New members, talk to us - PLEASE!

Page 8 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I would like to think we are a very friendly and helpful group!
Welcome to the group

The research and talking to lots of people and looking at lots of Motorhome layouts is very important.

Borrow or hire one for a week or so, that way you wil get a good feel for what works for you and what doesn't .....

Enjoy

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks - you seem a very friendly group :)

Went to look at my first motor home a Swift Ace Capri 2007 approx 23000 miles.
Looked superb, drove well (pulled like a train), has a partial mechanical and Habitation history, 4 services and the last habitation check was 2013.
However while crawling underneath the plastic membrane covered floor was spongy, especially under the shower, where there was white staining, some by the steps and more at the very rear of the floor - there was new silicone between the body and plastic bumper.
I'm aware Swift built motor homes can be prone to this problem. Is this a 'walk away' issue or is there a reasonably priced remedy? What do you think?

Many thanks,

Jeremy

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
My personal experience of coachbuilt vans is way out of date now, but from all I read, here and elsewhere, it sounds like a walk away to me.
Dampness in any coachbuilt is notoriously hard to deal with fully - or even find the source of with any certainty (although the shower is an obvious suspect here, at least for some of it)

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
We had a problem with damp in our van 3 years or so ago, which appears to have been less serious than described. It cost us around £1200-£1300 to fix. If you are buying from a dealer and they will fix it (and do full services) within the price then (depending what that is) it may be worth it. If it is from a private seller I should walk away.
Graham

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks Tony, that's what I feared. I've seen cases where Swift have taken full responsibility and replaced the affected floor but that's a gamble. Think I'll look elsewhere.

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks Graham, that's interesting to hear. It's a private sale so there's no comeback. It seems it is a walk away as you advise.

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi, Retiring at the end of January 2017 and looking forward to purchase of first MH. Considering Mobilvetta K Yacht or Rapido. Looking forward to travelling europe.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Itjob, and welcome.
Trying to work out whether your username means you work with computers or you're a member of The Self-Preservation Society (patron M. Caine).
Given you're about to retire (like me) my money is on the latter!
Merry Christmas.

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
have taken the plunge and am buying a used Eldis Autoquest 120 from a dealer.
Going for a final test drive and look over tomorrow just to have a last opportunity before committing.
Any ideas as to what to look out for at the handover?
It's 5 years old, comes with a 6 month warranty, a full PDI including mechanical service and Habitation check. Would you recommend a separate inspection such as those offered by the caravan club?

Thanks.

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully collecting it on the 23rd.
Unable to find a willing engineer to inspect the van - two didn't return my call, one didn't want to travel 18 miles to inspect it, and one was too busy and one hadn't changed his OOO message from Christmas!
Checked underneath (with a rechargeable LED work light - how have I managed without one all these years?) again for de-laminating with no sponginess and no rust on the chassis. Tyre side walls are ok - no splits or cracks. Body seals appear fine, no cracking or peeling. Bodywork also fine.

Mechanically it drives well, pulls strongly, steers and brakes straight, a few rattles but doubt any Eldiss is rattle free especially when empty.
The worrying issue is the non extinguishing Engine Warning Light (pointed out by the Dealer) caused by the cat being removed (to prevent theft) and replaced prior to the test drive. It will be remedied before collection and could be a deal breaker if it isn't. Peugeot dealer suggested switching the engine on and off again - that reminds me of something?!
The van comes with a 6 month warranty both Habitation and Mechanical are covered and I know someone who has bought from this dealer and is happy with the experience.
Couple of issues:
Gas bottle - is this normally supplied or are you expected to provide one? Borrow one from the dealer to test the cooker and fridge?
Leisure battery - how to test it. Just like an ordinary 12v battery or another approach?
What have I missed?
Any suggestions, comments much appreciated:)

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jeremy, welcome!
Quick response to your questions:
Unless it was mentioned when you sealed the deal, the dealer isn't obliged to provide a gas bottle. But you are entitled to be shown everything working, which (you're quite right) will involve them connecting a gas supply. You could try the "innocent" approach, and ask "What are you doing?" if they then start to remove it!
There should be a meter built into the electrical control panel to show how the leisure battery is doing - ask to be shown it.
Now, let the adventure begin!

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks Tony, very helpful advice.
I've only paid a deposit so have some wriggle room when it comes to things like the gas bottle so will test my negotiating skills B)
I'm only used to old VW leisure battery set ups so having a gauge is luxury! :cheer:
Thanks again, lots to learn!

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Well took the plunge and there's an Elddis Autoquest 120 sitting in the front garden at the moment.
Didn't get a gas bottle thrown in but did get a new 110amp leisure battery so swings and roundabouts.

The day before collection and in hindsight, foolishly, I bought a Milenco wheel clamp suitable for 14" or 15" wheels (on Gumtree) but have now found out the hard way, it is the C14 model and therefore suitable only for caravans - doh. Anyone have an M15 model they want to sell?
Full marks to EmmBee for the comprehensive debrief at handover, took the best part of 2 hours. Lots to learn - it's bewildering isn't it?
Any advice on the priority of things I should be doing, thinking of with the van?

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Main priority now is to ENJOY it JT.
Have a couple of one-night trips, not too far from home, to get the hang of what works best for you and what else you might need.
To make those spontaneous getaways easier, gradually equip your van with duplicates of toiletries, kitchen utensils, crockery, cutlery etc. Aim for a situation where all you need to add is some clothes. We even make sure there are always a few tins on board, enough for at least one simple meal.

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well done. Enjoy your new van. BUT don't over fill, you need to watch your weight.Put just basic items in. You do not need all things you need in a house!!.

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Hello. We've been motorhoming since 2010 (before that caravan and before that a tent). We love it!
However, at the moment we are without a MH as it was sent back to Bailey (the manufacturer) for warranty repairs and whilst it was there it was stolen (one of their employees left the keys in it!). Communication by Bailey is terrible and they don't reply to our emails asking for updates and information. I'm sorry if I'm coming over as negative in my first post but we are devastated and at a loss as to why Bailey won't reply to our emails.

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
If Bailey are prevaricating it may be worth your while instructing a solicitor to write to them to remind them they owe you a motor home! You can add his/her fees to your claim :)

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
So sorry to hear this.
Jeremy is right - a solicitor's letter can often help if you're not getting anywhere.

But I also wonder if someone from the magazine could take this up with Bailey? They get a lot of good publicity from both the mag and the TV show, so might take notice of our editor or one of the team? Just a thought.

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi Folks
New member from N Ireland.
We bought our first Motorhome last June and are loving it ever since. As expected I have come across a couple of small issues that I like to work through and have done so. So if I can assist anyone or offer advice...I will try my best.
I have come across problems and I soon learnt I will continue to come across even more problems. I like to tackle these problems myself (within my capabilities), and enjoy the satisfaction of solving them myself. Also saving a few ££££.
Mark

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Welcome Mark,
hope storm Doris is giving you a wide berth, it's bashing us here in the North West :(
We've had ours for all of a month so have yet to use it in anger but it has the dreaded 'squeaky rear springs' syndrome. Someone has tried white lithium grease (not worked) and I've squirted silicone spray in and around which has reduced the noise but not eliminated it, any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts