New Tyres and Tyron bands

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have just bought a second hand caravan built in 1999. The previous owner said the tyres have been on the caravan since new. I understand that tyres should be changed every five years.

Do you know how to go about finding a good deal on new tyres and Tyron Bands as I have been informed they are a great safety feature to have ie: tyre does not go totally flat and does not come off the rim.

What is your opinion on Tyron bands, and as there are so many different types of tyres where do I start.

Many thanks

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You'll need to establish the size AND load index of the tyres before searching.

For the tyres try www.Tyretraders.com - their prices need the cost of fitting to be added on but still work out much cheaper than caravan dealers.

It might be cheaper to buy the Tyron bands mailorder but check the tyre depot's extra fitting charge BEFORE you commit an order.

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Bones, If you are looking for a good price on tyres try www.mytyres.co.uk . I use them and find the service great.Prices quoted include delivery, but you will have to find a fitter. I have read about Tyron Bands and they look like a good idea, but we believe we have found a better one. Get a puncture with a Tyron Band and you may stop safely but you still have a flat tyre and a wheel to change. We have bought a liquid that squirts into the tyres(through the air valve), sloshes around inside and instantly seals any punctures in the tread - saving time, money and inconvenience.The product is called Super-Guard Tyre Sealant and it is suitable for - cars, motorbikes,caravans, trailers and more( my husband is planning to put some in to his bicycle tyres).I am not sure what price Tyron Bands are but this sealant is about

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Chrissie, Quote from sealant leaflet - "Once Super-Guard is injected into a tyre it will seal punctures in the tread of the tyre as they occur, thus eliminating tyre deflation. Super -Guard seals punctures as they happen - instantaneously, affecting a permanent seal with negligible loss of air pressure." "Seals hole after hole, with minimum air loss, again and again" I have seen this product demonstrated on tv - a car drove over a bed of nails and kept on going, the tyre still inflated. I would not use it if I did not believe it helps to increase our safety on the roads. Eileen.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I have for years used a product called ultraseal which is a lifetime guaranteed sealant applied through the tyre valve. It has been proven through rigorous testing to permanently seal punctures of upto 6mm diameter. It also takes heat from the tyre carcass enabling lower tyre temperatures and therefore extende tyre life. It's been tested by NASA,BMW,NYPD to name just a few. At

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bones, I am in a similar position to you, with a 2000 van in need of new tyres. I was pleasantly surprised after a visit to a small independent tyre firm to find that my 14 inch tyres are classed as light commercial and are fairly common. He quoted

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bones, I am in a similar position to you, with a 2000 van in need of new tyres. I was pleasantly surprised after a visit to a small independent tyre firm to find that my 14 inch tyres are classed as light commercial and are fairly common. He quoted

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can see some justification for Tyron bands on a caravan which is not subjected to such high dynamic loads as a car but I have reservations about using them on cars despite the manufacturer's claims. Although they would prevent the tyre from coming off the rim, which, after all, is what they're meant to do, they significantly increase the moment of inertia of the wheel and the unsprung mass, so they must impose heavier loads to the braking system. In the case of police cars or other emergency vehicles which have them fitted, their maintenance schedule probably takes this into account and the brake pads and linings are replaced more often. However, as car manufacturers are reluctant to accept responsibility for anything which potentially reduces the lifetime of a component, Tyron bands are not offered as an approved factory option. Tyron bands are therefore OK for some applications but shouldn't be considered a cure-all without any disadvantages.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bones, just as a rider, i always get my wheels balanced when fitting new tyres,find the caravan pulls a lot smother less vibration.

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
many thanks for all your responses i am now trying to find an outlet who supplies the bands and have found a good place for the tyres and they will fit the bands for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts