), but when we are roughing it for a weekend in the middle of a field when the weather is due to be bad we put in the scruffy set. As Dustydog said it's down to how you use your van.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am with you Dusty, Two dogs, a nice walk and the sudden urge for a pee, when you are closer to the van than the loo's. We have a great Pride in our van but use it all year round, when we sell it the carpets will be like new, I PXed my last one and the sales man said leave the fitted ones in and gave me another £50. So it paid off that time.
And I hate new cars with the plastic covers still on the seats after 6 months. Ruined the new smell in our car by driving down to Cornwall to pick up 25 Pasties , when the car was 3 days old.
Each to there own though. I am sure Lord Brakewynde will have an opinion.
Hutch.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ruined the new smell in our car by driving down to Cornwall to pick up 25 Pasties , when the car was 3 days old.
Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/general/52359-new-lunar-caravans?start=10#8jieMbAbEy9YBUI5.99

You must have a voracious appetite Hutch :woohoo:
Now who's doing the pasties at the Woosiefest :unsure:

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The worst smell in mine was from transporting 3000 jam doughnuts. It took weeks to clear.

As far as the carpets are concerned with 3 dogs and 3 children we'll be sticking to the washable rugs from Lakeland. Maybe when the dogs and children are gone we might get to see what the upholstery looks like under the throws.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
With no dogs and only the occaisional grand child we leave the carpets in but did buy a protector to go across the front of the kitchen. The carpets have not been absolutely perfect but we have had no comments on them either. As far as we know we have not lost anything because of their condition.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Personally speaking, I would keep the carpets and get rid of the dogs.
To me there is only one smell worse than dogs in a caravan and that's cigarette smoke.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Oh well Steve, you would not want to come to my van. I hate it when smokers stand outside of buildings, at the entrances, I understand folks have addictions and cravings. But please dont force complience of anything on anyone.
Hutch.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
SteveW77 said:
Personally speaking, I would keep the carpets and get rid of the dogs.
To me there is only one smell worse than dogs in a caravan and that's cigarette smoke.

Oh Dear :huh:

And there's me thinking I had BO :( Now it seems it's DO :p

Can you take drugs for that :silly: :blink:

Good job my Spaniels can't read, they may have got the hump :whistle:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts