New members, talk to us - PLEASE!

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Hello again.
As the delivery date for my motorhome approaches, I wanted to check the standard for payments. I am being asked to make stage payments, with 85% paid before delivery. Is that normal and what comebacks do I have if there are any problems?

Thanks.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how "normal" this is, as it's a few years ago since I bought mine.
85% before delivery does sound a lot though. A significant deposit is understandable, but staged payments to this extent sound as if your van is being built by a small converter, who needs the cash flow to keep working. Nothing wrong with that in principle, but you want to be confident that your money, and your vehicle, are safe!
A few questions to think about:
Are you dealing with a large, reputable dealer?
If a smaller outfit, were they recommended by satisfied customers?
Are you getting regular, credible, updates that reassure you delivery will be on time?
Where is all this money being held in the meantime? Whether with the dealer, an importer, or the converter, are you happy that THEY'RE reliable and solvent?

These questions are intended to reassure you, not to worry you! Hundreds of people every week take delivery of motorhomes from large and small companies, and drive off fully satisfied into their new life!

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Tony.
I am buying from a large dealer, but the motorhome is coming from Italy (Rollerteam). The split of funds being requested is actually 60% 6 weeks before delivery, 25% one week before delivery and the remaining 15% on collection. I am therefore due them 60% now.

Ken

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
When we bought our van new. We paid £1000.00 deposit and the balance by bank transfer on the day we collected the van! BUT our van is British made

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everyone

I have just registered as, at some point this coming autumn, I'm going to 're-live' the experience my late husband and I shared when we purchased a second hand Hobby motorhome from Germany in 2007.

Sadly, after my husband passed away, I sold our beloved Hobby 750 but, as is always the case when material things equate to happy memories, I've regretted selling it - despite the fact that it was way to big for me as a 5'2" female!

So, in October or November this year, I am determined to go out to Germany again and purchase a smaller/used Hobby motorhome - something like a Siesta, me thinks. Now in order not be viewed as 'totally loopy' by my totally non-owing/inexperienced family and friends (when it comes to motorhomes and the joy of owning one), I have put on my 'practical' hat and decided to ask through this lovely forum if there is anyone with good technical/motorhome buying expertise that fancies a trip out to Germany to help me to purchase the perfect vehicle? It's a big ask but could also be a really enjoyable experience. Even if you're a couple who fancy buying one yourselves abroad, please feel free to contact me. If anyone interested can speak even a smidgen of German, that'd be great!

If this trip is something that interests you, I'd be delighted to hear from you! Meanwhile, happy camping, motorhoming, caravanning this glorious (err....this week) spring!

Marianne

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Marianne!
I admire your bravery and determination. You're not alone - plenty of widows and widowers either continue motorhoming "solo" or, like you, resume it when they realise how much they miss the lifestyle!
I'm pretty sure I've come across online groups specially for solo motorhomers, although I can't remember contact details for any of them. Maybe someone else can?
All the best with your new adventure - and with finding companions for the first stage of it!

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much, Tony, for the warm welcome!

I'll be glad to hear from anyone who may have also bought in Germany or who can offer me a 'Practical Guide to Buying a Used Motorhome in Europe'!

Night all,
Marianne

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
HELLO!
Thought I'd introduce myself, although a bit late.
I have been a caravanner for about 11 years now.
I retired last October and recently I have been thinking about a motorhome instead of a caravan.
I have been looking at motorhomes for some weeks now and I feel that the Auto Sleeper Symbol 540 would be a good choice.
Having said that, I find that the 5.4 m are few and far between.
Someone I was talking to said the fuel consumption is high on motorhomes. Could someone give me some idea of what mpg I could expect should I purchase one.
I am thinking of perhaps a 2012/13 model 2.2 deisel.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
BrownhillsBob said:
Someone I was talking to said the fuel consumption is high on motorhomes. Could someone give me some idea of what mpg I could expect should I purchase one.
I am thinking of perhaps a 2012/13 model 2.2 deisel.
Fuel consumption is higher than a car on its own but I don't know how towing a caravan affects a car's consumption.
Our van is a 2003 model, 6.75m with a 2.8 JTD engine and our previous one was a 2004, 5.5m with a 2.0 engine. Both returned about 30 mpg at a speed of 50-55 mph, which we find fine for most journeys.
Graham

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'd have thought you'd manage that in a Symbol. The thing that really hammers fuel consumption on a traditional motorhome is the shape, especially if there's a big bulge over the cab.
If I remember rightly, the Symbol is a panel van with a pretty smoothly sloping high roof isn't it? Much like my Transit then, and I always get more than 30, usually 32-35. I'm not shy with the right foot either.

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello Tony, thank you for your reply.
You are correct, the Symbol is based on a Peugeot Boxer and yes it is a van conversion.
There are pro's and con's to both caravans and motorhomes and I want to be sure of my decision before I make it.
I will continue to look at the forum on this site and pick up what information I can.

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Lizzie for your welcome message.
I am finding plenty of info on your website, I have just come across a link to gjh website 'motorhomeparking.co.uk' and various links which I am finding very informative.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi, just joined this evening. In the process of buying our first motorhome. We have had a static caravan for 10 years and are bored of the same place.

Expect lots of questions and hope you all can help in some way!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul, welcome to your new life. Looking forward to hearing your questions. Just thinking about your username...
When you've asked NEARLY all your questions, will you put your hand on the door handle, turn round, and say "Just one more thing..."?

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Colombo said:
Hi, just joined this evening. In the process of buying our first motorhome. We have had a static caravan for 10 years and are bored of the same place.

Expect lots of questions and hope you all can help in some way!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
First question to you all and sorry if this should be (or has already been asked) in a different thread somewhere.

I've spent the last two weeks scouring Autotrader, this site and various dealer sites looking for the ideal van for ourselves. We have two small children and we've decided that a lounge at the back for us in the evening is the best layout. That way we can put the two kids to sleep in the front dinette or above the cab.

The best van we've seen is the Autotrail Apache 700 or the Autotrail Scout which is basically the same only a couple of feet longer. We were in an Apache in a local dealer here and it was a really well made van. However after visiting a second dealer and mentioning Autotrail he rolled his eyes and told us of the multitude of problems he has had with them due to leaking seals at the windows and above the drivers seat. I googled this later and there do seem to be a lot of incidents of people reporting autotrail leaks online, Can anyone else help me on this? I've had a static caravan for over 10 years and I'm well aware that water is always a problem in camping no matter how much you spend on these things. I would just like to buy a vehicle that keeps these problems to a minimum.

Any advice is welcome.

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
haven't yet bought a motor home but thought it a good idea to see what I'm letting myself in for...hope you're a friendly group?!

Jeremy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts