New members, talk to us - PLEASE!

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Fluffy one, like Tony says, I'd look at Panel Van Conversions [PVCs]. If you don't know what these look like, look on the Auto Sleepers website under van conversions. If buying new or nearly new, you'll also find recent models of narrow coachbuilts, look on the Hymer website for examples. A PVC will usually be 6m long, or 6.3m on some of the newer ones. Camper vans tend to be shorter than 6m and thus are more of a compromise.

Scottferg, motorhomes have great visibility and are easier to drive than some cars. Just remember you are not 'white van man' and take it easy because you are driving a house on wheels and you want the crockery in one piece when you get wherever your journey takes you.

PCB

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi all
I am a newly joining member, having been a caravanner for some years, have decided to get a motorhome and decided on a 2014 6m Bailey 522 and will collect it next friday.
So have lots of questions when I remember them all.
Firstly do any members have the same model? the related questions will follow.
General question is if I have 2 10kg gas cylinders on board, can I get replacements in france, spain and portugal, or will I need different adaptors?

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
hi am just about to sell my beloved T25 VW camper van as I want a little more luxury in my life!! I have a £20 to 25 grand budget and need 3 births. Lounge size more important than bathroom size as would shower on site. Would like something no longer than 6m and with a fixed double at the back. Any ideas welcome lovely people or if anyone is selling I am in kent.

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum PCB!!!
Your UK gas cylinders are only available in the UK. The only true large universal cylinders are the refillable types and even then there is no Europe wide standard for the fittings and some type of adapter may be necessary. if you only use a small amount of gas then the Camping -gaz 907 is available at home and abroad.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
A warm welcome to both Peter and Tina!
Peter, we have a Gaslow system fitted (other brands available, but they're the 'hoover"). As Roger says, it's the only truly universal system, apart from Campingaz which is VERY expensive per litre. We just fill up at a petrol station, rarely costs more than a fiver.
Tina, since you're changing up from a T25, you'll find that even a similar sized van will give you a lot more room - you wouldn't believe how much space you've been wasting on that rear engine! Keep us posted on how your search progresses.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hope you enjoy your new home, we are new to the Motorhome scene, really enjoying the new freedom !

We have a Swift Escape, despite being 7m long and 2.3m wide its no bother to drive at all ....

Enjoy, hope we see you on the road sometime

Enjoy and welcome

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Folks

I am Andy, currently living in Shetland. Contemplating getting a motorhome after finding out that a 6 month hire will be between £15-25k for something the size that interests me. Budget around £10k max. No previous motorhome expeience. Camped occasionally in tents up until now, mostly wild camping, but recently some sites as well, including one which was £20 per night for a small tent and one person - won't be rushing back there! Touring up to now has been either motorbikes, pushbikes or a car.

No guarantee that I will buy a motorhome, but I would like to get away touring Europe with my other half, especially over the eatern side, and a motorhome seems like a good solution. I am here to absorb knowledge!

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello all not been on for a for a while have been researching and searching for the right motorhome am off tomorrow to test drive a Swift Bolero hope it drives as good as it looks !!

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
billk said:
Hello all not been on for a for a while have been researching and searching for the right motorhome am off tomorrow to test drive a Swift Bolero hope it drives as good as it looks !!

Hi there and thanks for posting. Which Swift Bolero are you considering? Also, if you're looking at motorhomes for sale, don't forget about our recently-launched classifieds website.

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
HI Lizzie it is the 680fb 2008 model have seen it once and taking it out for a drive today. Have been keeping an eye on the classifieds as well !

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Well have taken the plunge have today sorted out the purchase of our first motorhome the afor mentioned swift bolero fb hope to pick her up next weekend. We are very excited and very nervous having never done motorhoming before not done caravanning for a long time .

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Many congratulations on buying your first motorhome! We hope you're really happy with it. If you have any questions about your 'van or touring in it, there are plenty of people on this forum with loads of experience who'd be happy to help.

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for that will probably bore people with simple questions such as where to get reasonably priced gb and european breakdown cover for a van that is over 7 meters in length ?

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
That's great BillK

I am sure you will enjoy the Motorhome, we bought our first this year and are enjoying using it a great deal, we have found some great sites and met some lovely folks along the way.

Hope you enjoy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Have a great trip out ......

There are so many nice sites to visit, whereabouts are you in the country ?

We have done Dorset and Norfolk plus Warwickshire .....

Enjoy

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
We are in the northwest going to north Yorkshire we think depending on finding a suitable site. We will definately enjoy ourselves that is the whole point is it not ?

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
A lovely area of the country, planning on heading "Up North" ourselves

Worth looking at the Top 100 sites list , we also use the "Tranquil Parks" sites too

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
picked up our swift bolero yesterday we are so pleased and excited. We would like to say a big thank you to Steve and Jay at Caravans ans Campers in Wem for their help and outstanding service now comes the fun bit getting out and about !!!!

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi All We are newbies to motorhoming but have decided to dive straight in by hiring for three weeks in January for a three week tour of Spain . Wish us luck
Dave And Jane C

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dave and Jane, welcome!
Sounds a good plan, on at least three counts.
Spain has to be better than here in January;
Three weeks should tell you if motorhoming is right for you or not;
And hiring gives you chance to work out what sort of van you want, when you're ready to buy.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Are you using a long crossing straight to Spain, or driving through France? The latter is much cheaper, even allowing for fuel and motorway tolls, but will take quite a few days out of your three weeks.

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Spain in january can be very busy, with "snowbirds". Sites will be very busy in the popular areas. You may need to book. If you have not heard of ACSI. it is worth having if you intend to go out of season, it can pay for itself in 1 night!! Look on www.VicariousBooks.co.uk, they are agents. Well worth the £13.95 cost

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts